Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They're too lazy to dispose of them properly in the trash. :mad:

Dirty bitches. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That is un-sodding-well-believable!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When your outgoings keep exceeding your incomings, bloody sick of it now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

And what about your financial situation?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ah memories! But we were happen then.

If it's any consultation, this too will pass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

P***es me off to no end, when I'm on my way home from work on the Luas after essentially an 11 hour shift, and a woman (who isnt even THAT OLD - perhaps around 50) is staring a hole through me to give up my seat. Love, I've been working all day - you've been strolling around the Jervis buying duckfeather duvets and eating apple sponge! 'Koff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Czarcasm wrote: »

And a great big badum-TISH! to you, chief! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Spent nearly thirty minutes on hold to a certain company, while the hold music was interspersed with exhortations to log on to their website instead. I had already done that, and got abruptly cut off.
    Eventually got a real person at the other end of the phone, he couldn't have sounded less interested, if he had tried. I had to ask him to repeat some of what he was saying, he was in such a rush to get me off the phone. Grrr!

I've just been watching a news report on Sky about the escaped British convict known as the Skullcrusher. In the report it said that he'd been sentenced to 13 life sentences and would have had to serve 8 years before being eligible for parole. How in the name of fcuk does someone serving 13 life sentences even qualify for parole, let alone after 8 years:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The youth of today annoy me.

Youth in general.

I hate being older.

*runs away crying*

But seriously, I cringe at the thoughts that I was as much of a dope when I was that age as young people are today. (the 17-22s specifically)

/trivial.

/sweeping generalisation.

/but true all the same.

• Advertisement

I've just been watching a news report on Sky about the escaped British convict known as the Skullcrusher. In the report it said that he'd been sentenced to 13 life sentences and would have had to serve 8 years before being eligible for parole. How in the name of fcuk does someone serving 13 life sentences even qualify for parole, let alone after 8 years:confused:

Justice? What's that? Doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

whirlpool wrote: »
    The youth of today annoy me.

Youth in general.

I hate being older.

*runs away crying*

But seriously, I cringe at the thoughts that I was as much of a dope when I was that age as young people are today. (the 17-22s specifically)

/trivial.

/sweeping generalisation.

/but true all the same.

Wrap your ears around this one whirlpool -

:D

Was in a shop recently which has a very similar name to another and who stock very similar goods. I asked politely, as I was paying for something, if there was any connection between the two shops, (asked partly because the other had a 20% off offer at the time).
    The person I asked reacted as though I had accused her of having a communicable disease, she was just short of curling her lip at me. Jebus, t'was a polite question, requiring a simple yes or no answer, not a diatribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Holiday blues :(

The good thing is, I don't have a backpack because I'd be out in a flash.
    The bad thing is, I don't have a backpack because I'd be out in a flash.

*gets back to work to earn a few bob for a nice backpack :pac:

Are we not allowed name specific companies/businesses? I've seen a dozen posts the past few days that say the equivalent of "a well-known company" instead of naming the place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Customers who send an email and ring immediately for feedback on said email.

czechlin wrote: »
    Holiday blues :(

The good thing is, I don't have a backpack because I'd be out in a flash.
    The bad thing is, I don't have a backpack because I'd be out in a flash.

*gets back to work to earn a few bob for a nice backpack :pac:

Welcome back(pack)

"I would rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Are we not allowed name specific companies/businesses? I've seen a dozen posts the past few days that say the equivalent of "a well-known company" instead of naming the place.

Many companies now have google alerts set up so that any time their company gets a mention on the internet, they get a notification, and if it's an inaccurate or unsubstantiated assessment, they're usually on it faster than you say "defamation". It's just easier not mention the name tbh.

I've got to go to Dunnes later, and it always amazes me that some old bitches are kept on regardless of how bad their customer service is. Now this particular auld bitch always has a very short queue at her til, as a result of her lack of manners.

I avoid her like the plague as she has an inability to hand me back my cards, always slaps them on the counter and I have to restrain myself from flinging them at her when she asks for them. One of those who will happily chatter on to the customer she's serving if they're a friend of hers, regardless of other people waiting to be served.

I'd heard a couple of staff chatting about her having been offered early retirement last year and I really hoped she'd take it, she's still there so clearly she's not taking it. FFS Dunnes management, open your eyes, if there is a checkout operator with a consistently short queue while all the others are very busy, take a look at why and either sort out her attitude, put her on stockroom only work or sack her:mad:

• Advertisement

Many companies now have google alerts set up so that any time their company gets a mention on the internet, they get a notification, and if it's an inaccurate or unsubstantiated assessment, they're usually on it faster than you say "defamation". It's just easier not mention the name tbh.

Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Coffee shops that call Espresso, Expresso

xabi wrote: »
    Coffee shops that call Espresso, Expresso

They usually sell hang sangwitches as well....

