Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

They just love me. I hate mild weather. Screw sunshine and heat. All it means to me is midges, gnats, wasps and daddy long legs. Then you go to bed and there'll be at least 1 daddy long legs and a couple of gnats flying around the bedroom. So you put up with the nightly ritual of trying to get them out when you go to bed or you keep all the windows shut in the house and swelter in the humidity:mad:

It's one of the things I don't mind about winter..nothing that can bite me.
    Sometimes I swell up like a fciking balloon. Last year I got one on the cheek and my eye was swollen up like someone had twtted me one.

How something so small cause such a big reaction I'll never know.
    I wear long sleeves and legs but the fcukers always find somewhere to bite me. I'm gonna get a beekeepers suits and keep in on until November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    "Have you anything for a dark wash love?" :mad:

I need it now, If I put the wash on it'll be dry by this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Thanks! I thought about them alright. The problem is the cat is semi feral and can't be handled - so I am thinking I would have to get a sedative for her first, put it in her food and knock her out lol, then take her. So I think I'd probably have to go private for that one. I dont really even mind paying because I'm working, I just wish my OH and Dad would support me instead of throwing spanners in the works :pac:
    You should check if there's a cat rescue centre in your area. A friend of mine in Galway catches strays and the rescue centre pays for their vet bills and also gets them neutered. Because your cat is feral, they'd probably cover it.

gramar wrote: »
    I get crucified by those little midges as well. I use a kind of clear gel called Fenistil. It's the best one I've used and I've tried a fair few.
    At least we don't have mosquito's and sand flies. When I was in Australia I was destroyed with the little feckers. I also got bit by a flying ant and my the swelling on my hand was so bad you couldn't see my knuckles :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You should check if there's a cat rescue centre in your area. A friend of mine in Galway catches strays and the rescue centre pays for their vet bills and also gets them neutered. Because your cat is feral, they'd probably cover it.

We got her spayed a while ago, just did it ourselves as the charity were being pedantic about it ("no no it doesnt count if you bring her in a carrier, she has to be in a trap...no we cant give her back to you after, we will put her up for rehoming") tf? In the end, it was easier to just bring her privately. Though the charity in question tends to be a bit...like that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    At least we don't have mosquito's and sand flies. When I was in Australia I was destroyed with the little feckers. I also got bit by a flying ant and my the swelling on my hand was so bad you couldn't see my knuckles :(

I've had that a few times and have even had to put my arm in a sling as carrying my arm by by side with the swelling was so uncomfortable and painful. There are small mosquitos here in summer (not malaria) with a nasty bite and when I hear the high pitched buzz I just can't relax.

Parents complicating everything. What should be a simple transaction "lets take the cat to the vet" turns into a fuucking marathon.

You cant take her private you dont have the money! (I do)
    Your Father is after cancelling his plans to bring her on Monday, you have to go with him then, I dont care about your study plans or tutorials (you made plans without me and expect me to drop everything?)
    Can you not just put her outside? (Is that a cure for sarcoptic mange now? The pharma companies will be delighted)
    The dog is probably harvesting (yes harvesting) that thing now (she's fine, really)
    Why cant you bring her on Monday?! (I have booked the day off to study)
    You wont be studying the WHOLE day will ya?! (em...yes - if I only planned to study at night I wouldnt have taken the day off would I?)
    Now make sure you bleach everything in that house (I already do, I didnt lick it off the stones you know)
    That cat cant be handled, she'll scrape the vet (occupational fuucking hazard, deal with it!)
    Your father will drive down to you on Monday, leave the car, run to the surgery. You follow him on foot (one if you like), meet him there. Then you can both cycle home together via the cliffs of Moher and then he can take the car and drive up and collect the cat - ok?! (um...ok...fine...whatever you say)

................I'm weary. In future, when an issue presents, i shall deal with it quietly and alone. I cannot be dealing with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

People who talk in the cinema, rummage in very noisy plastic bags in the cinema, mess with their phones in the cinema.

Seriously, I was in the IMAX last week and this guy in front of me keeps taking out his phone every two minutes to check facebook. I leaned forward and asked if there was anything interesting going on. He turned around to me all shocked and said, 'how dare you!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

My wisdom teeth have all grown arseways, the top two don't bother me but the bottom too irritate the shit out of me! They are not only pointing out toward the wall off my mouth but there is a massive gap between the last tooth and the wisdom tooth on both sides!

I fight a constant battle daily to try and keep them clear with my tongue as once a seed or piece of peanut get lodged in there it is near impossible to get out due to the fact the wisdom tooth kind of curls over the gap creating a small entry point but large cave for things to stay in! The only thing that really works is getting my toothbrush and hammering away at the gap till the bristles dislodge whatever is currently in there!

Obviously this isn't always available to me as i don't carry my toothbrush with me so i'm usually sat there with a big stupid looking face on me ramming at it with my tongue. I don't even notice myself doing it anymore which is worse and often got funny looks in work meetings only to realise my face is probably twisted like a mad man as i probe for nightmare seeds. This is the bane of my existance and today it feel like civil war in my mouth as i have given myself one of those poxy small ulcers on the side of my tongue from tearing at it.

However it is Friday so i won't give out today :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

My wisdom teeth have all grown arseways, the top two don't bother me but the bottom too irritate the shit out of me! They are not only pointing out toward the wall off my mouth but there is a massive gap between the last tooth and the wisdom tooth on both sides!

I fight a constant battle daily to try and keep them clear with my tongue as once a seed or piece of peanut get lodged in there it is near impossible to get out due to the fact the wisdom tooth kind of curls over the gap creating a small entry point but large cave for things to stay in! The only thing that really works is getting my toothbrush and hammering away at the gap till the bristles dislodge whatever is currently in there!

Obviously this isn't always available to me as i don't carry my toothbrush with me so i'm usually sat there with a big stupid looking face on me ramming at it with my tongue. I don't even notice myself doing it anymore which is worse and often got funny looks in work meetings only to realise my face is probably twisted like a mad man as i probe for nightmare seeds. This is the bane of my existance and today it feel like civil war in my mouth as i have given myself one of those poxy small ulcers on the side of my tongue from tearing at it.

However it is Friday so i won't give out today :pac::pac::pac:

I feel your pain. I have a small gap in my upper right molars and things get stuck in there constantly. If I cannot dislodge it with my tongue, I have to use a finger. It is no problem in private but it is an annoyance in public.

• Advertisement

I feel your pain. I have a small gap in my upper right molars and things get stuck in there constantly. If I cannot dislodge it with my tongue, I have to use a finger. It is no problem in private but it is an annoyance in public.

My finger is far too fat to be of any use! sometimes if nobody is around i will try ramming a fork in there but that is a terrible experience in itself!

if nobody is around i will try ramming a fork in there but that is a terrible experience in itself!

I would think so!

My finger is far too fat to be of any use! sometimes if nobody is around i will try ramming a fork in there but that is a terrible experience in itself!

A retractable pencil does the trick :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We got her spayed a while ago, just did it ourselves as the charity were being pedantic about it ("no no it doesnt count if you bring her in a carrier, she has to be in a trap...no we cant give her back to you after, we will put her up for rehoming") tf? In the end, it was easier to just bring her privately. Though the charity in question tends to be a bit...like that :(
    I know there are 2 groups in Galway. 1 gets some funding the other gets none and has to raise all funds themselves and depends on people to foster as they don't have a rescue centre, just volunteers that take cats into their homes until they can be rehomed. Not sure which one you mean. I do know that pretty much every rescue is swamped with unwanted animals, especially cats:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is a series of trivial annoyances that happened all in the same evening.

When you park your car in Dublin City, go off for an hour and come back to your car surrounded by Gardai.
    The next thing that annoys you is that the Gardai tell you your car has been broken into.
    Then you see that your rear side window has been smashed and the glass from the window is in your childs car seat.
    Driving home window less on a chilly night.
    Trying to fashion some sort of cardboard/cling film/black bag replacement window on a chilly evening and not being very patient.

Trivial things that annoy junkie scum breaking into cars:
    Falling asleep in the drivers seat while on a job and then getting caught in the act.

I know there are 2 groups in Galway. 1 gets some funding the other gets none and has to raise all funds themselves and depends on people to foster as they don't have a rescue centre, just volunteers that take cats into their homes until they can be rehomed. Not sure which one you mean. I do know that pretty much every rescue is swamped with unwanted animals, especially cats:(

I'm in Dublin. The one we tried is well known, receives a very large cut of the funding pie each year as well as strong public support, but I have always found them to be a bit media hungry without actually ebing too concerned about the animals. If there is a horrible case of abuse or something in the spotlight they will be all over it, but behind the scenes they are euthanasing healthy dogs that are "unrehomeable" and carrying out mass euthanasias of cats if one presents with flu. The smaller, privately run charities tend to be better imo. Dogs Aid for example, take dogs from "death row" in the pound and foster afaik until homes are found. An amazing thing to do :)

They just love me. I hate mild weather. Screw sunshine and heat. All it means to me is midges, gnats, wasps and daddy long legs. Then you go to bed and there'll be at least 1 daddy long legs and a couple of gnats flying around the bedroom. So you put up with the nightly ritual of trying to get them out when you go to bed or you keep all the windows shut in the house and swelter in the humidity:mad:

Neem oil, mix a few drops in your bodylotions/mosturisers keeps the little feckers at bay

I'm in Dublin. The one we tried is well known, receives a very large cut of the funding pie each year as well as strong public support, but I have always found them to be a bit media hungry without actually ebing too concerned about the animals. If there is a horrible case of abuse or something in the spotlight they will be all over it, but behind the scenes they are euthanasing healthy dogs that are "unrehomeable" and carrying out mass euthanasias of cats if one presents with flu. The smaller, privately run charities tend to be better imo. Dogs Aid for example, take dogs from "death row" in the pound and foster afaik until homes are found. An amazing thing to do :)
    Sorry, I was confusing Galway with Dublin:o

• Advertisement

I haven't had any booze or junk food since the weekend before Lent and I think I may just go mad. So glad I can have both next week. I wouldn't mind but I don't even drink a lot, mostly. Mr P has been off the booze for the same time and he's suffering more than me.

I keep thinking about how much gin and crisps I'm going to consume over Easter. There's a third of a bottle of gin in the cupboard just taunting me every time I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

This is taking the piss, now. I've had it. 06:40 this morning, the magpies, Clumpy and Hoppy, were back. Squawk, squawk, clump, hop, thump, squawk, squawk etc. Die, you fúckers.

Now, I'm in work and it sounded like a cat was being strangled on the roof. TF?? So, I go and pull back the sun-screen and yep, sure enough, two seagulls are building a nest. And they are HUGE. Ginormous, in fact. B*st*rds.

Obviously this isn't always available to me as i don't carry my toothbrush with me

Loads of us keep a toothbrush in work
    Very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bronn wrote: »
    Heh - love that story. :D I'd totally do it if I had the neck. Little boll*x next door has caused more trouble with that ball. I long to get it and belt it to the far end of the road.

That's another thing that annoys me. Parents who let their kids be nuisances to neighbours and who do nothing about it except, "Ah, stop. Ah, don't," and then carry on smoking her fag and gabbing on the phone. Meanwhile, Rambo has battered in a fence, walloped a car or two, set off an alarm and just missed a passing car by inches, making the driver swerve. Grrrrr.

I feel your pain. We're pestered by magpies who've taken up riverdancing on our roof at sunrise. We called them (imaginatively) Clumpy and Hoppy and I swear they're wearing hobnailed boots or something. Every device we've thought of means getting out of bed to scare them off and it's doesn't work anyway. The bastards just wait until we're gone and then they come back. We've tried a ballon, a supersoaker, a rattle and short of having a go with a catapult, we've no idea what to do. I suppose having a cat around would be useful but I'm not having a cat in the house. I guarantee you they'll be there in the morning, clumping and hopping about, and knowing full damn well they're pissing everyone off. I hate them. :mad:

(And they're v mean to all the little garden birds. Last year, magpies killed the little bluetit chicks. The kids were inconsolable.)

trained my dog to see magpies off, as they hate noise, and i bang tin lids together. they never come back here. my first while in ireland a magpie took a kitten. waged war on them since wherever i have lived.

dont let them settle to nest. oh and yes the cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

My wisdom teeth have all grown arseways

Jesus SpaceCowb0y I don't know how do you put up with that! I've experienced some serious pains and annoyances in my life but the ones given by my wisdom teeth are on the top of the list. I lived on painkillers for a while, the dosage could have fed and army of men. I had to wait for ages until they grew out and then got them pulled out. Never in my life before was I so happy to see a dentist. That's the bottom ones. The top ones are healthy and don't hurt but have caused an aesthetic imperfection, which annoys me :(

Actually the fact that wisdom teeth are called wisdom teeth annoys me.
    There's nothing wise about them they are just an incredible pain in ones head!! :mad:

• Advertisement

czechlin wrote: »
    Actually the fact that wisdom teeth are called wisdom teeth annoys me.
    There's nothing wise about them they are just an incredible pain in ones head!! :mad:

I have to get mine out surgically soon :( Good riddance too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Jesus SpaceCowb0y I don't know how do you put up with that! I've experienced some serious pains and annoyances in my life but the ones given by my wisdom teeth are on the top of the list. I lived on painkillers for a while, the dosage could have fed and army of men. I had to wait for ages until they grew out and then got them pulled out. Never in my life before was I so happy to see a dentist. That's the bottom ones. The top ones are healthy and don't hurt but have caused an aesthetic imperfection, which annoys me :(

Jaysus, I wish a dodgy tooth was the only aesthetic imperfection I had:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

bluewolf wrote: »
    Loads of us keep a toothbrush in work
    Very handy

Or a pack of toothpicks :D

The whole fingers in the mouth thing reminds me of something my mother used do - If you yawned anywhere near her she'd jam her finger down your throat! :pac:

She couldn't just say "cover your mouth when you yawn!" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jake1 wrote: »
    Neem oil, mix a few drops in your bodylotions/mosturisers keeps the little feckers at bay

There's a spray lotion called Smidge which is very good, my OH used to get riddled by the little f's

Seven Worlds will Collide

There's a spray lotion called Smidge which is very good, my OH used to get riddled by the little f's

If you can get it in Ireland (I really have no idea) Avon's Skin-So-Soft keeps the little critters away too.

• Advertisement

If you can get it in Ireland (I really have no idea) Avon's Skin-So-Soft keeps the little critters away too.

That's the most effective thing I've used.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I wish a dodgy tooth was the only aesthetic imperfection I had:D

Ah I've got others but I used to have perfectly straight teeth so it really bothers me now. I'll probably have to put up with braces for a bit to get them sorted :mad:

Czarcasm wrote: »

The whole fingers in the mouth thing reminds me of something my mother used do - If you yawned anywhere near her she'd jam her finger down your throat! :pac:

She'd be a dead woman, this is just gross :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Or a pack of toothpicks :D

The whole fingers in the mouth thing reminds me of something my mother used do - If you yawned anywhere near her she'd jam her finger down your throat!...

Your mother is in fact a T-1000, and I claim two packets of Rancheros. :D

http://p1.la-img.com/930/16511/5468018_2_l.jpg

She'd be a dead woman, this is just gross :mad:

That's Irish mammy's for ya, they make you put on clean underwear in case you get run over by a bus.;)

Ah I've got others but I used to have perfectly straight teeth so it really bothers me now. I'll probably have to put up with braces for a bit to get them sorted :mad:

I had braces for years, best thing ever
    Still have to wear my retainer one night a week at least as they shift a bit around if I don't - probs due to blasted wisdom teeth pushing them around!

I needed braces as a kid but at the time my parents just couldn't afford it in the late 70's early 80's. My top front teeth are slightly prominent and I hate it. It's always made me feel very self concious. My wisdom teeth aren't too bad though. Sometimes they ache a bit and rub on the cheek but no real pain as such. The dentist doesn't think that they'll come through any further, I hope he's right, my dad had really awful problems with his wisdom teeth.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    That's Irish mammy's for ya, they make you put on clean underwear in case you get run over by a bus.;)

That's international mammies for ya :p

I have the fear of getting them removed! My mam has a nerve wrapped around the root of one of her wisdom teeth and the dentist said there's a chance if he pulls it out and it tears the nerve she could end up with half a droopy face! I'll leave mine where they are and put up with the turmoil rather then face something like that! I've had mine for years and never really had any pain with them but crap getting stuck in them has been a constant annoyance!

That's international mammies for ya :p

Well that's vague:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The air conditioning has not been working right on my floor in the office for quite some time. On Wednesday we finally got some sort of air conditioning dudes in to overhaul the system. But yesterday had to turn everything off.

We are in our second day of extreme office temperatures.

The odour of nerd sweat gets stronger by the hour. I dont like the scent of a nerd. It annoys me. It's a distinctive scent.

Some delusion has also crept in, is it me that smells, am I a nerd. Am I absorbing other nerds odours and excreting them myself like some sort of super-nerd-BO-recycling-plant?

I have the fear of getting them removed! My mam has a nerve wrapped around the root of one of her wisdom teeth and the dentist said there's a chance if he pulls it out and it tears the nerve she could end up with half a droopy face! I'll leave mine where they are and put up with the turmoil rather then face something like that! I've had mine for years and never really had any pain with them but crap getting stuck in them has been a constant annoyance!

Yikes, that sounds terrible, can't blame your mum for keeping it where it is. I got x-rays done beforehand (which I presume is the normal procedure) and the teeth had to go. It was a relief. I was in agony for couple weeks because they were really sore.

Yikes, that sounds terrible, can't blame your mum for keeping it where it is. I got x-rays done beforehand (which I presume is the normal procedure) and the teeth had to go. It was a relief. I was in agony for couple weeks because they were really sore.

I know, the pain is miserable :(

In a way I can't wait to get them out, because I keep getting infections in my back gums because they're so badly impacted. It's going to be an overnight stay in hospital and a couple of days recovery though, so I keep putting it off.

I'm sick of taking antibiotics because of lousy teeth I can't even see!

I had my top two wisdom teeth pulled. The first one came out easy but the second one took ages. She was pulling with the pliers and when it eventually came out, it had a bit of another tooth's root wrapped around it!

I only have one of my bottom ones. I'm 33. Should the last one have put in an appearance by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The egg holding shelf in my fridge has 8 spaces, yet I can only buy eggs in boxes of 6, 10, or 12 in the supermarket.

Candie wrote: »
    I know, the pain is miserable :(

In a way I can't wait to get them out, because I keep getting infections in my back gums because they're so badly impacted. It's going to be an overnight stay in hospital and a couple of days recovery though, so I keep putting it off.

I'm sick of taking antibiotics because of lousy teeth I can't even see!
    Tooth ache is awful. It's just relentless pain. I had to get a root canal done in Australia. I wasn't in the country that long but the pain was woeful. I went to the dentist and it was $700 for the root canal or $120 to extract the tooth. I didn't want to have a hole in my mouth so I got the root canal. Four years later I had an abscess in the tooth (yuck yuck yuck) and had to get it removed anyway :(

Grab One "Limit 4 for you and 4 as gifts" - eh...you should be so fuucking lucky that I'd want to buy 8 bales of towels or parachute jumps.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

That Hive ad on the telly.

'Having a kick about with some trout'

WTF??

People who post RIP on social networking sites. Nobody who sees it cares. The people it does mean something to wont see it. It doesn't matter what you write. It means nothing. It's completely pointless. You are completely pointless. Nobody cares if you say RIP or not. Go away. Fuuck off.

• Advertisement

People who post RIP on social networking sites. Nobody who sees it cares. The people it does mean something to wont see it. It doesn't matter what you write. It means nothing. It's completely pointless. You are completely pointless. Nobody cares if you say RIP or not. Go away. Fuuck off.

A b it like on some threads, someone will have a gripe or whatever, and then the replies come..."Oh god love you", "My heart goes out to you, I am the same" or "that's terrible"....................all pointless waffle, not like the v ery important stuff we have here on TTTAYP2:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement