Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare man might go to mars.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Is anybody talking about doing a Manned mars orbit as the first stage of Human conquest of Mars?

Far easier of course than landing.

My common sense tells me this should be done first no to check all the systems
    The orbit could involve landing a unmanned lander as a test
    The unmanned lander could possible have some utility in future missions as well as a test.

This ( a fly-by) was the first stage of the Apollo missions to the moon
    Before anyone landed there they send a crew around it first
    in the
    Apollo 8 and Apollo 10 missions

Apollo 8 orbited the moon 20 times and Apollo 10 went 15 km from surface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Is anybody talking about doing a Manned mars orbit as the first stage of Human conquest of Mars?

Far easier of course than landing.

My common sense tells me this should be done first no to check all the systems
    The orbit could involve landing a unmanned lander as a test
    The unmanned lander could possible have some utility in future missions as well as a test.

This ( a fly-by) was the first stage of the Apollo missions to the moon
    Before anyone landed there they send a crew around it first
    in the
    Apollo 8 and Apollo 10 missions

Apollo 8 orbited the moon 20 times and Apollo 10 went 15 km from surface

I think because of the high costs involved and time it would take to send someone to mars they might as well land.

Just a thought on this though. If they did send a ship to stay in geostationary orbit around mars would a sky elevator be a feasible idea for mars because of its thinner atmosphere and weaker gravity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I think because of the high costs involved and time it would take to send someone to mars they might as well land.

Just a thought on this though. If they did send a ship to stay in geostationary orbit around mars would a sky elevator be a feasible idea for mars because of its thinner atmosphere and weaker gravity?

not really feasible for a first trip and as far as I know the two moons would cause problems

getting to Mars and back without a landing is easy

it might be possible with 2 falcon heavy launches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

update
    Mars colonist candidate expresses grave doubts about mission
    BY IRENE KLOTZ
    HOUSTON Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:56pm
    (Reuters) - A contender for a one-way mission to Mars says the venture is unrealistic and will not work, according to an essay by the candidate published on Wednesday.

Joseph Roche, an astrophysicist and lecturer at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, is among 100 finalists selected by Mars One, a nonprofit Dutch organization, for possible permanent resettlement on Mars in 10 years.

“I do not think we will see a one-way mission in my lifetime,” Roche wrote in an article published on Wednesday in the Guardian newspaper.

His comments are not the first words of skepticism about the project in the scientific community. In October, researchers with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology concluded that the plan, which aims to establish a self-sufficient colony of 24 settlers, is flawed.

“Although Mars One was never likely to overcome the financial and technical barriers during the proposed timeline, it was refreshing to hear a new idea that challenges us to think about our own role in the future of space exploration,” Roche wrote.

Roche broke his silence after Mars One issued a “top 10 candidates” list which he said was based on how much financial support candidates had donated to the organization.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/18/us-space-mars-idUSKBN0ME2BQ20150318?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Mars One appears to be a pipedream with an unsustainable plan. Was this set up to make its owners rich? Is it just an elaborate scam?

My previous posts show how unsustainable and unrealistic it is. I predict that 2 things will happen: more and more candidates will drop out/lose interest AND the project will be delayed several times and then will disappear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Advertisement