Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do utility companies only bill every two months ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apart from the fact BGÉ use a completely unexplained time varying conversion factor to go from m^3 to kWh for your gas bill
    In winter, gas is colder and therefore denser and you get more kWh per m3. Conversely, in summer, it is warmer, less dense and you get less. Depending on the source of the gas, the methane percentage may also vary slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

murphym7 wrote: »
    I moved a few months ago from a house with Oil central heating so had no gas account. I rang Bord Gais and they had 3 options for me.

1) Pay a stupid amount of a deposit and pay per bill
    2) Pay a less stupid amount of a deposit and go Direct debit
    3) Pay an average amount each month throughout the year with no deposit

Obviously chose option 3, and I am happy out I have to say. A fixed amount taken out each month, no surprises. I might be in deficit for the next bill but will be in credit or break even shortly after that. No big deal at all. Might look into doing the same with electricity if it’s possible.

Yes they will also do it for electricity. I had both electricity and gas on level pay and was very happy with the fact that I knew what the next three months bills would be.
    OU812 wrote: »
    That Level Pay is a load of crap. They take your previous year's bills add 20% & then average it over 12 payments. Why add 20% ?

Not true, they take the average bill across a rolling 12 month usage at that address (so for renters, it could be based on the previous tenants usage pattern). They use that to calculate what the future payments should be. When I was with them, the amounts were reviewed every three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »
    In winter, gas is colder and therefore denser and you get more kWh per m3. Conversely, in summer, it is warmer, less dense and you get less. Depending on the source of the gas, the methane percentage may also vary slightly.
    I tracked the conversion factor and there didn't seem to be an annual cycle. Also as my meter is only read a few times a year, when I use the gas and the conversion factor can be out of whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not only purely seasonal, as both Victor and I said. Gas comes from different wells, different countries even, and even from one well the characteristics will change over time. If you want to make sure you get maximum value out of it, just read your own meter and submit readings online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Alun wrote: »
    It's not only purely seasonal, as both Victor and I said. Gas comes from different wells, different countries even, and even from one well the characteristics will change over time. If you want to make sure you get maximum value out of it, just read your own meter and submit readings online.

But one reading is for a couple of months, and the fudge/conversion factor can change then.

We should be billed on what's measured, especially as we're taxed on kWh, but kWH isn't measured.

If they billed every month, they'd halve their inaccuracy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The conversion factor is measured every day and then averaged out over the period in question.

Advertisement