I was in a coffee shop once and did point that out (in a jokey way) to a guy behind the counter, but he just looked at me as if I was mental. I took the coffees and sat down, and told Mrs E what I had just said. She looked at me as if I was mental.:rolleyes:

I didn't know that. Interesting.
    If it's something I feel strongly about, I will give a company the chance first to put something right, by contacting them, and stating what the issue is.
    If it's something trivial, I put it on here :D, without mentioning the company.
    On a slightly related note, I sometimes wonder when people put reviews on sites like Tripadvisor, did they give the hotel/ restaurant a chance first to put things right, or did they store up their angst and just let it loose when writing their review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I didn't know that. Interesting.
    If it's something I feel strongly about, I will give a company the chance first to put something right, by contacting them, and stating what the issue is.
    If it's something trivial, I put it on here :D, without mentioning the company.
    On a slightly related note, I sometimes wonder when people put reviews on sites like Tripadvisor, did they give the hotel/ restaurant a chance first to put things right, or did they store up their angst and just let it loose when writing their review.

There are certainly a few that have chips on their shoulder. I post on Tripadvisor myself as I find it useful when I travel for work and I've never been anything other than honest.

One of the last reviews I gave was a quite positive 4/5 stars. The only comment I made that could have been construed as anything other than positive was that the room was small, which it was although I also remarked that it was clean and comfortable and well-equipped.

The owner commented on the post as if I'd slated the place which annoyed me a bit because it was fine for the money but hardly the Ritz so it was never going to get a 5 star gushing review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

gramar wrote: »
    There are certainly a few that have chips on their shoulder. I post on Tripadvisor myself as I find it useful when I travel for work and I've never been anything other than honest.

One of the last reviews I gave was a quite positive 4/5 stars. The only comment I made that could have been construed as anything other than positive was that the room was small, which it was although I also remarked that it was clean and comfortable and well-equipped.

The owner commented on the post as if I'd slated the place which annoyed me a bit because it was fine for the money but hardly the Ritz so it was never going to get a 5 star gushing review.

I also post reviews regularly enough when I eat or stay somewhere new. I also use it to research where I'm going. I'm always honest and normally if you leave a positive review the management thank you.
    Some owners/managers can be real a'ssholes though, snotty replies !

• Advertisement

Yes, I've seen similar, where anything less than gushing reviews receive a defensive response from the owner/ manager.

I do wonder though where people are disappointed about the room they are allocated, or a meal isn't up to scratch, do they boil up inwardly, and say nothing until they get home to write a review.

I travel for work also, from time to time, and post on Tripadvisor. It does put me off choosing a particular hotel, if I see a defensive response, from an owner, to a perfectly polite comment.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen similar, where anything less than gushing reviews receive a defensive response from the owner/ manager.

I do wonder though where people are disappointed about the room they are allocated, or a meal isn't up to scratch, do they boil up inwardly, and say nothing until they get home to write a review.

I would usually try to deal with it at source, i.e. with reception, or the person I am dealing with in a shop. But if no joy there, I will take it up a notch to the manager or whatever. I always try to give the opportunity for them to put it first, but if not....

Something I encounter a lot here is, if you take the softly, softly, polite and calm approach....they usually take you for an idiot, and you will usually end up having to take it up a gear to get a reaction, instead of being fobbed off.

I was in a shop not too long a go, returning a faulty item for a refund, I was told, the shop ( a major chain) could take the item, but as it was paid for by credit card, I had apply to "head office" for the refund.....after a few well placed words, the manager relented, and gave the refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I don't complain about food in a restaurant for fear of getting a "special flavouring"

I had a right barney in the local Carrefour a few weeks back.
    I bought a laptap fan tray with little legs that you could prop it up on that 'collapsed'
    after 4 or 5 days. I went back albeit without the packaging. Big mistake.

The rules for return are that it must be in perfect condition and in it's original packaging and within 15 days.

As I didn't have the original packaging they wouldn't let me return it so I started to kick up a stink. I made the point that it wasn't a whimsical return because I didn't like it but because it was defective which means having the box or not is irrelevant as it won't be put back out for sale.

That same fact makes a mockery of their policy that all items must be returned in perfect condition. If it's defective what do you do? Suck it up?

Eventually I was told I could change it for the same model even though I didn't want that one as the same thing would probably happen again but I gave in and said I'd take the same one. When she gave it to me she took it out of the box saying that she needed the box for the one I returned! I told her that if this one broke too I would came back without the box and I'd have the same problem all over again by not having the packaging!

I even asked her if she'd ever seen Groundhog Day. It was ridiculous.

After speaking to her supervisor again, she rang the Director to probably tell him there was a crazy Irishman kicking up a fuss and eventually got my money back. I told her that there customer service stank and that their policy made no sense and basically to stick it. I added for good measure that I'd been going there for 10 years but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd darken their door again.

Then I promptly stormed back into the store got a different brand and paid for it! Then I got 50 quids worth of diesel in the Carrefour service station. But I haven't been back since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Being starving for food but not knowing what you would like to eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Went for lunch in TGIs, my burger was absolutey delicious. It was new on the menu, a texas chili burger. It had tortilla strips, chili (as in the meat stuff), cheese, jalepenos.

My sons was a black piece of rubber with black shrivelled up fries.

:( I was annoyed because we never eat out and he's not allowed burger and chips that often and he was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

mauzo! wrote: »
    Went for lunch in TGIs, my burger was absolutey delicious. It was new on the menu, a texas chili burger. It had tortilla strips, chili (as in the meat stuff), cheese, jalepenos.

:( I was annoyed because we never eat out and he's not allowed burger and chips that often and he was disappointed.

I hope you complained,lots of places give the adults good food but the kids food is crap.:mad:

Damn it, I've to go and post on the happy thread now, I got a parcel in the post of something I ordered, very efficient and prompt. :D

dubstarr wrote: »
    I hope you complained,lots of places give the adults good food but the kids food is crap.:mad:

I did, I was baffled that the waitress thought it was accrptable. The chips were black and looked like they were found under one of the tables and put on the plate :(

I got it for free but that's not what I wanted, I wanted to know if the waitress was blind, stupid or cheeky as f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Irish healthcare. The appointment scheduling "system" to be precise.
    Talking about a rapid change from being mildly melancholic to being angry, I feel like banging my head off the wall repeatedly out of pure frustration. I am not one for seeing alcohol as a solution but there better be some liquor left in the alco-cabinet :mad:

czechlin wrote: »
    Irish healthcare. The appointment scheduling "system" to be precise.
    Talking about a rapid change from being mildly melancholic to being angry, I feel like banging my head off the wall repeatedly out of pure frustration. I am not one for seeing alcohol as a solution but there better be some liquor left in the alco-cabinet :mad:
    You're telling me. I'm a public patient so I know how long it can take to get an appointment. I've got 2 appointments that clash next week and I've been trying to get through to all of the numbers on my Galway appointment for 2 days, to reschedule and hopefully someone will get my appointment next week. Just goes straight to voicemail:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sounds like a bloody awful mess :pac:

If you're sticking strictly to the thread title and it's just a trivial annoyance about the place I wouldn't worry. If it's about a specific bad incident with the staff then that might be an issue.

That's the problem with online reviews. It basically works this way

5 stars = pretty good, nothing wrong with the place
    4 stars = it'll do in a pinch
    3 stars or less = stay the hell away

I do think those reviews are best used just to rate the place generally. In reality, if the food and service at a restaurant just aren't that great, most people aren't going to actually make a formal complaint about it because they're too nervous about looking like a ponce. It's a lot easier to be objective online. It should't be used to vent about one specific staff member who treated you horribly or food that actually made you ill though, that is the kind of thing that should be brought to the manager's attention directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

They have found him & arrested him on suspicion of unlawfully being at large . How the fcuk is it on suspicion ?? ( just saw that on the ticker tape on Sky News)

Are the cops there thinking "... eh I think he broke out, but I'm not sure"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    They have found him & arrested him on suspicion of unlawfully being at large . How the fcuk is it on suspicion ?? ( just saw that on the ticker tape on Sky News)

he did a building society this morning, quell suprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

It's kinda like the Water Charge, they say the average bill is going to be €240, but they seemingly don't know the price of the water yet...so...how do they know ?

Am I missing something here ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's kinda like the Water Charge, they say the average bill is going to be €240, but they seemingly don't know the price of the water yet...so...how do they know ?

Am I missing something here ?

Simples! Total revenue required to run the service divided by the number of households. But ultimately a useless guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

All these ''Interesting / Uninteresting Facts about [insert county here] you didn't know'' threads popping up lately.

Garzard wrote: »
    All these ''Interesting / Uninteresting Facts about [insert county here] you didn't know'' threads popping up lately.

I'm enjoying the Dublin one :o

Lived in Dublin most of my life (bar 6 months) and there's loads I didn't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

a scratchy throat

mauzo! wrote: »

Did you give him some of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

a scratchy throat

Ever stand in the bathroom with no shoes or socks and the bottom of your feet get uncontrollably ticklish/itchy? Always happens when I cut my toenails into the toilet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Ever stand in the bathroom with no shoes or socks and the bottom of your feet get uncontrollably ticklish/itchy?

I can't say that has ever happened to me.

Did you give him some of yours?

He wouldn't eat mine, it was spicy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

The way Irish professionals scurry off to find loopholes to wriggle out of newly enacted government legislation affecting their domain. Bankers and senior consultants come to mind here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement