Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

deise08 wrote: »
    Grey crows need to feed their chicks too. :(

Not with my food they don't. B*stards. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

People in supermarkets who assume its their right to eat a few grapes while browsing through the fruit section

You're for the birds

People who pass a skip outside a house and assume they can throw all their rubbish into it.

People who express their grattitude by saying 'sound' instead of thank you.

• Advertisement

People who express their grattitude by saying 'sound' instead of thank you.

And people who say 'cheers' instead of thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

And people who say 'cheers' instead of thank you

God I hate people who say cheers. My granny used to write 'cheers' on the few xmas/bday cards she did manage to send to me. She was a wagon and because of that, I now hate the word 'cheers'.

You're for the birds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

You're for the birds

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Any topic about college. You'll always get some people that make some sort of comment of the persons grammar as if you still study English in college. (well, some do but most dont). You need a ordinary level pass in the leaving cert for the majority of courses, not past experience writing Shakespearean sonnets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grey crows need to feed their chicks too. :(

why...far too many of them...:rolleyes: they steal from the wee birds i feed.:(

Graces7 wrote: »
    why...far too many of them...:rolleyes: they steal from the wee birds i feed.:(

Ah graces!
    I thought you were a woman of the world?
    All creatures great and small and all that......

Ah graces!
    I thought you were a woman of the world?
    All creatures great and small and all that......

i am a woman of the world but that does not mean all creatures are ....simpatico...i have a sturdy mystical streak and large black birds give me the creeps. magpies too and great black backed gulls

after all, these are all creatures who predate on other critters. had a kitten taken by a magpie and lost many chicks to gulls. chicks that would have grown to feed me and others..

as i say to folk who speak as you do. taking what you say, should we welcome slugs on our vegetable plants, or the microbes etc that cause illnesses. or let mice and rats loose in your kitchen..

sentimental i am not! far too much a woman of the world for that;)

when i am at one weekly market i feed sparrows and a robin but chase off any crow that tries to muscle in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Male skangers in pajamas. I didn't know until today that the disease of pajama wearing in public had crossed the gender divide. Saw a guy wearing pajama bottoms, flip flops and a hoody in the shopping centre today. I thought it was bad with women/girls doing it but there's just something utterly depressing seeing guys dress like that in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Male skangers in pajamas. I didn't know until today that the disease of pajama wearing in public had crossed the gender divide. Saw a guy wearing pajama bottoms, flip flops and a hoody in the shopping centre today. I thought it was bad with women/girls doing it but there's just something utterly depressing seeing guys dress like that in public.

Whaaaaaaa'?? :eek:

Ohh Christ please let this just be that one guy that thinks he has to be "an individual", rather than an indication that the phenomenon has indeed crossed gender divides!

Bad enough we see women at this craic without men joining them in a race to the bottom.

Meanwhile - 'siblings'?

It can't be that difficult to say 'brothers and sisters'. 'Siblings' always sound so aloof and impersonal.

Czarcasm wrote: »

Ohh Christ please let this just be that one guy that thinks he has to be "an individual", rather than an indication that the phenomenon has indeed crossed gender divides!

Bad enough we see women at this craic without men joining them in a race to the bottom.

Meanwhile - 'siblings'?

It can't be that difficult to say 'brothers and sisters'. 'Siblings' always sound so aloof and impersonal.

There's a fella actually regularly comes into our shop with a onesie on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

maguic24 wrote: »
    Doing a poo straight after taking a shower. Soul destroying!! :(

Baby wipes...problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Saw two guys at Dublin Airport Departures, in onesies, last year.

speaking of clothes, heavily pregnant women wearing skin tight clothes..last time i was at the hospital there was clearly a maternity clinic down the corridor..they may as well have been naked.

Czarcasm wrote: »

Meanwhile - 'siblings'?

i like the word siblings. but i got used to it on a remote island where inbreeding was a danger so they all knew who was "sib". cosy word..my two home cats are siblings. i use the word a lot

• Advertisement

itch, itch, itch under my cast. keep even now forgettng it is there and banging my hand against the cold, alien rigidity. too drattedly painful to hope for early release either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Graces7 wrote: »
    itch, itch, itch under my cast. keep even now forgettng it is there and banging my hand against the cold, alien rigidity. too drattedly painful to hope for early release either

Talc Powder, honestly. As long as there's no wound on the skin this works a treat.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Talc Powder, honestly. As long as there's no wound on the skin this works a treat.

dont have any..it ha s eased thankfully..but dreading opd on friday. too old for all this now. sigh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Sean Moncrieff's Crossfire quiz show is
    really annoying me at the moment as there is such a macho air about it. Mostly guys on it. Was wondering if many women applied to enter. A guy, Shane, who was on it tonight said that his mother had been the one to see the notice about the show. They had both been on quiz programmes previously and she had done better than he had. Both of them had applied for Crossfire but only he was accepted! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

That freaking foil thingy under the lid off 'me' freakin tub of butter! it's grand for the first couple off days, then......... covered in butter!! I swear next tub I open am just gonna whistle cool-ely,peel the fcukin thing off and fcuk it in the bin :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

brooke 2 wrote: »
    really annoying me at the moment as there is such a macho air about it. Mostly guys on it. Was wondering if many women applied to enter. A guy, Shane, who was on it tonight said that his mother had been the one to see the notice about the show. They had both been on quiz programmes previously and she had done better than he had. Both of them had applied for Crossfire but only he was accepted! :(

I'd say they go for youth. It is quite a good quiz show but I don't see how it's macho.

Why wouldn't he!! you work in the Centra beside the MENTAL:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Elmo wrote: »
    I'd say they go for youth. It is quite a good quiz show but I don't see how it's macho.

I watch a lot of quiz shows and I have never seen such a gender imbalance as there is on Crossfire. Jonathan McCrea
    has just completed 'The Lie' and there was a far better cross-section of people
    among the participants.

I doubt very much the producers set out to have an imbalance both shows are produced by the same company. On the two occasions I have seen crossfire there was one woman playing.

It's better than the lie tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

really annoying me at the moment as there is such a macho air about it. Mostly guys on it. Was wondering if many women applied to enter. A guy, Shane, who was on it tonight said that his mother had been the one to see the notice about the show. They had both been on quiz programmes previously and she had done better than he had. Both of them had applied for Crossfire but only he was accepted! :([/b]

There. Just, the mere mention of that clown, the 'cute hoor' head on him, the sharp, ear-splitting tone of his voice like he's been sucking helium when he's not on air... Sneery, snivelling little shìte! :mad:

Phew, that was coming a while! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mr. Z

I would probably break the internet if I was to post all the trivial things that annoy me.

Mr. Z wrote: »
    I would probably break the internet if I was to post all the trivial things that annoy me.

Ging-Seng and St. John's Wort will cut that list in half :)

I doubt very much the producers set out to have an imbalance both shows are produced by the same company. On the two occasions I have seen crossfire there was one woman playing.

It's better than the lie tbh

One woman and three men tonight.
    Four men and no woman another night.

It is a very different show from 'The Lie'.
    That is irrelevant to the point I am making.

'The Chaser' and 'Pointless'
    on other stations are very different
    also but I have never observed a
    gender imbalance on any of those, or
    on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?'

Am just saying that I find Crossfire increasingly annoying, even though I think the format is good. I agree they are probably trying to keep it 'young and cool' (and majorly male, obviously!)

If so, that is very arrogant of them
    and quite alienating for some of us! :(

ardle1 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he!! you work in the Centra beside the MENTAL:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I fecking feel like I do with some of the things I see! you wouldn't believe half of the stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 OneoOne1

People who say
    "No pun intended"

• Advertisement

Went swimwear shopping yesterday, just wanted to buy a nice, fashionable, cheap holiday one. Couldn't find one bloody togs without padding in the chest! Wtf. grrr.
    Wasn't planning on buying the proper sports ones cos it'd only be used on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

People who always have an excuse when you give them a solution to a problem. If you offer a band aid for a cut they have an allergy to them.

And old people (says he who is over 70!) Who complain about their health constantly. The aches, the pains, but still can do their gardens. I know we all get aches but it's the mentioning it at every opportunity that gets me. And older people, again I'm afraid, who cry the poor mouth all the time. They can't afford to turn on the cooker or buy coal or meat yet they keep a car on the road, feed a virtual zoo of dogs and cats and are on the same pensions and allowances as most of us who live very comfortably without a moan thank you.

Sorry for the rant but I just saw all this again this morning and thought...trivial but annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Gossipers who like to bitch about other gossipers.

One of the girls in the office likes to have a bit of a chat with another girl and today she was bitching about a friend of hers who is a chronic gossiper. She seems oblivious that she is just as bad seeing as not only is she going on about her friend's gossiping but also telling the other girl in the office what the gossip was about which was her main gripe to begin with!

Am just saying that I find Crossfire increasingly annoying, even though I think the format is good. I agree they are probably trying to keep it 'young and cool' (and majorly male, obviously!)

If so, that is very arrogant of them
    and quite alienating for some of us! :(

Ok I am going to be completely banned from this forum, main because of my use of the word "girl" earlier but.....

I would say it is a coincidence that the show has more men than women. I'd not have noticed only you've pointed it out, does that make it a macho programme .... I don't know. That would be like suggesting that it was a feminine programme had you noticed only women on the show. E.g. a more irritating show Winning Streak has a much higher number of women on that programming.... does it make it any worse than it already is? no.

I do feel as a man interest in the media the feminist view on men in the media as small minded. How many men present TV show? why are there more men on the TV, Radio etc etc? It came to the point where one blogger complained that she couldn't use her mobile phone to record protests because it was made for a man... because she had small hands like most women... could she not have got a smaller phone?

Then there are women in IT, again as an IT person I realise there is a higher number of men in the industry, should there be more women, yes there should. And it is sad to see a new role taken over by one sex. why did it happen? is it just a natural course of events? Do women studying IT not do as well in college as men? Do they feel there are too many men in the industry do they feel intimidated? and if so why? are women less interested in IT? Should they blame men?

I think the role of men and women is changing/has changed, roles that were predominately male are changing to a much more balanced place, however the same can't be said of traditional female roles, more women still become teachers, nurses etc (the same can be said of men who become gaurds, firefighters etc) but we don't seem to get the same kind of push for either sex to become involved in those clearly defined male/female roles. why?

But back to the question have the producers of Crossfire clearly decided to go after one sex over another? No, I think it is a coincidence, perhaps there were more men applying, but the show comes from the same production team as The Lie.

Is Take Me Out a much more feminine show? Is Don't Tell The Bride just feeding into gender stereotyping? Why does The Apprentice often pity the men against the women? Why is Xposé largely presented by female presenters? Why are 3 middle aged men still presenting Top Gear? Why are we still clearly defining male/female roles? Why are there far more Male independent politicians than female, is it really because the political life isn't "family friendly"?

If you want people to be treated equally you have to ask equal questions. Though I don't think I am really explaining my position on this. Ends Rant, ducks and runs for the hills!

Ok I am going to be completely banned from this forum, main because of my use of the word "girl" earlier but.....

I would say it is a coincidence that the show has more men than women. I'd not have noticed only you've pointed it out, does that make it a macho programme .... I don't know. That would be like suggesting that it was a feminine programme had you noticed only women on the show. E.g. a more irritating show Winning Streak has a much higher number of women on that programming.... does it make it any worse than it already is? no.

I do feel as a man interest in the media the feminist view on men in the media as small minded. How many men present TV show? why are there more men on the TV, Radio etc etc? It came to the point where one blogger complained that she couldn't use her mobile phone to record protests because it was made for a man... because she had small hands like most women... could she not have got a smaller phone?

Then there are women in IT, again as an IT person I realise there is a higher number of men in the industry, should there be more women, yes there should. And it is sad to see a new role taken over by one sex. why did it happen? is it just a natural course of events? Do women studying IT not do as well in college as men? Do they feel there are too many men in the industry do they feel intimidated? and if so why? are women less interested in IT? Should they blame men?

I think the role of men and women is changing/has changed, roles that were predominately male are changing to a much more balanced place, however the same can't be said of traditional female rolls, more women still become teachers, nurses etc (the same can be said of men who become gaurds, firefighters etc) but we don't seem to get the same kind of push for either sex to become involved in those clearly defined male/female roles. why?

But back to the question have the producers of Crossfire clearly decided to go after one sex over another? No, I think it is a coincidence, perhaps there were more men applying, but the show comes from the same production team as The Lie.

Is Take Me Out a much more feminine show? Is Don't Tell The Bride just feeding into gender stereotyping? Why does The Apprentice often pity the men against the women? Why is Xposé largely presented by female presenters? Why are 3 middle aged men still presenting Top Gear? Why are we still clearly defining male/female roles? Why are there far more Male independent politicians than female, is it really because the political life isn't "family friendly"?

If you want people to be treated equally you have to ask equal questions. Though I don't think I am really explaining my position on this. Ends Rant, ducks and runs for the hills!

So what's your point?

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »
    So what's your point?

:) My point is that we need to ask equal questions of gender roles in society if we want to see equality. We need to work on getting more male teachers as much as getting more female CEOs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I watch alot of panel shows, podcasts ,
    etc i dont like panel show with 5 men.
    i think its better when then 1 or 2 female panellists ,
    there s plenty of funny witty female comedians ,commentators out there .
    All male panel shows tend to be smug, slightly boring .
    People who make programs should know half your potential audience is female.
    WE need to encourage more students to study stem ,subjects, science ,maths,
    including women.

:) My point is that we need to ask equal questions of gender roles in society if we want to see equality. We need to work on getting more male teachers as much as getting more female CEOs.

There are many jobs that men and women can do equally and others that are done better by one or the other. It's silly to think everything will be 50:50 between men and women. Giving one or the other jobs just to balance numbers won't help anything. It reminds me of:

FRANCIS: Why are you always on about women, Stan?

STAN: I want to be one.

REG: What?

STAN: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.

REG: What?!

LORETTA: It's my right as a man.

JUDITH: Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?

LORETTA: I want to have babies.

REG: You want to have babies?!

LORETTA: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.

REG: But... you can't have babies.

LORETTA: Don't you oppress me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Saw two guys at Dublin Airport Departures, in onesies, last year.

Well at least they were in departures, and not arrivals.

There are many jobs that men and women can do equally and others that are done better by one or the other. It's silly to think everything will be 50:50 between men and women. Giving one or the other jobs just to balance numbers won't help anything.

I am not suggesting that, I am suggesting that jobs should be promoted as gender neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

On every dentist website it says 'we see emergency patients on the same day'

Yet if your sore and you need an appointment - theres never anything available until next week

???

Exactly what happens when your in bits and need a doctor... no appointments until Tuesday 16th November 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mr. Z wrote: »

Go on, have a go.....
    Gossipers who like to bitch about other gossipers.

One of the girls in the office likes to have a bit of a chat with another girl and today she was bitching about a friend of hers who is a chronic gossiper. She seems oblivious that she is just as bad seeing as not only is she going on about her friend's gossiping but also telling the other girl in the office what the gossip was about which was her main gripe to begin with!

"I am not one for gossip, but did you see Mary from accounts, that skirt? talk about mutton dressed as lamb, and Brian, last week he was as grey as a badger, and now look at the big black head of hair on him...":D

I think the role of men and women is changing/has changed, roles that were predominately male are changing to a much more balanced place, however the same can't be said of traditional female roles, more women still become teachers, nurses etc (the same can be said of men who become gaurds, firefighters etc) but we don't seem to get the same kind of push for either sex to become involved in those clearly defined male/female roles. why?

Wow! I mean.....wow!! ;)

All this because I find the participants of ONE quiz show, out of all those I watch, to be overwhelmimgly male!!

One of the trivial things which just happen to annoy me! No more!!

I could always choose not to watch, of course, but I am 'addicted' to quiz programmes!! :(

However, I know that next time I look at Crossfire I am going to be distracted and annoyed by the gender imbalance on this ONE quiz show!! I am positive that will not be the case when I watch the other shows!! :)

Wow! I mean.....wow!! ;)

All this because I find the participants of ONE quiz show, out of all those I watch, to be overwhelmimgly male!!

One of the trivial things which just happen to annoy me! No more!!

I could always choose not to watch, of course, but I am 'addicted' to quiz programmes!! :(

However, I know that next time I look at Crossfire I am going to be distracted and annoyed by the gender imbalance on this ONE quiz show!! I am positive that will not be the case when I watch the other shows!! :)

You did read the title of this thread. :pac:

Would you have noticed had they been overwhelmingly female? Honestly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I found an easter egg in the back of the fridge last night, I only intended on eating half of it... when I started on the second half I wept with guilt.

I hid the tinfoil wrapper in the bathroom bin and I woke up at 2am with a tummy ache.

I just booked a holiday and when I was walking to the bus this morning my flabby belly was banging off my boobs and my boobs were slapping me in the face.

I need to get sorted asap. depressing, I think I need a whole nut to cheer myself up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement