Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best central midfielder in the world at this moment?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I don't pay enough attention to the other continents to be sure, but I'd assume not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Would like to see Vidal do it at a higher level than the fourth best league in Europe before declaring him the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Would like to see Vidal do it at a higher level than the fourth best league in Europe before declaring him the best.

Probably the 5th best with the French league constitantly improving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Steffan Effenberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Michael Carrick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ozil for me. Makes the players around him better

Don't think he's consistent enough to be considered up there with the top 5 even.

Vidal
    Pogba
    Yaya
    Bastien Schweinsteiger
    Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

5 pages in and no mention of the peerless Lucas Leiva

For shame my Liverpool supporting brethren, for shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

1: Cleverly
    2: Anderson
    3: Giggs
    4: Jones
    5: Yaya Toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ramsey ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

D'Agger wrote: »
    5 pages in and no mention of the peerless Lucas Leiva

For shame my Liverpool supporting brethren, for shame

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Don't think he's consistent enough to be considered up there with the top 5 even.

Vidal
    Pogba
    Yaya
    Bastien Schweinsteiger
    Iniesta.

I don't think Pogba deserves to be in that grouping yet at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Ilkay Gundogan is alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

He was in Germany and depth wise Spain & that league are fairly weak. Having watched Villareal vs Sociedad earlier I couldn't comprehend anyone thinking either are a top side.

GTR63 wrote: »
    He was in Germany and depth wise Spain & that league are fairly weak. Having watched Villareal vs Sociedad earlier I couldn't comprehend anyone thinking either are a top side.

Yes, but he wasn't lauded in Germany like he is now. In that sense he has not done it in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yes, but he wasn't lauded in Germany like he is now. In that sense he has not done it in Germany.
    Yes he definitely was, Im not sure how you missed out on that, but you had people saying sure he hadnt been tested in a proper league then aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Only proving yourself in the EPL will do! :rolleyes:

Maybe thats cause he plays with a better team now, no?
    And he is in his clearly in his peak, thats why Bayern came in for him when he left Leverkusen & when he was at Juve. Kagawa & Sahin were both lauded there and neither did much at all when they left Gemany.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Javi Martinez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I vote for Vidal, has absolutely everything in his locker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andy Carroll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yes, but he wasn't lauded in Germany like he is now.

Yes he was.

He was also only 22 when he left Germany. He's scored 35 goals in 104 games for Juventus. He's played AM, DM, CB and even RB.

He's the most important player in a side that contain Andrea Pirlo. Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Most complete footballer in Europe for me, the world most likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

kryogen wrote: »
    Most complete footballer in Europe for me, the world most likely
    Well Im sure Gary Doherty will have something to say about that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Can we rename this thread 'The Official Manyoo scouting' hread please?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yes he was.

He was also only 22 when he left Germany. He's scored 35 goals in 104 games for Juventus. He's played AM, DM, CB and even RB.

He's the most important player in a side that contain Andrea Pirlo. Says it all.

No, he quite clearly was not. Highly rated, sure. The best midfielder in Europe? Please. Like i said, needs to prove it at a higher level than Serie A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Oh, surely Vidal. He is the complete package.

And absolute wonder to watch.

I'm also a big fan of Yaya Touré though. A machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Jordy Clasie

Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Tom Cleverley. Some lovely quotes from the former Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, on the metronome. ""He, to my mind, is probably the best midfield player in Britain, potentially. He has fantastic promise."

No, he doesn't play each game anymore. Realistically, his mind only allows him to turn up for 1 in 10. However on Saturday in the white hot atmosphere of the Theater of Dreams, against the brutish but brilliantly efficient Swansea, Tom Cleverley will line up, adding to his number of infuriating appearances for the club he has been at since the age of 12. Billed as the biggest game of United's season thus far, it will probably go a long way to deciding the destiny of the current Premier League Champions' League berth, at the heart of the United midfield, pulling the strings, dictating the play as only he can will be the 24 year old. It's another massive game, another in a long list for the Briton who has played, and dominated, crucial relegation battles, Championship games, the occasional European match, a couple of minutes in a game for England, and a handful of underage and reserve games for United. Its a glowing resumé. The great man says he feels better now than he has in the last few seasons, in a recent interview with the media he claims that he is at the height of his game right now in terms of bringing together fitness, ability and experience.

He's the symbol, and one of the fiercest protectors of hidee hidea, even at 24, for me, no other midfield in the world still starts games as much as United's orchestrator in chief, while having so many believe he was never even there. So that's my case as to why Tom Cleverley remains the best central midfielder in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Yaya Toure for me, jesus what I wouldn't do to have a player like him at Liverpool.

The man can do it all and has the same intensity in his game from the first to the very last minute. Quite simply a beast of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

yep... YaYa for me. Worth every penny City are paying him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sikpupi wrote: »

yep... YaYa for me. Worth every penny City are paying him!!

A great player but I'll disagree that he's worth £250,000 each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NIMAN wrote: »
    A great player but I'll disagree that he's worth £250,000 each week.

He is to City, or they wouldn't be paying it.

Javi Martinez.

He was great in 2012/13 until Pep got hold of him & suffocated his talents, Dante & co have missed him badly in front of them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its between Yaya Toure & Arturo Vidal for me.

Yaya's form suffered after playing in the ACON so Vidal probably gets the nod for form over the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Schweinsteiger has it all imo. There's no facet of a CMs game that he is not strong at.

However, I will admit that I know very little about Vidal so it's not really fair for me to comment as it seems he is very highly rated here.

Yaya is a fantastic player, but I wonder is he going more of the way of a Gerrard/Lampard 5 years ago than what we would consider a truly rounded CM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Morzadec wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger has it all imo. There's no facet of a CMs game that he is not strong at.

However, I will admit that I know very little about Vidal so it's not really fair for me to comment as it seems he is very highly rated here.

Yaya is a fantastic player, but I wonder is he going more of the way of a Gerrard/Lampard 5 years ago than what we would consider a truly rounded CM?

I would say so. He's not particularly outstanding in his defensive game. Whereas Vidal and Scheinsteiger have that, plus the attacking threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The dismissal of Xavi as a top midfielder currently is laughable tbh. Might not be getting the assists and goals to show for it, but he's invaluable to any team he plays in at the moment. He never loses the ball, always picks not just a good pass, but the right pass. Every. single. time.

He's basically a manager on the pitch. He decides when to attack, when to slow down, dictates the team perfectly. Absolutely amazing player, even if he is at the end of his career.

I'd be the first to admit I wasn't impressed with him last season, he dipped dramatically in form. He was slow, unimaginative & predictable.

But his absence when out of the Barca team this season is so noticeable.

But I'd still have Iniesta over him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

miralize wrote: »
    But his absence when out of the Barca team this season is so noticeable.
    Doesn't seem to affect them too much results wise though. The five games he hasn't started this season, Barca have won 4-0, 4-0, 2-1, 3-0 and 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Fellaini

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sure lads seeing as we can use Xavi's ability 3 years ago as a reason he's the best midfielder in the world.

I vote for Zidane, sure he's been retired for almost 8 years, but He's Zidane, he's won EVERYTHING and been not just the best in his position or the best in the world but one of the all time greats, who would walk onto anybodies all time greatest 11, and I saw a video a few weeks back of him training with Real so he still counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Oscarrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tom Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Seaneh wrote: »
    Sure lads seeing as we can use Xavi's ability 3 years ago as a reason he's the best midfielder in the world.

I vote for Zidane, sure he's been retired for almost 8 years, but He's Zidane, he's won EVERYTHING and been not just the best in his position or the best in the world but one of the all time greats, who would walk onto anybodies all time greatest 11, and I saw a video a few weeks back of him training with Real so he still counts.

Where did I say that? His form right now is as good as it ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd give him a trial at United, he'll do well to get in the team ahead of the great Tom Cleverley or TC23 as he is sometimes known.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Has anyone made the Tom Cleverley joke yet? No?

Tom Cleverley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Morzadec wrote: »
    Has anyone made the Tom Cleverley joke yet? No?

Tom Cleverley

Copycat :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Anderson

How much do you think it would cost to buy Vidal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

50m or so i'd say. Maybe more.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    50m or so i'd say. Maybe more.

hes be well worth it for United

• Advertisement
Advertisement