Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting a desktop computer to Spain

Options
  • 09-01-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I'm moving to Spain and I want my work machine over there with me.

It's a desktop with an ATX tower and 2 x 24" monitors.

What's the smartest way to send it? Courier or something else. has anyone done anything similar here?

Should I take the boards out and wrap them in bubble wrap, or are they more likely to get damaged that way?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Leave all the boards in the desktop, they all get transported with cards in from the manufacturer, but just to be absolutely sure, check they are all secure when it arrives before you power it on. Put some bubble wrap around it, and then put it in a substantial box and make sure it can't move in the box when the flaps are closed.

Re the monitors, with that size of a monitor, I would suggest getting some plywood or similar that's the right size for the screen, tape that over the front of it, and then wrap it well in bubble wrap, unless you still have the original boxes and packaging to put them back in again. Then, put one or both in a heavy duty box, and make sure that the screens are not on the outside, and that they can't move in the box. A possible source of large boxes are the companies that offer storage space in units at their warehouses. The important thing with the monitors is to make sure that nothing can put pressure on a small area of the screen, as that could crack or break it. If they are protected with board, and then ideally taped face to face, that will certainly help protect them. They may be easier to pack if they are taken off their stands, and the stands are either packed separately in the same box, or even in another box with things like the keyboard, etc. Another option may be to put them into a hard shell samsonite type suitcase, or cases, suitably padded with bubble wrap, that will give them a lot more protection.

As for who to use, that's hard, if you use a company like DHL surface, it will take a while, but it should be possible to get insurance cover on the consignment, which I would regard as essential. Whoever you use, make sure that when you book the items, or deliver them to the hub, they know that the equipment is fragile, make sure you get some "fragile" sticky tape or similar to put on the outside, and at that stage, you've done about as much as you can.

Hope that helps

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Flatscreen monitors fit in a normal suitcase :p Just be sure to pad them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

srsly78 wrote: »
    Flatscreen monitors fit in a normal suitcase :p Just be sure to pad them well.
    That's a very good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Leave all the boards in the desktop, they all get transported with cards in from the manufacturer, but just to be absolutely sure, check they are all secure when it arrives before you power it on. Put some bubble wrap around it, and then put it in a substantial box and make sure it can't move in the box when the flaps are closed.

Re the monitors, with that size of a monitor, I would suggest getting some plywood or similar that's the right size for the screen, tape that over the front of it, and then wrap it well in bubble wrap, unless you still have the original boxes and packaging to put them back in again. Then, put one or both in a heavy duty box, and make sure that the screens are not on the outside, and that they can't move in the box. A possible source of large boxes are the companies that offer storage space in units at their warehouses. The important thing with the monitors is to make sure that nothing can put pressure on a small area of the screen, as that could crack or break it. If they are protected with board, and then ideally taped face to face, that will certainly help protect them. They may be easier to pack if they are taken off their stands, and the stands are either packed separately in the same box, or even in another box with things like the keyboard, etc. Another option may be to put them into a hard shell samsonite type suitcase, or cases, suitably padded with bubble wrap, that will give them a lot more protection.

As for who to use, that's hard, if you use a company like DHL surface, it will take a while, but it should be possible to get insurance cover on the consignment, which I would regard as essential. Whoever you use, make sure that when you book the items, or deliver them to the hub, they know that the equipment is fragile, make sure you get some "fragile" sticky tape or similar to put on the outside, and at that stage, you've done about as much as you can.

Hope that helps

This all makes sense. Luckily I know someone with a 100m roll of bubble wrap!

Advertisement