Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitzgibbon Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lash go leor

Never said I saw him play at full back I know where he plays my club is a few miles over the road from him. Any 50/50 ball that went in on him and Guiney he played the man not the ball. Pushing in the back, digging when the ball was in the air, holding his hurl, walking on his toes, holding him before the ball came in. Guiney was only trying to shake him he's definitely not the player to go looking for it, he's more of a laid back play the game type player. Still the apple dosent fall far from the tree if he's a Guiney at all he is will capable of defending himself. Sheehan played an effective bully role but if the ball had of come in more consistently to that UCD full forward line I feel it could have been a different game. I saw Guiney play for UCD last year and the same bully tactics were adopted by the full back and he answered it by burying the ball in the net. On another note Jason fordes point in the first half was sublime he's a lovely stick man! UL have a sweet team but UCC still the team to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Never said I saw him play at full back I know where he plays my club is a few miles over the road from him. Any 50/50 ball that went in on him and Guiney he played the man not the ball. Pushing in the back, digging when the ball was in the air, holding his hurl, walking on his toes, holding him before the ball came in. Guiney was only trying to shake him he's definitely not the player to go looking for it, he's more of a laid back play the game type player. Still the apple dosent fall far from the tree if he's a Guiney at all he is will capable of defending himself. Sheehan played an effective bully role but if the ball had of come in more consistently to that UCD full forward line I feel it could have been a different game. I saw Guiney play for UCD last year and the same bully tactics were adopted by the full back and he answered it by burying the ball in the net. On another note Jason fordes point in the first half was sublime he's a lovely stick man! UL have a sweet team but UCC still the team to beat
    Wasnt full back exactly what I said I judged him at?did I mention any other 14 positions no,i did not.

So you judge a guy on one game at fullback ,on one one of the games best young forwards ,and despite holding hes own.You never saw him as a full back up to yesterday.

I am the same but I said judge him in more games.

I never menitoned any other poistion for him.just because he isnt intercounty elsewhere doesnt mean he aint a 3.

Is that not the role of a full back to bully your opponent.Name me a full back who didnt bully hes man that won an all ireland the last 20 years.

Bobby ryan,curran,ger cushe,rock,lohan,hickey ,mclirney hardly a choir group?

You have just totally contradicted yourself.Guiney is well capable of defending himself,but ,hes an angel .Dont spout rubbish,he didnt go looking for it.

Why in the name of jesus did they put him back at 14 after being outplayed by sheehan as soon as he got the card?

To wind up and provoke sheehan.It takes two to tango.He was getting it rough,and like harnedy last year in the replay,only so much you take,if ref wont protect you ,you protect yourself.

Ifs and buts are all well and good,fact is guiney was held by sheehan.

As I said,i dont mean start him,but would watch him in a few games.Lohan sees something in him to play him there,ul arent short options,so he is doing okay.

Yes forde was superb,a fine hurler ,and yes I agree a sweet hurler,so sweet he left a trail of sugar lumps after him,every time he dazzled the ptich and scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I was at the DIT match and here's my match report for anyone interested:

http://www.mixcloud.com/DCUfmSport/fitzgibbon-cup-dit-vs-nui-galway-match-report/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Would have thought most hurling followers would recognise David Treacy! Well done on reporting the true nature of that potentially wonderful full back. Sounds like he may be in the Shane O'Neill mould! In case we need reminding, O'Neill should have got his walking papers in two games last summer. Mind you he got his just desserts from Shane O'Donnell when he realised he was on the refs radar! Bullies need to be tackled in all walks of life - including here!

You make me laugh with the greatest respect.You come out with an an opionion of two games the last few games you were never even at.You were fast enough to comment on chriost ri ,just to get a reaction in the cork thread the last day,implying it was one rule for us etc and another for anyone else when the circumstances were not just the black card.

There is a lot of geuine cork fans that know right from wrong.I like may were against us getting promoted to div 1b of the field of play.Nobody wants cork to be different in rules.You just have an agenda against cork and use every opportunity to snipe at them,like a magpie waiting to pounce.

When someone contradicts you ,you dont like it.Nobody bullies anyone here,a point can be debated.When some one tells you ,you werent at a match you were,its normal to get a response,which I what I did.The other lad,and credit due ,a geuine hurling lad,said he only saw sheehan at full back once in the end.I clearly said -sheehan may not be intercounty but must be monitored.I simply questioned the orignal point ,that he said it he saw sheehan lots of times play ,and I said it couldnt have been full back as he never played there much.
    And that point was then acknowledged.

I was watching sheehan as a full back only.Cork have lots of options elsewhere.For a man that is fast to remind us shane o neill had an awful final,then you know thats corks main aera of weakness.

You have an agenda since june against cork ,constanly sniping at them.I have far too much respect for kilkenny to get in to rift ,raft with you but ,yere hardly angels in fairness,jackie tyrell throwing a hurl at corbett 2010.I have always said was huge huge fan of tommy walsh.In cork,the mercy last year doing charity work.A nice lad.But take of the blinkers,no angel on the field.Ye got beaten last year,fair and square,get over it .2014 new season.Ye have every reason to look forward not back.

Nobody said james gahan was great ,yet you seem to think he was ,a match you never even saw.If you want to bluff to an opinon you will be found out.

I have nothing against the kilkenny lad but my point is ,not to read too much in to it,as lehane is not a full forward.

I never got carried away with sheehan.for a lad played centre back and centre forward normally he was good ,and also guiney is an intercounty full forward.

Majoirty of kk fans go to games and debate.Shame you couldnt do a report on yere good win yesterday ,oh yeah you didnt go but you got to wait and read the newspaper ,get a report and then use second hand info ,and bluff your way through as a expert.You rather wind up Cork fans particulary with snide remarks .

But when you are not at a match you can hardly judge now surely.
    And lad,with helmets not everyone is recognisable as everyone else.

When you go to a match,i gladly debate a point with you.I aint going to waste my time ,as you clearly with digs on o neill,have no agenda in talking fitzgibbon cup ,just use it as a means apainst. CORK

You fool no one.In the leauge revamp thread,you used that as a tool against cork and clearly are anti cork,and like I said majority of us didnt want to go up to the top division.You ,discredited JBM,as being ovrerated ,despite winning an all ireland in 99 with a new team,and against all the odds getting us with a depeleted squad and the worst wise for depth to an all ireland and take the champions to a replay.

No wonder, you have bee in bonnett against one of the most widely accepted genlteman there is in the game and a winner ,is the fact twise JBM has ended yere championship,twice when ye were overwhelming favourites ,and the only man to beat cody twice in championship.You should not be so pity.Kilkenny ,credit due have nothing but respect for jbm ,and Cody leads that .

Cody has beaten cork 4 times and two league finals,yet cork people regard him as one of the greatest managers ever .Most cork dont do small minded.Yes we have different views but dont use everything as a tool to berate cork.

I was geuine enough to say paudric walsh was excellent.I wasnt anti kilkenny for the sake of it.Id say if you took the emotion away ,when you judge cork,you would be a good judge ,in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Wasting your time thinkstoomuch, the greatest irony here was he tried to say "you must allow for bias in the reporting".

Same fella that was looking for a yellow card for Fergal Moore when he was taken off in the league semi final last year, while every decent person was just hoping the poor lad was alright.

Wouldn't mind now if this thread stayed on the topic of Fitzgibbon cup, and any grievances between counties be taken elsewhere.

Fair point mountain lad.My apologies.You credit due started a great thread here,so we keep it hurling.I wont enagage with him again and waste my time.

Fair point mountain lad.My apologies.You credit due started a great thread here,so we keep it hurling.I wont enagage with him again and waste my time.

Good. Even your fellow brethren on the Cork thread have called your bluff. I'll back off now as you have enough to contend with with your own. This is the Fitzgibbon thread, if you want to write gospels about Cork players do it on the Cork thread. We don't care if Lehane was been played out of position or such like. I have the utmost respect for JBM, after all he got rid of the bitter contingent that stunted Cork hurling for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How did this weeks games go? Who looking like likely finalists/make finals weekend?

• Advertisement

How did this weeks games go? Who looking like likely finalists/make finals weekend?

UCC gave IT Carlow a bit of a trimming there 1-24 -0-14. Best for UCC were James Barry and Conor Lehane.

Carlow stayed with them for about 25 minutes but then UCC's supremacy began to show. Id imagine UCC and WIT will advance from that group. WIT apparently put St Pats of Drumcondra to the sword earlier?

Who got the goal tipp Gunner ..any Cork lads like lester,sugrue,spillane play?
    How was cormac murphy and rob o shea

Forde was class for ul today.
    Yere match with clare is in the gaelic grounds now.ye would be happy with that .

Who got the goal tipp Gunner ..any Cork lads like lester,sugrue,spillane play?
    How was cormac murphy and rob o shea

Forde was class for ul today.
    Yere match with clare is in the gaelic grounds now.ye would be happy with that .

I actually went back to the IT library before the goal so wont know until i see the match report but here is the UCC team. Dont think Lester Sugrue, etc were playing. Murphy full back line for UCC had little to do as nothing really went into the Carlow forwards.

https://twitter.com/DCUfmSport/status/431498033323573248/photo/1

Wasnt really familiar with alot of the lads apart from Barry and Lehane for UCC and Kenny for ITCarlow but i recognised one or two familar names on the panel including one Shane O'Donnell.

As for the WC final tomorrow night i'm pretty much indifferent to it. Its pretty much a warm up game that we can take little from in defeat or victory.

Sound for that.Id say they will be a bit of bite to it as tipp and clare games have.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Cunning plan by UCC to play with two number 3s and no 7!

What the story for the Semi finals if teams get there ,is it pre-determined or an open draw?

• Advertisement

What the story for the Semi finals if teams get there ,is it pre-determined or an open draw?

I'd imagine if you finish first in a group you'll play a second place team from another and vice versa

Cunning plan by UCC to play with two number 3s and no 7!

Hadn't copped that. Really? Red numbers hard to to make out on the ucc shirts

That the q final set up but the semi im unsure

Sound for that

That the q final set up but the semi im unsure

Sound for that

Sorry your right. Not sure what the setup is tbh. Open draw I'd imagine

Hadn't copped that. Really? Red numbers hard to to make out on the ucc shirts

Typos on the programme, I'd imagine no probs on the pitch. The red numbers on white background are silly because the white background (with black numbers) was only introduced a few years ago to hark back to the old days, so having them red makes little sense

• Advertisement

Who got the goal tipp gunner?

Lehane. I was the bloke tweeting for DCUfm in the link Tipp Gunner provided.

Lehane scored 1-12 in the end.

Sound Andy great work by the way

Tuesday 18 Feb 2014
    Irish Daily Mail HE GAA Fitzgibbon Cup 2014 KO
    Quarter Finals
    TBC
    Winner A
    V
    Runner Up B
    More Info
    TBC
    Winner B
    V
    Runner Up C
    TBC
    Winner C
    V
    Runner Up D
    More Info
    TBC
    Winner D
    V
    Runner Up A
    More Info

Group A: UCC, WIT, IT Carlow, St Pats
    Group B: UL, UCD, Mary I
    Group C: CIT, LIT, GMIT
    Group D: NUIG, DCU, DIT

Grats wrote: »
    Tuesday 18 Feb 2014
    Irish Daily Mail HE GAA Fitzgibbon Cup 2014 KO
    Quarter Finals
    TBC
    Winner A
    V
    Runner Up B
    More Info
    TBC
    Winner B
    V
    Runner Up C
    TBC
    Winner C
    V
    Runner Up D
    More Info
    TBC
    Winner D
    V
    Runner Up A
    More Info

Group A: UCC, WIT, IT Carlow, St Pats
    Group B: UL, UCD, Mary I
    Group C: CIT, LIT, GMIT
    Group D: NUIG, DCU, DIT

IT Carlow have to play WIT now if they wish to advance. If it was at home they might have a chance but away could be difficult. I cant help feeling the IT had too much respect for UCC ( perhaps it was just) the other night. There was plenty of space to play the ball but the IT backs sort of panicked and seemed to have cleared it anywhere. The quick forwards for UCC gave them plenty of bother. Conor Kenny at the other end was starved of a ball. Who did look good for them was the number 10 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Is Darragh Fives still in ucc?

He is, but he's injured at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

how much in are the Fitzgibbon cup matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Free i'd imagine for the earlier rounds. Never payed into a Sigerson/Trench/Fitzgibbon game before Semi-Final stage, as they usually are in the colleges.

The Semi-Finals/Finals you pay about 10e for.

deadybai wrote: »
    how much in are the Fitzgibbon cup matches?

I didnt pay anything (nor did i see anyone collecting at the gate) to see IT Carlow v UCC the other night anyhow but it could vary around the country.

Yeah its only the knockout games charge.You normally pay a euro for the match programme if you want one.

• Advertisement

Quarter Finals:

UL vs LIT
    UCC vs UCD
    DIT vs WIT
    CIT vs NUIG

Reckon from what I've seen and heard that UL, UCC, WIT and CIT will go through. DIT and NUIG having seen both play are nothing special. UL and UCC will be just too good for their opponants imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

He like I said done okay but lehane is no full forward.

clear as day shane o neill isnt a full back.

Yes he done good,id expect that at least against a lad played in hes weakest position.And he deserves credit.To say he was great is out of perspective.

Just spotted the comments re UCC v WIT and I have to make this point:

Gahan has never played full back, whether for club or county.
    He is a half back/midfielder.

Just to put a bit of perspective on things.

Just spotted the comments re UCC v WIT and I have to make this point:

Gahan has never played full back, whether for club or county.
    He is a half back/midfielder.

Just to put a bit of perspective on things.

I had done some delving on Gahan and could see where he only ever did line out at half back or midfield with school or club, as you posted.

Lit 12 to ul1-8 forde great goal and point of a sideline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Live updates here if anyone wants to follow along:

http://www.livegaelic.com/scores/

Lit by 2

Kelly great goal 6 points lit look good nw

Philp lvors blistering goal 7 point7 now lit ha8e it won

I do a report later bv davy fitz outiougi lohan and he had cyril farell helping him on the lind.

Big shock.they play wit next

Fraggie murphy selector lit also.

Seanie o brien limerick lit straigt red and a correct call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Seanie o brien limerick lit straigt red and a correct call.

Did you see what it was for?

Of the ball had to go and he was having superb man

Slap in to the stomach with the hurley.d

Cit won ,so cit v ucc
    Lit v wit

Lit are limited bv davy is superb coach lit played clarf way and had two man full forward line

I do a report later but he would be fav to outfox bonnar of wit

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Cit won ,so cit v ucc
    Lit v wit

Lit are limited bv davy is superb coach lit played clarf way and had two man full forward line

I do a report later but he would be fav to outfox bonnar of wit

Would you ever spell properly, or at least re read them before you post. Pissing me off trying to decript them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Presume he's on his phone and doing us all a favour with the updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Big shock there... on paper, UL really should have been winning that. Not that LIT don't have some very good players, they clearly do... but Collins, Walsh, Forde, 2 Ryans, Flanagan, Heffernan, Glynn, Morey.... some top players there.

How did Barry O'Connell, Dan Morrissey and Alan Dempsey get on?

If you backed LIT... some nice money to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Would you ever spell properly, or at least re read them before you post. Pissing me off trying to decript them!

Yeah he owes you that much after all you've done for him.

Lit v ul ptich 1 grass ptich in excellent condition despite all the heavy rain,shock of the round in the margin of victory as Lit won 2-16 to ul 1-13 truth be told ,lit work every point of there win ,as they a fine hurlers in key aeras,no where near ul strength of team or panel wise yet they won as they had Hugnger,raw f**cking hunger that does Davy well known cliche but cant be underestimated*fight like dogs and they had a direction and purope and abilty but Real intent all over the ptich.

Ul,eoin brislane is a fine coach,i think he is the main man and not lohan as again like two other ul games i saw  ,is the man up and down the sideline ,roaring instructinns.Lohan is the manager on paper,id love to be a fly on the wall ,know what hes role is .Either way ,the clare man and tipp man were outfoxed and outhought by Davy(a genuis ).

Davy of often gets unwarranted abuse thats .ges a dictator ,what a stupid myth,lads that say that wouldnt know a sliother from a tennis ball,if hit them in the nose,bounced back up and them hit them in the eyes again .

Hes the man commander but he surrounds hes teams with lietantants better than most managers at intercouy teams.
    He was in the middle of the ptich today,eyes glazed,across the ptich,fixated on hes team,every breath he took,hes mind constantly watching every play,like a computer running various programs at the same time.
    Two weeks ago even before lit were set to get to a q final davy was at ul ist group game v ucd,i posted here he was at it.He had belief ,lit would get that far,but knew ul were the main danger,he always sees the bigger picture and had hes homework well and truly done.Have no doubt he has hes homework done on wit ,and is planning how to beat them no.He wont wait.

Whats makes davy stand out unlike some spoofers he can read a game,adapt to its everchanging flow.

He had jimmy browne ,clare u21 teams ,minor etc,ard scoil fame(a man huge input in Ard scoil success and sure to be gaelic grounds saturday harty cup final)
    Was up on one side of the ptich roaring at forwards .

Cyril farell bottom left corner doing the same with foswards ,keeping shape,encouraging and give a bolloking when approriate.Cyril is a gentleman,loves cork hurling,on the field ruthless and shrewd.
    Saoirse buffin and fraggie murphy stood by davy ,ready to do what he said to do.What a management set up.Fraggie is the pretender,the raw recruit,learning from the masters,what a set up to in ,2 intercounty all ireland winning men and browne an astute man with bags of expierence.

This is great for fragggie and for Cork,as he will improve under davy ,and hopefully can addd to Cork with coaching sars or maybee an intercounty minor team etc,and hes tranisiton like paudi kissane should be monitored by the County board.

You see coaches can go to all the seminars ,get all degrees in sport science but not worth the paper its written on ,if they dont get real expierence of the best.It is only he who wears the shoe knows exactly how it fits.This expierence fraggie is getting,money couldnt buy.

Davy had lit ,playing the clare system,two man full forward line,half forwards,dropping back to midfied and the he half back line having a sweeper.Lohan as a clare many very naive never countered it ,hit long ball after ball down to lit ,who it was meat and drink to them.as ul had all the star players ,but couldnt do anything as they got no ball for any long periods with a huge wind 2ndt half .went in 10 to 6 down at half time ,and in the 1st half it was the same.

Ul had the all star players,lit had the all star management team.

Lit from the 1st minute the ball was thrown in were intense hunted in a packs,like wolves,any ball they had was short crisp passing.

Jack sheehan had a good game,but in truth wasnt tested today as jamie shanahan who started instead of hickex droped to half forward.The odd time he stayed at 14.He picked up a lot of loose ball,had good cleasances ,but clare wanted him to do that.Half back line of flaherty,dempsey of limerick,and boyce ,clare hurled ball after ball.O connell played super at midfield,just beyond half back,with kelly dropping deep and picking of long range points ,at ease ,and walsh got two of kikenny ,but was allowed space  as he couldnt get through that half back line ,congested middle third.Again not afraid to hit hard,and had to be warned by the referee once,wasnt poor,everything he done he was composed and assured,id like to see more of him,but what i have seen so far i rate him better than ellis and white,playing out of poistion,he looks at home at this level.
    Was replaced but that was due to ,carmody pushing up and with the two ryans run at lit .gand trying to get ball beyond that half back fortress of lit ,when they needed to get ball in to forde and glynn who had more than the beating of lit unit

Podge collins knows now why clare win matches as today at 11 he was victim of that style,had no space or ball,as seanie o brien man of the match,in a sweeper bulger role,from half forward.ryan of limerck and ryan of clare were surerb bv again any ball down to heffaranen or glynn who had a crucial  miss at a time down by 5 one one win murphy the limerick keeper he kicked wide,twas easier put in it.Murphy was injured for 5 mintues in the challenge much to every fans relief he rose again and was fine.
    Seanda morey and carmody two intercounty lads came on ,but morey did make an improvement,in the congested middle third,but too little too late.carmody came on for sheeahan and pushed up further,too late again as lit had a lead that they could allow ul get points,just dont let them get goals and they swamped the full back line,no way through.

Forde got a super goal out by the right corner ,start second half ,a blistering bullet, then a super sideline ball to level i .ghad o gorman in in real trouble ,but didnt get enough ball,as o connell dropped deeped as a buffer and intercepted ball afer ball,if o brien hadnt done it before him ,and fed kelly who was like a sniper ready to kill ul of at any chance.He fed shanahan when the need arose and they fed ivors for a splendid pile driver to bury ul.

Kelly moments earlier ran in from deep took a pass by the sideline and lobbed a glorious deft lob,hasset hadnt a chance.Kelly had a poor game sunday,like all great players wont have two in a row .Awesome,a beautfiul ,such a sweet goal it was covered in poise and elgancey ,like Jiselle strutting herself on the stage ,every man in awe.Today it was kelly stage ,four wonderful poins and a wonderful goal from play and So Much More,every man,woman and child,that were blessed to be here  in the crowd of around 600 or so,had the grace to watch hurler of the year by 2,and all for just cost of 1 euro magnificent.Thank you lord for giving us hurlers of kelly artistry and sheer intelligence and skill.Amen.

O BRIENwas stupid,to slap the hurley in to the ul lad stomach ,as lit had the game well and truly won at that stage ,and now is out for a month for lit and limerick,and a huge huge blow to lit,if they play ucc in the final.Complete madness ,lit fans even said it.Theres controlled aggression ,and then theres that .Kirwan the Cork referee had no choice but to send him off.

Dan morrisey ul cb destroyed begley hes fellow county man,and ryan of clare was good,problem was that half back line stood still in that it never moved deep with their memd and lit played short tappy hurleyand played around them rather than through them,davy way in a nutshell.

Browne and flanagen played well but when lit played the short game ,and had overlaps it created two brillant goals by ivers and kelly.

Uls indivaulds didnt play as well as they could or simply allowed to play ,and had a lot of wides but lit with less talent won with a better system of play that suffocated the life out of ul ,and it was system shut down for them .

Lit should beat wit ,o brien a huge loss and ucc who i expect to beat cit would have more talent and a bench than lit but it will be won and lost on the sideline if they meet.Study old clare games as that exactly lit way to play.Unlike Clare they  dont have the players for a plan A and B.Today the sweeper system is there only system.

Lit i feel would have a system to beat wit.
    If they get to final,it will play right in to davy hands if its ucc,as noboddy gives them a hope.A ul member to day said they might as well hand ucc the cup,as they will walk it now and lit if they make it wont have a chance.Lit were 6 to 1 to win and a 9 poing handpicap.I thought ul would win but said it would be very close.

If you play 15 v 15 or all hurlers and lads that arent up or willing to fight or have intensity against lit youre in big big trouble.Also like Clare,and Donegal you cant let them start well,and chase a lead,as there system is set up to blitz you with the 1st 20 minutes ,then defend in numbers and counter at pace.If a team gets a lead,the whole dynamcis change ,as you can play there game,protect the lead,force them to come out and play an orthdox game they just dont have the forwards or players to play.
    Brian o reilly ,cork shanballymore is on the paneal and a fine club player but thats it.Hes on the lit panel,like others show they dont have a panel of real depth.

You must have a system as lit swarm like bees around honey the middle third,and Kelly is the main man to link that defence system in to attack as he has the skill ,intellgence to create,but the artillery to score.Lit are very like clare,easier to beat the right play,system as unlike Clare Lit just have kelly,they have very good players but none like collins,ryan,o donnell,galvin ,bulger,donellan etc and that
    .You must double mark Kelly.Put your best man marker on him but another lad in midfield and hes only role is if kelly breaks hes marker,you there to stop him.Yes you leave space for other lit lads but there not proflic scorers from distance kelly is.

Full back line of o gorman,minehan,nolan are exposable one on one.

I named the ucc team on the cork thread picked to beat ul should they win,i would stick with that team,but would start cormac murphy at 9,but get him to play a sweeper at half back ,and he has played there.

O shea needs to play deep just ahead of half back with harnedy and lehane rotating and going to midfield to get the ball and either run at the clare defence ,create the off load,or keep the full forward line of o donnell and cadogan as far up as they can be to the lit goal,and fast long deliveries as there is goals there ,but you can only get goals if you have possesion.
    O donneall ,davys most potent weapon could be hes biggest enemy.

To beat Lit ,you wont out hurl them ,ul tried that today ,you must breat down that system ,and it takes not tappy fast wrist hurlers,it takes resilent,strong,brave,and warriors that will win the hard ball .Ucc do that and they would win if ucc and wit  as they have forwards that can score and should be fresher in that they can play a lot of guys that should have enough to beat cit,but keep there big men fresh for the final.Lit dont have that luxury,as they dont have big panel ,and play at such an intensitys it is very hard to replicate that within a 24 hour turnaround.

I said today would be close ,thought ul would win,but the sideline froze.

Enright,cody,casey have to be sharper.Was gutted had to miss cit game,but wanted to check out the enemy in wait .glad i went here,as it was a great game.

Another College game tommorrow,ul v ucc qater final fresher A 1.30 ul north campus, it should be a classic and Ul be up to atone for today with the younger stars.If i make it up from cork may go.two corkmen with that ul team tommorrow as far as im aware.

I wasnt the only cork man that would have liked to be in cit game,i see john cronin of lisgold and cit,who played for cit today, father at ul game,putting up the scoreboard.Real hurling men.

Great day for hurling.Arent we blessed as people to have Hurling such a wonderful,truly wonderful game.
    i posted a picture of both panels in the fitzgibbon cup hread,with updates i posted throughout the game.

Sent sorry bt delay just back cork a bit

shoddy14 wrote: »

Others dont have a problem,dont read them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

I find your match reports painful to read. It is not too difficult to write in proper English with proper punctuation. The comments are like a collection of one liners you would hear from an oul fella at a match.

You obviously passionate and knowledgable about hurling so it's a shame that readers have to plough through your posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement