Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Download Problems

Options
  • 09-01-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

My father downloaded some program to watch a live football match, and ever since then, the laptop has been dead slow. I uninstalled everything he downloaded (which he said was only one thing) but one programme won't uninstall for me (Trusteer Endpoint Protection?)

Also, the laptop screen surround / theme has gone grey (old type system) - how do I return it to what it was?

I have ran Malwarebytes and removed everything it suggested.

See screenshot of laptop them. Thanks for your help

e4y3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Where is it in the screen shot?

Great little program called Ccleaner, can be gotten for free. You're on XP, are you?

Grab it from here: http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

That, when you run it, can do a couple of things. One, it clears all your cookies and browsing history, etc. So in effect, clears dead wood which will have a small impact on performance - nothing major, admittedly.

Other, is that it has functionality to uninstall programs, among other things. Check to see if the program you are on about shows up in Ccleaner and see if it will uninstall for you that way.

FIRST - If you haven't tried it yet, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for it there and see if it allows you to uninstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Knex. wrote: »
    Great little program called Ccleaner, can be gotten for free. You're on XP, are you?

Does it look like he is on XP? No! Sorry, i find it hard to take someones advise when they cannot even tell what OS the OP is using.

/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

davo2001 wrote: »
    Does it look like he is on XP? No! Sorry, i find it hard to take someones advise when they cannot even tell what OS the OP is using.

/rant.

Good thing it's not you looking for the advice then isn't it?

Advice still stands.

davo2001 wrote: »

/rant.

Actually OP, just do this. Davo has kindly nailed the problem on the head for you.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What about safe mode run anti virus and malware bytes?

What anti virus do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

lm8k.jpg

rsji.jpg

2me6.jpg

any5.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, cutting past the children bickering, Trusteer is a known application that is usually installed by some banking or other financial programs, it could well have come from the payment system used to pay for the match, and if that's the case, it is just a nuisance.

It should be removable by an uninstall from control panel, but as has been mentioned, Ccleaner free version will also provide a path in the "other" options to remove it.

It may also be worth running another program from Piriform, (the company that writes Ccleaner) called Defraggler, which will clean up fragmentation, and this can be another source of slow downs.

So, if you can get rid of Trusteer from the Control panel, that's fine, otherwise go at it from Ccleaner, and also make sure that you clean out the machine as well, to get rid of old files, and tidy up the browser cache, all of which should help

See how it goes from there after you have run these suggested 2 programs.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The match was free to view, so no payment was required.

I have run CCleaner, removed all the old files, and tried the uninstall via this program which only leaves me to the same path as above!

I will download the Defraggler now - the only problem I am having now is the old style windows surround and the unable to get rid of Trusteer.

Thanks again.

System Restore might be a route you want to go down as well, OP.

Knex. wrote: »
    System Restore might be a route you want to go down as well, OP.

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but how do I go about doing that?

• Advertisement

OK, when that screen comes up on trusteer, go to the input box (under the grid) on that, and enter the code from the grid, and it should then be removed, if it is not, then there may be some malware implications with it.

Re the suggestion of a system restore, hang fire on that for a while.

Just been looking at Malwarebytes antimalware for the settings I have here, before you run it again, go into settings, then scanner settings, in that option there are drop down boxes to select options for PUP PUM and P2P. Make sure that the PUP AND PUM are selected to find and select these items, and while not as critical it won't hurt to have P2P selected as well,

Also make sure all the tick boxes are selected as well, then go to the scanner tab and run it again, if it's not big machine data wise do a full scan, if it's got a lot of files on it, do a quick scan.

That should make some difference, come back with the results, I will be watching the thread for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

The match was free to view, so no payment was required.

the only problem I am having now is the old style windows surround and the unable to get rid of Trusteer.

Thanks again.

You are using windows 7 so it could be the system is set to max performance so it would turn off all the flashy bits
    In Control Panel ==> System ==> Advanced system settings ==> Advanced tab ==>performance button ==> adjust for best appearance radio button and click ok.

Right, so heres the results of the Defraggler:

pfrw.jpg

And I've found where the Windows 7 basic theme is - however, it's not letting me apply it? Any ideas?

s2fk.jpg

micko45 wrote: »
    You are using windows 7 so it could be the system is set to max performance so it would turn off all the flashy bits
    In Control Panel ==> System ==> Advanced system settings ==> Advanced tab ==>performance button ==> adjust for best appearance radio button and click ok.

Thanks - but didn't work.

OK, can't help with 7 theme, I don't have any machines on 7 here,

Did you manage to get rid of Trusteer?

Did Malwarebytes set as I suggested come back clear?

Cheers

Steve

OK, can't help with 7 theme, I don't have any machines on 7 here,

Did you manage to get rid of Trusteer?

Did Malwarebytes set as I suggested come back clear?

Cheers

Steve

Still running through a full scan at the moment. Running 20+ mins now. Will report back when done.

Advertisement