Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get Netgear Powerline to work on PC

Options
  • 09-01-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I've been having some trouble with my internet connection recently, and would like to switch to a wired connection to see if that helps at all. I already had one of these Netgear Powerline things for my console, and it works well for that. I've connected it to my PC now though but I can't get a wired connection, it doesn't show up, I've turned off my wireless card, and disabled wireless in Network connections, but no wired option is showing up, anyone know how I get this to work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

xK Marcus wrote: »
    I've been having some trouble with my internet connection recently, and would like to switch to a wired connection to see if that helps at all. I already had one of these Netgear Powerline things for my console, and it works well for that. I've connected it to my PC now though but I can't get a wired connection, it doesn't show up, I've turned off my wireless card, and disabled wireless in Network connections, but no wired option is showing up, anyone know how I get this to work?

What, you have no local area connection in network adapters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

This is most likely due to the wiring configuration in your home.
    The guy who wired my house told me that I wouldn't be able to use net plugs upstairs as the sockets are on different systems (or something to that effect)

As far as I know there's no easy work around.

You could test this by plugging your computer into the same outlet your console uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

CrinkElite wrote: »
    The guy who wired my house told me that I wouldn't be able to use net plugs upstairs as the sockets are on different systems (or something to that effect)

You could test this by plugging your computer into the same outlet your console uses.

I'm not using the same outlet, but I'm in the same room as my console, upstairs, about 3 feet from eachother

What, you have no local area connection in network adapters?

No, it doesn't seem to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought those homeplugs only worked in pairs. Have you a unit at the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not limited to pairs, you could have 3 of them.

But yes, one needs to be connected to the broadband router. OP you need to reset them all and pair them up again, just hold down the button. When the light starts flashing hold the button on the other 2 within 2 minutes. Read manual...

Also, your "wired connection" should show up on the pc, even if disconnected. There will be a red X through it if it can't detect a connection. If you can't see that then you might be missing a driver or something. Maybe you have it disabled for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I thought those homeplugs only worked in pairs. Have you a unit at the modem?

Its more like a switch, adding a extra unit is like adding a extra port. They are usually backwards compatible as well. There used to be two competing standards but I think that's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Sounds like a driver issue if it's not showing up in Network Connections.

srsly78 wrote: »

But yes, one needs to be connected to the broadband router. OP you need to reset them all and pair them up again, just hold down the button. When the light starts flashing hold the button on the other 2 within 2 minutes. Read manual...

Yeah, I have one connected from Modem -> Outlet and another from Outlet -> PC.

I'll reset it now, but should I have a LAN option in my Network Connections anyway? Do I need to install a driver?

Yes even if it's not working you should see a "disconnected" network adapter showing up on pc.

Depending on what version of windows you have, go into "network and sharing center", then click the "adapter settings" link. Should list your wifi and lan there. Make sure it's not disabled. If you can't see anything then install driver.

• Advertisement

Check to see there is an ethernet or gigabit network adapter listed in device driver. If not you may see a yellow exclamation mark which means you need the driver

Yes even if it's not working you should see a "disconnected" network adapter showing up on pc.

Depending on what version of windows you have, go into "network and sharing center", then click the "adapter settings" link. Should list your wifi and lan there. Make sure it's not disabled. If you can't see anything then install driver.

I have only my Wireless Connection, and then two off connections from Tunngle and Hamachi, which are programs I used to simulate LAN so I could play certain games with my friends, might they be causing a problem here? If I need to install a driver, which one do I need exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Also, your "wired connection" should show up on the pc, even if disconnected. There will be a red X through it if it can't detect a connection. If you can't see that then you might be missing a driver or something. Maybe you have it disabled for some reason?

Just to be clear, I meant a minimum of 2 to start with. I know you can build on after that. I have that set-up and they beam 150 mbps around the gaff:)

Check to see there is an ethernet or gigabit network adapter listed in device driver. If not you may see a yellow exclamation mark which means you need the driver

I have nothing else mentioned in Network Adapters, but in "Other Devices", I have Ethernet Controller, which had the yellow exclamation mark. Is that the one I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Its more like a switch, adding a extra unit is like adding a extra port. They are usually backwards compatible as well. There used to be two competing standards but I think that's gone now.

It's actually worse than that. It's more like a dumb hub.

Switch : Source device gets routed to destination device. Destination device only hears source device.
    Hub : Every device talks to every device but ignores traffic not for them. HUGE traffic overhead.

In a nutshell, the more powerlines you have an an electric circuit, the exponential slowdown you will experience. Not a huge problem for 2, 3, maybe 4 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have nothing else mentioned in Network Adapters, but in "Other Devices", I have Ethernet Controller, which had the yellow exclamation mark. Is that the one I need?

Take the powerlines out of the problem question. Plug your PC directly into the router to test. If that works, then the problem is with the powerlines. If it doesn't work, the problem is with your PC.

RangeR wrote: »
    Take the powerlines out of the problem question. Plug your PC directly into the router to test. If that works, then the problem is with the powerlines. If it doesn't work, the problem is with your PC.

I can't, my router is in a different room, I can't move it in here because there's no phone line, and I don't have an ethernet cable long enough. I've been using these powerlines for over a year now with my Xbox without fault, so I don't think it's them

That would be it, you need the driver for your network card

That would be it, you need the driver for your network card

I have an Asus Wireless Network card with this PC, I need a driver for that?

Wireless network card = wireless

Network card = cable - this is the one you are missing driver for

So reactivate your wireless, get on the internet and download the driver for the other one.

• Advertisement

Wireless network card = wireless

Network card = cable - this is the one you are missing driver for

So reactivate your wireless, get on the internet and download the driver for the other one.

The Network card is part of my Motherboard? I assume it is, because that's why my ethernet cable is plugged in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Moved to Computers & Technology.

The Network card is part of my Motherboard? I assume it is, because that's why my ethernet cable is plugged in

Well then get the driver on the manufacturers website

So I've installed the drivers now, and Local Area Connection is there now, but I'm not getting a connection from it, it's enabled, not sure why I'm not getting anything. What should I do to find out?

So I've installed the drivers now, and Local Area Connection is there now, but I'm not getting a connection from it, it's enabled, not sure why I'm not getting anything. What should I do to find out?

Nevermind, got it, thanks for all the help guys, I hope this solves my connection instability, looking good so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Happy to hear that it's going in the right direction.

This thread arrived in Computers today, so I've only just seen it.
    CrinkElite wrote: »

The above is NOT correct, unless you have 3 phase power in your house, which is VERY unlikely, ANY socket in the house that's connected to the same meter should be capable of seeing these network devices, as all circuits will be effectively commoned at the circuit breaker board, and in a lot of cases, neighbours on the same phase, (usually every third house in urban areas) may be able to see them as well, depending on the distance.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement