Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best central midfielder in the world at this moment?

• 09-01-2014 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Having this argument with some friends. I think it's almost certainly Arturo Vidal but I'm just interested in what the mainstream opinion is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Blatter wrote: »
    Having this argument with some friends. I think it's almost certainly Arturo Vidal but I'm just interested in what the mainstream opinion is?

At this very moment, Vidal, but only because Bastien Schweinsteiger is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yaya Toure maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Without doubt it has to be Tom Cleverley :D

Yaya for me as well,once he gets going he is very hard to stop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tom Cleverly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would have to say pirlo is up there right now . To me he is a joy to watch .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Yeah, has to be Cleverly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I would have to say pirlo is up there right now .

He's not.

But his team mate is the best centre mid in Europe over the last 12-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It has to be Yaya Toure. Probably would have said the same for the last 3 or 4 years at least.

Or Glenn Whelan. Actually ya I'll go for Glenn Whelan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Glenn whealen for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Vidal
    YAYA

• Advertisement

At this very moment, Vidal, but only because Bastien Schweinsteiger is injured.

I love Bastien, but I think Vidal is in better form. Those two are the standouts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Vidal

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yaya
    Vidal
    Silva
    Fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

callaway92 wrote: »
    It has to be Yaya Toure. Probably would have said the same for the last 3 or 4 years at least

Did you see much of him last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Seaneh wrote: »
    I love Bastien, but I think Vidal is in better form. Those two are the standouts though.

+ 1 on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Vidal IMO. Yaya is a superb player and unstoppable at times, however I think the criticism in him negating defensive duties is warranted some of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Toure farted his way through many games last year. He wasn't at all as effective as he has been so far this season.

Vidal far more standout, both in the league and Europe.

Schweinsteiger's injuries stop him from taking the mantle, in my eyes. Only just, too.

Well to be fair Schweinsteiger has been injured pretty much all season. Last season it was him, this season it's Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Jay Spearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Aidan O'Shea, oh sorry wrong forum. (he'd still be better than Cleverley though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is it just me, or is centre mid worldwide a weaker category than it used to be? So many great centre mids retired in the recent past, and a glut are on their last legs too, but I just don't see their places being filled.

There are still plenty of top quality players there of course, but it just feels like it's still far fewer than it used to be, even only 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is centre mid worldwide a weaker category than it used to be? So many great centre mids retired in the recent past, and a glut are on their last legs too, but I just don't see their places being filled.

There are still plenty of top quality players there of course, but it just feels like it's still far fewer than it used to be, even only 5 years ago.

I think the centre mid role has been split somewhat into a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder.

Years ago those roles wouldn't necessarily exist, or would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

brevity wrote: »
    I think the centre mid role has been split somewhat into a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder.

Years ago those roles wouldn't necessarily exist, or would they?

I think this is part of it alright, but I think CM's used to be more rounded - you'd have a tough bastard as effective as a DM, but who could also play, get involved in attacking play - the likes of Vieira, pre-injury Essien, Davids, Keane etc.

I just feel like there used to be a "bite" to nearly every centre midfielder in the past, almost as a pre-requisite, which is lacking these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Id go with Vidal aswell, although a certain french man will surely challenge that in the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

astonaidan wrote: »
    Id go with Vidal aswell, although a certain french man will surely challenge that in the next few years

Pogba?

Who is the most underrated midfielder then seems like Vidal and Yaya are main too by most posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Vidal and i'm a Milan fan saying that. Himself, Pogba & Pirlo made De Rossi & Strootman (who are no mugs) look like boys last weekend. Big fan of Schweinsteiger too as long as he stays injury free. As a fan I wish Xavi & Pirlo were younger its like they are the last of their kind, I like Pogba & a few guys now but those two I mentioned could dictate a game to the point a novice would notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Xavi Hernandez. Some lovely quotes from the Barcelona president, Sandro Rosell, on the metronome. "If you look at the numbers, there's no doubt that Xavi is the best Spanish player in history. It'll only be years from now that we'll see what Xavi has meant. He's the architect of this team."

No, he doesn't play each game anymore, he is pushing on in years now. However on Saturday in the white hot atmosphere of the Vicente Calderon, against the brutish but brilliantly efficient Atletico Madrid, Xavi Hernandez will line up, adding to his record number of appearances for the club he has been at since the age of 11. Billed as the biggest game of the season, it will probably go a long way to deciding the destination of the Primera División, at the heart of the Barcelona midfield, pulling the strings, dictating the play as only he can will be the 33 year old. It's another massive game, another in a long list for the Catalan who has played, and dominated, Clasico's, Champions League finals, European Championship finals and a World Cup final. The great man says he feels better now than he has in the last two seasons, in a recent interview with "Paneka" he claims that he is at the height of his game right now in terms of bringing together fitness, ability and experience.

He's the symbol, and one of the fiercest protectors of tiki taka, even at 33, for me, no other midfield in the world still influences a game as much as Barcelona's orchestrator in chief. So that's my case as to why Xavi Hernandez remains the best central midfielder in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Vidal

Xavi Hernandez.

wrong.gif

Maybe 3 years ago, but now, not a ****ing hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Fabregas

Gets none of the praise he deserves at Barca cos of Messi, Neymar, Xavi/Iniesta. But if you watch him play you'll see why he's the best.

Crazy how he's still only 26.

wrong.gif

Opinions in football shift so rapidly it makes it seem as though time were moving much quicker than it really is. If Barcelona go on to win the Champions League this season and Spain lift the World Cup then perhaps the Joe McHale gif will be on the other foot. I've put forward the case for the great man, I have no wish to derail this thread but I don't see his selection is ridiculous or gif-worthy, given that he is still the heart of a midfield that tops La Liga, that won La Liga last season and that could well go on to win the Champions League this season and, with Spain, win the World Cup.

Opinions in football shift so rapidly it makes it seem as though time were moving much quicker than it really is. If Barcelona go on to win the Champions League this season and Spain lift the World Cup then perhaps the Joe McHale gif will be on the other foot. I've put forward the case for the great man, I have no wish to derail this thread but I don't see his selection is ridiculous or gif-worthy, given that he is still the heart of a midfield that tops La Liga, that won La Liga last season and that could well go on to win the Champions League this season and, with Spain, win the World Cup.

You've posted a rambling, pointless, boring monologue, as you are prone to do, and it says exactly nothing, NOTHING, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cleverly (with only 2 e's) for me as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Xavi Hernandez. Some lovely quotes from the Barcelona president, Sandro Rosell, on the metronome. "If you look at the numbers, there's no doubt that Xavi is the best Spanish player in history. It'll only be years from now that we'll see what Xavi has meant. He's the architect of this team."

No, he doesn't play each game anymore, he is pushing on in years now. However on Saturday in the white hot atmosphere of the Vicente Calderon, against the brutish but brilliantly efficient Atletico Madrid, Xavi Hernandez will line up, adding to his record number of appearances for the club he has been at since the age of 11. Billed as the biggest game of the season, it will probably go a long way to deciding the destination of the Primera División, at the heart of the Barcelona midfield, pulling the strings, dictating the play as only he can will be the 33 year old. It's another massive game, another in a long list for the Catalan who has played, and dominated, Clasico's, Champions League finals, European Championship finals and a World Cup final. The great man says he feels better now than he has in the last two seasons, in a recent interview with "Paneka" he claims that he is at the height of his game right now in terms of bringing together fitness, ability and experience.

He's the symbol, and one of the fiercest protectors of tiki taka, even at 33, for me, no other midfield in the world still influences a game as much as Barcelona's orchestrator in chief. So that's my case as to why Xavi Hernandez remains the best central midfielder in the world.

For gods sake man. I'm as big a Xavi fanboy as anyone but he's not even close right now.

Vidal is head and shoulders above anyone else atm imo. And he DOES play every game, and every game he's the best player on the field.

He is as close to the complete player as you'll find. Stamina, pace, power, technique, he can literally play anywhere and play very ****ing well anywhere.

His penalties have to been to be believed too. More or less impossible to save.

You've posted a rambling, pointless, boring monologue, as you are prone to do, and it says exactly nothing, NOTHING, as usual.

Read the post again, it definitely says something, infact it says a lot of things, it states a few facts, it puts forward a few hypothetical scenarios, and it contains a few core reasons as to why I believe that the hub of the most successful Barcelona and Spain side in history is still the best midfielder in the world. If you disagree, fine, however I think it is foolish to completely dismiss Xavi Hernandez and not do the same to other, far more dubious names that have been mentioned in this thread (Pirlo being one of those). This will be my last post on this thread because I'd rather the thread not become about me (unless someone wants to stake a claim for me being the best midfielder in the world, in which case I'm flattered but there may be other, more deserving candidates).

I dont think anyone thinks Xavi is not still a fine midfielder.

They're just a nice bunch ahead of him at moment.

We all agree Xavi will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

He just aint near that now. Still fine fine player just not best. Simple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Vidal for sure I reckon. Has everything in his game.

Read the post again, it definitely says something, infact it says a lot of things, it states a few facts, it puts forward a few hypothetical scenarios, and it contains a few core reasons as to why I believe that the hub of the most successful Barcelona and Spain side in history is still the best midfielder in the world. If you disagree, fine, however I think it is foolish to completely dismiss Xavi Hernandez and not do the same to other, far more dubious names that have been mentioned in this thread (Pirlo being one of those). This will be my last post on this thread because I'd rather the thread not become about me (unless someone wants to stake a claim for me being the best midfielder in the world, in which case I'm flattered but there may be other, more deserving candidates).

Nobody is "compeletely" dismissing anyone.

We just aren't blinded by ideology enough to believe that a player who is past his best is the "best midfielder in the world".

He's not even close to Vidal or Bastian or even Yaya.

But as usual, you just go on your normal barca fanboy rant.

And for the love of ****ing god, learn how to use paragraphs, he's painful enough to read your sycophantic sh*te, lack of paragraphs just makes it tedious.

• Advertisement

Nobody is "compeletely" dismissing anyone.

We just aren't blinded by ideology enough to believe that a player who is past his best is the "best midfielder in the world".

He's not even close to Vidal or Bastian or even Yaya.

But as usual, you just go on your normal barca fanboy rant.

And for the love of ****ing god, learn how to use paragraphs, he's painful enough to read your sycophantic sh*te, lack of paragraphs just makes it tedious.

You lost that battle I think, you cracked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

xavi%2Bscary%2Bviktoria%2Bbarca%2Bbarcelona%2Bfcbarcelona%2Bbarcablog%2Bbarca%2Bblog%2Bviktoria%2Bbarca%2Bbarcelona%2Bfcbarcelona%2Bbarcablog%2Bbarca%2Bblog.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ozil for me. Makes the players around him better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

This is just articulate hyperbole. It's as if you've taken a thesaurus to a sky sports premier league ad.

I agree with your sentiments regarding Xavi, in that he was, and to a lesser extent still is a great player, but your constant use of terms more fitting to martyrs and world leaders takes away from what is a valid, if disputable point you're making

"Nobody is "compeletely" dismissing anyone." - Seaneh

20 minutes earlier..........
    wrong.gif

Ok this is my last post, I just couldn't resist pointing out such a glaring bit of hypocrisy. I'm gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Yaya for me just a total class act, Pogba be up there in a few years. Vidal is a close second just short imo. Ramsey would have been in the discussion for form alone a month ago but wouldnt put him near the top 10.

He's not near the best midfielder in the world, ANYMORE.

That doesn't mean I think he's not a good player anymore, he's just not playing at the level he was 3 years ago.

The gif was in reply to your hyperbolic nonsense monolog of a post, which, as per usual, did littler but abuse cliches and regurgitate the same ****e you always post when textually masturbate over Barcelona in the saddest of fanboy ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vidal for me, although I wouldn't have seen near as much of him as many on here. Seems to be the best all-round footballer on the planet though.

Ozil for me. Makes the players around him better

I wouldn't call Ozil a central midfielder though, he roams behind the striker.

I'm not even going to bother with the Xavi crap, I'll just get bombarded with monologues about how he's from the academy and epitomises Barcas play blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He's not.

But his team mate is the best centre mid in Europe over the last 12-18 months.

Has there been someone outside Europe who's better than him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement