Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The volume that wedding bands play their music at. Last wedding I was at I spent the evening talking to an elderly man who like me had retreated to the main entrance from the noise. Met a neighbour at the end of the night who sounded like he had laryngitis. He spent the evening in the room shouting over the music to talk to people. In fairness there's no need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The ads Im getting in work. Lots of womens car insurance and women only gyms. All I have been searching for is programming tutorials.

The use of 'alot' drives me mental, but I've just seen 'a lot of' expressed on this forum as 'alotta'. Now I need to lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The line "I know you better than you know yourself" always gets me grinding my teeth, I don't like when people assume to know what you're thinking or going to do.

My mam always says it to me, but in fairness she's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

people who are lovin things

"lovin the new one direction song"

"lovin the new restaurant in town"

"lovin the fine weather wer havin":mad:

czechlin wrote: »
    I hate phone calls.
    I could talk the back legs of a donkey face to face but I don't call for chitchat so when people call me I usually end up cleaning the kitchen, watering the plants, doing the laundry etc. If I have nothing as such to do I walk mindlessly in circles :P Or doodle...

Trivial things that annoy me: phone calls :(

I despise talking on the phone! I never answer incoming calls. All my friends know I hate talking on the phone, so they know I won't answer if they ring, and to text me or ring me two or three times if it's an emergency.

Some friends who live within a 15 minute drive away try to keep the "friendship" going through phone calls alone. I make it quite clear to them that... no. I'd rather no friendship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was really tired last night so fell asleep pretty quickly and slept pretty well.

But at some point I obviously moved my head a bit, and spent at least some part of the night with my earlobe rolled over on itself under my head.

Hurts like a bastard this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Candie wrote: »
    The use of 'alot' drives me mental, but I've just seen 'a lot of' expressed on this forum as 'alotta'. Now I need to lie down.

You might enjoy this webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Put on accents, particularly on radio. Some newsreaders are dreadful for this, to the point that I struggle to know what they mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

My fiancè is in Salou on his stag weekend. Went on Friday, back Monday. He hasn't even text me yet to say he got their ok.

Don't want to be a moan over nothing, but a text would have been nice :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

mauzo! wrote: »
    My fiancè is in Salou on his stag weekend. Went on Friday, back Monday. He hasn't even text me yet to say he got their ok.

Don't want to be a moan over nothing, but a text would have been nice :(

Get your own back when on your hen party, promise you will call every day, and then turn your phone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

People disliking a place for being cold (strangely enough I've come across this a lot). Eh would you not check what is the weather like in that time of a year when you're planning on going? "I didn't like Berlin because it was freezing and we had to buy extra clothes and it was dark very early!" Eh genius, you went there in January... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

or "It was sooooooooo collllldddd there!" (Do you deserve some sort of medal for braving the coldness?) , "It was realllllllyy chilly!"
    Then wrap up and stop whining.:):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The McDonalds ad with people making weird gurning facial expressions. I must be missing something because it looks like they aren't enjoying whatever it is they're supposed to be eating.

I've never eaten anything from McDonalds and that ad makes it even more unlikely that I ever will.

People disliking a place for being cold (strangely enough I've come across this a lot). Eh would you not check what is the weather like in that time of a year when you're planning on going? "I didn't like Berlin because it was freezing and we had to buy extra clothes and it was dark very early!" Eh genius, you went there in January... :pac:

I was in the Sahara Desert ( really) and could not believe how hot it was:D

People who say" I was in America, didn't like it". The place is fcuking huge, there has to be some part of it that you could like:confused:

Cellulitis infection. I've got one under my arm and it hurts. Was hoping to avoid taking the antibiotics I got yesterday but when I checked this morning the area has gotten bigger, I always draw a circle around the area so I know if it's getting better or worse. Didn't sleep much even though I did my best to anaesthetise myself with gin last night:(

Safari suits, I just saw a man in a fcuking SAFARI suit!!

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    People who say" I was in America, didn't like it". The place is fcuking huge, there has to be some part of it that you could like:confused:

Or those "I was in xy and I know everything about the locals, I even how they think and what they do before going to bed etc. The whole country is horrible, people are rude etc. or I love that place everything is much better than back home, everything works, people love living there. They are happy."

Hmm, interesting input, how long did you live there?? "Eh I was there 3 days for a break."

Oh wonderful, you spent 3 days in 1 place in a certain country and you could already write thesis about it. Bravo!

Pleas tell me you took a photo!!! :D

• Advertisement

Pleas tell me you took a photo!!! :D

Nah, I was too busy shooting the lion that was eating him:)

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

people who come to my market stall - hand knitting mostly- and handle every item, with no intention of buying. then they pick eg a hat up, sneer at me and ask how much...HOW MUCH!!!! I COULD KNIT THAT IN AN HOUR!
    that being an intricately cabled hat in pure wool.
    i call them maulers...always irishwomen of a certain age.

Graces7 wrote: »
    people who come to my market stall - hand knitting mostly- and handle every item, with no intention of buying. then they pick eg a hat up, sneer at me and ask how much...HOW MUCH!!!! I COULD KNIT THAT IN AN HOUR!

STEP. AWAY. FROM. THE FCUKING. HATS.

I hear you, the "oh sure I could do that for half the price...

Yeah, buy the wool, knit it, bring it to the market, erect/pay for then stall, stand here all day, looking at wench's mauling the sh1t out of the merchandise, and keep smiling, really, REALLY?:D

STEP. AWAY. FROM. THE FCUKING. HATS.

I hear you, the "oh sure I could do that for half the price...

Yeah, buy the wool, knit it, bring it to the market, erect/pay for then stall, stand here all day, looking at wench's mauling the sh1t out of the merchandise, and keep smiling, really, REALLY?:D

it gets very tempting to do that. i say each year i will say sweetly when one starts,,please do not handle everything....oh i am just looking...so you have eyes in your fingers is the next temptation...

was one last y ear who picked up a hand made rosary. these are not cheap but made with costly materials. she saw the price tag and went ballistic...accused it was plastic and threw it down...spent a day now packing all the rosaries in self sealing cellophane bags.
    they also hold the jams upside down to see if they are set.

will remember your capital letter words every time now...thank you.:)

Or those "I was in xy and I know everything about the locals, I even how they think and what they do before going to bed etc. The whole country is horrible, people are rude etc. or I love that place everything is much better than back home, everything works, people love living there. They are happy."

Hmm, interesting input, how long did you live there?? "Eh I was there 3 days for a break."

Oh wonderful, you spent 3 days in 1 place in a certain country and you could already write thesis about it. Bravo!

you should read some of the us travel forums...they think they own ireland ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Shifty-eyed shop staff.

I'm not going to steal. I earn more than you, and looking at your prices (Arnotts) you are the ones trying to rob me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madra_alainn

Those Facebook posts that are aimed at someone in particular, but posted in a real vague way like

"From now on I'm only making time for the people who make time for me, everyone else can just go fcuk off"

or

"Cleaning up my Facebook friends list now....bye bye fcukers"

which lead to a load of even more annoying responses such as:

"U OK HUN??" or "Dont mind them hun, ur better than that"

Eh....maybe I should clean up my Facebook friends list.....?

2 women at the vending machine in the local gym.

'It says press selection to see price, where's the selection button?'

'I can't see it either.'

This went on for AGES!! They were moaning about it, looking for staff, tried the other vending machine. All while moaning in an Essex accent.

Me and another guy just kept smirking at each other, I could have helped, but didn't. Mainly because they were loud, obnoxious and gossiping the whole time!!

People who demolish gardens:mad: A fairly recent neighbour of ours just cut down two fabulous trees in his back yard, dick head. They were the nicest trees in the neighbourhood, they'll probably pave over it with concrete or put decking there. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have gardens. I don't care that it's his garden either:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

People that say "It's my Go To"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

People who use quotation marks in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Graces7 wrote: »
    People are so used to being able to go into Penny's and buy mass produced things on the cheap that they don't realise how long it takes to make things by hand. I knit and crochet for fun and I once crocheted a jumper and pair of dungarees for the craic. I would take them out at house parties and the amount of people who would offer me €20 to buy them, thinking they were giving me a load of money was hilarious. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't give it to them for the pricely sum they were offering and some of them got p!ssed off ;).

Here is my pride and joy :D

2 women at the vending machine in the local gym.

'It says press selection to see price, where's the selection button?'

'I can't see it either.'

This went on for AGES!! They were moaning about it, looking for staff, tried the other vending machine. All while moaning in an Essex accent.

Me and another guy just kept smirking at each other, I could have helped, but didn't. Mainly because they were loud, obnoxious and gossiping the whole time!!
    I'm shuddering at the memory of that accent. My husband is from Essex(doesn't have the accent), much. After meeting him for the first time my parents first comment when he was gone was 'thank God he doesn't have that accent':D

I hated living in Essex, with all that 'innit' and 'mate' business. There seemed to be a disproportionate number of really fat girls/women squeezed into far too tight clothing in Essex than anywhere else in England. I'm not exactly scrawny myself, nobody wants to see rolls of fat, especially sweaty stinky fat.

People that say "It's my Go To"

Or it's this season's must have *whatever*.

I'll decide what I must have, thanks.

Candie wrote: »
    Or it's this season's must have *whatever*.

I'll decide what I must have, thanks.

When I was trying on wedding dresses, the woman told me I HAVE TO try a specific one. I hated it, it had mesh and lace going up to my chin and it was horrible.

'but its definitely coming in this season, everyone will be wearing this style'

:mad: 'I dont like it! Its not me at all'

'Im telling you its lovely on you, you wont find a more on trend dress'

When I was trying on wedding dresses, the woman told me I HAVE TO try a specific one. I hated it, it had mesh and lace going up to my chin and it was horrible.

Surely that's a reason to not wear it :confused:

Grr! All on trend means is that you'll be able to tell what year your wedding was in when you look at the photos. Nothing dates faster than something 'on trend'!

I hate those up to the chin ones anyway, good job avoiding that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Hmmm what an odd thing to say when trying to make a sale; the last thing any woman wants is to have the same dress as everyone else.

On another note: people posting about how sunny it is on Facebook, I know it's sunny I have windows in my house too.

I think she was trying to say I'd be the first to have it....

Got a waaaay nicer one anyway :D

I bought a Vera Wang wedding dress online, it was a shop sample from Canada so I got a fantastic deal on it. I had it altered, screw the 'you don't alter Vera, you alter yourself to fit into a Vera Wang dress':D

I never thought I'd be a meringue kind of girl, it shocked me that I was, can't believe it's our 10th wedding anniversary at the end of the month:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Never posted in here so here goes,

People who document their childs lives on facebook, yes your child is lovely, and it can blow bubbles, get over it

When radio presenters cut in at the end of a good song and ruin it

People who won't leave you alone, after you telling them you're not interested, charity people for example

And when my car is broken, like now, to get to college now takes 3 hours :( It used to take 50 minutes

/rant

I bought a Vera Wang wedding dress online, it was a shop sample from Canada so I got a fantastic deal on it. I had it altered, screw the 'you don't alter Vera, you alter yourself to fit into a Vera Wang dress':D

I never thought I'd be a meringue kind of girl, it shocked me that I was, can't believe it's our 10th wedding anniversary at the end of the month:)

I went mermaid, but when I went in to show my mam and sister there was a girl there with a meringue dress and I was jealous!! Until I realised that I dont have the shape for it anyway.

Vera Wang sounds lovely :D cant really go wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    People are so used to being able to go into Penny's and buy mass produced things on the cheap that they don't realise how long it takes to make things by hand. I knit and crochet for fun and I once crocheted a jumper and pair of dungarees for the craic. I would take them out at house parties and the amount of people who would offer me €20 to buy them, thinking they were giving me a load of money was hilarious. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't give it to them for the pricely sum they were offering and some of them got p!ssed off ;).

That is deadly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

dubstarr wrote: »
    That is deadly:D

Unfortunately I am a dumbass. I spilled something on the trousers and put them in the washing machine on a low wash. The stain came out and the trousers weren't damaged (yay!) so I decided to push my luck. I was going to put them in the tumble dryer for 15 minutes but forget about them for an hour and when I took them out it was a disaster :o

It totally wrecked the trousers. They're still in one delicate piece but the heat destroyed the wool and in some places the wool came apart and caused a lot of irreparable damage. No amount of darning will restore them to their former glory :(

Trivial things that annoy me : my own stupidity

Never posted in here so here goes,

People who document their childs lives on facebook, yes your child is lovely, and it can blow bubbles, get over it

When radio presenters cut in at the end of a good song and ruin it

People who won't leave you alone, after you telling them you're not interested, charity people for example

And when my car is broken, like now, to get to college now takes 3 hours :( It used to take 50 minutes

/rant
    Welcome to the Dark Side:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Oh mah gawd - thing you want.

Price - POA

Oh my god - Job you want

Wage - TBA

Would you just print the fcking price/wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Price - POA

Oh my god - Job you want

Wage - TBA

Would you just print the fcking price/wage.

This reminded me of something that annoys me. You're applying to a job in somewhere like dunnes, they want you to fill out a form which includes employment history. Fair enough. Then they want to know how much your earned at it? They offer the same wage regardless, what have they to gain from knowing how much I've earned previously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I can't think of her name right now but there's an Irish female celebrity chef who is just like this. She married an Italian man and cooks mostly Italian food and any time she's on in the kitchen (my mother watched it every now and then) she always made a point of how much better everything is in Italy. Not just that their food and wine is good (we don't have much competition tbh) but how the entire way of life is just so much better. Awful annoying, I'm sure it's nice but every culture has its problems.

Price - POA

Ugh, this. I understand that if you're selling an expensive thing and you're a local business you might have some kind of offer you can do or let us haggle for price but at least give a clue. Back when I was searching home cinema stuff it was often hard to know if you were looking at something that would set you back €500 or €5000. Same when applying for lowly summer jobs, "how much do you expect to earn?", I don't know, I'm a student, I'll take what you've got.

Annoying things
    Overhearing teenagers/20-somethings having horribly ignorant discussions about politics or social issues or whatever. It's like a real life Youtube comments stream.

Those awful news websites (Buzzfeed, Upworthy et al) whose headlines tell you how reading the article will make you feel but not what it's actually about. "This X will completely blow your mind", "Watch this Y and your faith in humanity will be restored", "There's no way you can see this Z without laughing". Feck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Not knowing whether I have hayfever or a cold.
    I've never had hayfever before but I've had all the symptoms today.
    I didn't set foot outside all day just incase it was hayfever and my garden's full of flowers.
    Annoying thing is, I had a cold three weeks ago! :mad:

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »

we talk about this on ravelry forum.
    where some would charge ridiculous prices though

i keep prices way below the craft shops and i have found that the more beautiful my work, the worse the occasional sneering is. bet they cant knit

but the americans! am working novelty hats,owls, frogs, pigs, bears,and one us group in a minibus bought one each and drove off wearing them.

it is always irish women of a certain age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement