Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi in Waterford

Options
  • 09-01-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Hi

Which taxi company is reliable & reasonably priced?
    Please give me their phone number also.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hi

Which taxi company is reliable & reasonably priced?
    Please give me their phone number also.

Many thanks

Find Premier Taxis very good, 051 373373. Always clean, newish cars used

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks.

Is the price same irrespective of the taxi company? I found Rapid Cabs just now. Is it good too?
    thomasm wrote: »
    Find Premier Taxis very good, 051 373373. Always clean, newish cars used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Thanks.

Is the price same irrespective of the taxi company? I found Rapid Cabs just now. Is it good too?

The cleanliness and and time keeping and condition of the cars of Premiere is second to none

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Have to say Waterford city Hackneys are the best. They never let me down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Use City Hackney myself but the last 2 times i used them they tried to over charge me. Just make sure you get a Irish Driver as they will not make up the prices like there other drivers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Use City Hackney myself but the last 2 times i used them they tried to over charge me. Just make sure you get a Irish Driver as they will not make up the prices like there other drivers :rolleyes:

The driver should carry a price list. I drive a Hackney and am obliged to carry a price list.

jca wrote: »
    The driver should carry a price list. I drive a Hackney and am obliged to carry a price list.

I always ask for the price on the phone EG 7 euros. But the other drivers (Not the irish ones) when you can see 7 euros on his meter turns around to you and asks for 12 euros and then he makes up reasons why its €12. Then i told him the office told me it was €7 and he then gives me a dirty look and charges me €7 then.

Well I would prefer a metered taxi instead of Hackney then.

I always ask for the price on the phone EG 7 euros. But the other drivers (Not the irish ones) when you can see 7 euros on his meter turns around to you and asks for 12 euros and then he makes up reasons why its €12. Then i told him the office told me it was €7 and he then gives me a dirty look and charges me €7 then.

If the car has a meter it isn't a Hackney its a Taxi.

jca wrote: »
    If the car has a meter it isn't a Hackney its a Taxi.

Its not really a meter its a small thing like a sat nav witch my name, address, place i am going to go and cost on it

No idea what it is ?

• Advertisement

Its not really a meter its a small thing like a sat nav witch my name, address, place i am going to go and cost on it

No idea what it is ?

It's a data head. The base sends calls out to the drivers via these.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's no need for the racism.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

I always ask for the price on the phone EG 7 euros. .

A couple of years ago when I was ordering a taxi to bring the babysitter home I was told they could not give me a price as they said they did not know what the meter would be.thought that was ridiculous at the time.

aziz wrote: »
    A couple of years ago when I was ordering a taxi to bring the babysitter home I was told they could not give me a price as they said they did not know what the meter would be.thought that was ridiculous at the time.

That would be correct if the vehicle was a Taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

+1 for rapid cabs. Always on time, always friendly drivers (in my experience) and for the most part good prices! Can't fault them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnotherUserID

The Hackney in Bally beg are great. Cheapest around and the lads are great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

no need for sensationalism (or shouting) either ;), probably a case of xenophobia rather than racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I first met the guys from Premier when I was working in a hotel in Waterford and I'm glad to see they're still going. Their cars are clean, drivers sociable and easy to talk to and if they say they'll be there at a time, they'll be there. Would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

If you think you are being overcharged, ask for a receipt. The price often magically goes back down to what it should be!

I'd also recommend Rapid Cabs and Premier.
    I've had bad experiences with 877710 and try to avoid them now.

So i get told for saying the facts that I am a racist ?

Even from a taxi rank we have been charged a good bit. We stopped for about 2 min one night and got €2 added to the trip.

But Taxi prices are shocking in waterford a mini bus with 6 people will cost you €12 euros while a taxi with 2 will cost €10 euros still don't get the way taxis work out there prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The Hackney in Bally beg are great. Cheapest around and the lads are great

+1
    Never had a problem with these..

Masterboy123 ,if I was you I'd get to know one or two taxi drivers around and when you find one you like, ask for his mobile No.
    That's what a lot of people do around here ,Most times you'll find the drivers will work out off the meter rates for their own personal customers..

I called Premier taxi today. It was 7 euros for 2 persons from Aldi (The Glen) to People's park. I think thats the normal price, isnt it?

Going to bring this up again over the cost of Taxis in waterford

Was heading into town in a minibus there this week and there was 8 of us in the Taxi and your one wonted €3 each of us witch would have made it €24 for 2KM witch is nuts.

If they get 10 of them in a night thats nearly €150 profit per night nuts :eek:

Taxis in Waterford are nuts for how much they are charging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

So i get told for saying the facts that I am a racist ?

Well of course you are for saying this. You are saying that all Irish drivers are honest and all non Irish are not. Clearly thats not a fact but rubbish and its racist, yes. Sorry if thats considered backseat modding.
    Even from a taxi rank we have been charged a good bit. We stopped for about 2 min one night and got €2 added to the trip.

But Taxi prices are shocking in waterford a mini bus with 6 people will cost you €12 euros while a taxi with 2 will cost €10 euros still don't get the way taxis work out there prices

Erm its not that difficult to understand really. You will be charged on distance travelled. After that there may be small add-ons like stops, call-out, maybe waiting time, etc but mostly its distance travelled. So the taxi with 2 travelled more or less the same distance as the minibus I guess?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well of course you are for saying this. You are saying that all Irish drivers are honest and all non Irish are not. Clearly thats rubbish and its racist, yes. Sorry if thats considered backseat modding.

Well in my acc non Irish Drivers are more likely to over charge. To make it worse i am only 1/2 Irish myself :rolleyes:

Erm its not that difficult to understand really. You will be charged on distance travelled. After that there may be small add-ons like stops, call-out, maybe waiting time, etc but mostly its distance travelled. So the taxi with 2 travelled more or less the same distance as the minibus I guess?

Well There was no call outs or waiting times with the 1st dear taxi

While the 2nd one there was a waiting time of about 2 mins outside the house. They also dont charge call out fees. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well There was no call outs or waiting times with the 1st dear taxi

While the 2nd one there was a waiting time of about 2 mins outside the house. They also dont charge call out fees. :rolleyes:

I don't know what happened on those particular nights but thats how taxi meters work. Distance travelled (mostly)
    Hackneys don't have meters so the price is being negotiated.
    A minibus doesn't get extra money. Its just that they can transport bigger parties which some drivers think will give them an edge over saloon taxis when securing a fare. But then some people don't like minibus or people carrier taxis so I don't know how real that edge is.

A quick google bringing me to citizensinformation.ie reveals this:
    The National Maximum Taxi Fare consists of 3 separate parts:

Initial charge: amount which appears on the meter at the beginning of the journey. The national initial charge is €4.10 standard rate and €4.45 premium rate and includes an initial distance of 1km, or a period of 170 seconds.
    Further travel: after the distance/time included in the initial charge has been exceeded, the fare for further travel is calculated at small portions of the journey. At low speeds, or when a taxi is stationary, the fare is calculated on the basis of time. Once the taxi exceeds a certain speed, the fare is then calculated according to the distance travelled using three graduated tariffs.
    Extra charge: there are strict rules about extra charges that can be levied. These include a booking fee, additional passenger charges and a soiling charge.

Hope that clears that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I've had bad experiences with 877710 and try to avoid them now.

Ditto. Tried them twice, they were late the first time and the second time the driver nearly knocked down someone after running a red light.

Advertisement