Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin irritation after barber visit

• 09-01-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but since I couldn't find a "Barbering & hairdressing" one, here goes...

I got a cut in a well known Dublin barbers around a year ago. My neckline was trimmed with an open razor and I remember thinking it stung a bit, but at the time didn't think anything more of it.

A few weeks passed and I visited a different barber. The first thing they said was "Goodness, what happened to your neck?" Upon viewing it in the mirror the red blotches were immediately clear. I explained and they said that the razor was most likely the culprit. It sounds crazy, but I hadn't noticed the issue since the previous haircut (how many times do you look at the back of your neck in the mirror?)

Anyway, the end result is that a year later, the redness has subsided a little but is still there. Not so much irritating but very visible since my hair is fairly short at the back.

My questions are:-

1. What could have caused it - from memory the blade was taken from a glass of fluid on the shelf?

2. What is the issue likely to be and is there a simple treatment, or is it a visit to the doc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Sorry... but I have to ask - do you still have the irritation on your neck a year later?

EDIT -> Sorry, was speed reading and see that you still have some irritation. It could be some sort of dermatitis, a reaction to the blade.

The practice would not be uncommon, to shave the back of the neck with a razor, so I wouldn't say the barber is to blame, unless they were using a real old, crappy, dull blade.

I'd go and see a doctor and they might be able to prescribe you a steroid cream or the like to help heal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

I hear what you're saying, but I've had many hundreds of haircuts many of which have used an open razor, and I can't recall having an issue like this before, which makes me think it was a dodgy blade.

Another barber I spoke to said a fresh blade should be used every time - as I said this one came from a jar on the shelf. It's all academic now I suppose so looks like I may have to visit the doc. It's one *very* well known barber that I won't be using again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Hydrocortisone or something along those lines might help it. Probably best to go to the doctor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Just reading that in parts of the US, barbers have to use disposable razors - anyone know if the same applies here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Barbers in many states do have to use disposable ones and in other states they dont have to. In most states however, barbers use disposable ones as there is almost no maintanence compared to a real straight razor.

If the barber that shaved you used a real straight razor, and took it from a jar of barbicide before shaving your neck, it should be steralised. It's possible that the shave started something or it may just be a coincidence.

Go to your GP or a dermatologist and find out what's going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement