Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limber tail

• 09-01-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

My 2 year old lab collie cross stopped wagging her tail it was just hanging in an I'm sad afraid way. We had been for a walk in the rain and I towelled her off and wrapped her in a blanket - she's a big baby. At bedtime 2 hrs later it was hanging there and she was looking at it as though it was an alien. She's in good form eating and playing a bit but slightly quiet - she keeps bringing me her lead. It's so sad not to see her tail sail. She's never unsupervised so we would have seen her hurt herself but she's an over waggy dog. Literally constantly wagging. A bit of googling came up with this suggestion. She hates the vet. And our lady vet won't be there til Monday (men vets freak her totally) , I have her booked in for there but if she gets worse we will brave the man vet! Her tail will certainly be down for that! Not looking for medical advice but seeing if anyone has had a similar proble. She's toilet ing ok

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

She didn't bang her back or fall recently? Vertebrate damage is what I was thinking or something like that but I am only guessing here. If you move her tail is she in any pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Thanks logik, no no fall or bang and as I said she's company all day so it would have been noticed. She doesn't mind us at her tail. She's just wondering why were rubblng that and not her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My collie has back problems which are kept under control with the correct treatments. At one stage though she couldnt wag her tail and the problem was her lower back. Rest and the right medication sorted it out so I would keep your dog as quiet as possible until you get to the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

minipink wrote: »
    Thanks logik, no no fall or bang and as I said she's company all day so it would have been noticed. She doesn't mind us at her tail. She's just wondering why were rubblng that and not her head.

Can I just add to that - they dont have to fall or have any obvious accidents to hurt their back. Sometimes just the wrong move is enough especially if there is a weak spot.

Thanks maggiepip, she's my little ray of sunshine and if anything happened her I'd be inconsolable. I'll make her brave up and head to the male vet tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This happened to my dog before - one of his anal glands was full. Vet emptied it and he was fine the next day.

Can dogs go to the toilet with full anal glands? She's normal in that department. Tk123, I've been a long time lurker on this forum only started posting recently. I have to say I love reading your posts and your dogs are fab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:D Thanks! Yes they can go as normal. We were going on a walk one afternoon and I thought I got the fishy smell before the walk, then on the walk I realised his tail was down. Took him to the park the next morning and he got out of the lake and his tail just hung down like it was dead :( which was awful to see. Any other dogs we met didn't know what to make of him because he wasn't wagging his tail! Off to the vets and she checked all down his spine and then emptied the glands. He was fine then the next day thank god. I love his feathery retriever tail! :p

Thanks, no fishy smell but I do know the one you're talking about. Yeah Lola's a lab collie cross so her feathery bits are not visible now. Just as I got my rescue foster sorted this happened. If her tail went down tomorrow we would be thinking that she was pining for her foster sister.

Advertisement