Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email client setup

Options
  • 09-01-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys, im looking for a bit of help setting up an email system.
    Basically i have one main computer which receives emails and three more which i want to be able to access these emails.
    So if the emails come into the main computer and one is deleted for example it is also gone when one of the other computers want to view them.
    Was going to go with thunderbird and IMAP but will that mean i get a copy of each email going to every computer?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IMAP works as you describe. The client shows a view of whats on the mail server, and if you delete or move a message on one the same change is reflected on any other that connects to the account via IMAP. How a mail client handles downloading messages depends on the client in question, some may just download headers (small blocks of information about the message) while others might download the entire message. IIRC, Thunderbird downloads the entire message though it can be configured to only download headers until the message is opened if desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

IMAP works as you describe. The client shows a view of whats on the mail server, and if you delete or move a message on one the same change is reflected on any other that connects to the account via IMAP. How a mail client handles downloading messages depends on the client in question, some may just download headers (small blocks of information about the message) while others might download the entire message. IIRC, Thunderbird downloads the entire message though it can be configured to only download headers until the message is opened if desired.

Thanks! got thunderbird working with IMAP, it does what i was looking for.

Advertisement