Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitzgibbon Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

6 of the starting 15 were from outside of Cork though AFAIK ;)

Sound, about the same as the amount of players outside Limerick on Ard Scoil Harty Cup team AFAIK..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Ul Gary kirby coach

No programmes ,the teams from what i could see
    paul maher
    Troy kilkenny
    dave mccarthy clare
    James carrig limerick
    5?
    Gearoid ryan clare
    Aidan mcguahan 7 ul

John mcgrath ul 8
    9?
    10 donal dywer
    11 emmet nolan offaly
    12 Jack shelley
    13 ryan limerick
    14 stephan bennett
    15 shane donelly
    Fergal horgan tipp ref

Ger cunnigham cork ucc coach

Ucc
    1?
    Higgins
    Kieran histon
    Fionn o sullivan
    Higins
    Tadhg o bourke
    Hegarty
    Motherway
    Tom devine
    Mark mcgaughan
    Eoin fitzell (20)michael breen was injured didnt start
    Rickard cahalane
    Anthony spillane
    Dj foran
    Philip lucey kerry

H time 2-8 to 1-9 in favour ul
    Full time 4-14 ul to ucc 2-19

Fergal horgan tipp referee

Donelly hat trick and stephen bennett goals ul ,nolan and ryan got some great scores with bennett scoring a goal and 6 around
    John mcgrath two great points

Troy ,mcgauhan, and james carrig my man of the match was unreal ,mcgrath,donnelly and bennettand nolan having great games

Ucc had great games from tadhg o bourke superb and majestic at 6,with hegarthy having a fine game,
    And tom devine hurling loads of ball at midfield.those had a huge influence in ucc going from 7 down to 1 ahead in the second half.

Mcghaun worked hard with cahalane getting good points and fitzell having good moments at times.
    Lucey had a great game when he got ball but he didnt get enough of it.

Dj foran was there best forward,winning loads of clean aerial ball,scoring two great goals and laying of a lot of ball,and created a lot.

A classic high quality game played at a breathing taking pace and tempo a draw would have been a fair result but ul are a brillant team-and well coached like ucc were.They play carlow in the semifinal next week.coached by dempsey the Kilkenny selector.

How did Jack Shelly play? He was unlucky with injuries last year as far as I know, but always seemed like a good ball winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ul v ucc freshers quater final North campus UL.

Ompala wrote: »
    How did Jack Shelly play? He was unlucky with injuries last year as far as I know, but always seemed like a good ball winner

Wasnt great,in the second half well out of it.

Seemed yards away from the ball at times.

You say he was injured so be fair to lad its understanable he was off a bit

6 clare lads started against hamilton at the harty cup game i was at.
    Two o loughlins,crehan,fitzpatrick,morey ,galvin are the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Again lad's and ladies if some of ye have a problem with Thinkstoomuch's posts then just don't read them.To be fair Ciarrai Abu and Mick Mackey 1 were polite in their posts and that's fair enough but i would describe the carry on from Shoddy 14 as a form of bullying and i have to say that i find it hilarious that he tries to act as if he is the one being victimized!That's the last im saying on this thread about this matter.Just read Thinkstoomuch's posts or don't bother reading them but please stop trying to make him feel uncomfortable about his posting style.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Again lad's and ladies if some of ye have a problem with Thinkstoomuch's posts then just don't read them.To be fair Ciarrai Abu and Mick Mackey 1 were polite in their posts and that's fair enough but i would describe the carry on from Shoddy 14 as a form of bullying and i have to say that i find it hilarious that he tries to act as if he is the one being victimized!That's the last im saying on this thread about this matter.Just read Thinkstoomuch's posts or don't bother reading them but please stop trying to make him feel uncomfortable about his posting style.

Can you not leave sleeping dogs lie? The matter had come to a conclusion but youd have to raise it again wouldnt you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Wasnt great,in the second half well out of it.

Seemed yards away from the ball at times.

You say he was injured so be fair to lad its understanable he was off a bit

Cheers, back when tipp won the minor in 2012 he seemed central in the play, never scored the most or anything but always well stuck in and fought hard, something Tipp need badly!! Think it was his cruciate but could be wrong on that.

Cheers, back when tipp won the minor in 2012 he seemed central in the play, never scored the most or anything but always well stuck in and fought hard, something Tipp need badly!! Think it was his cruciate but could be wrong on that.

Fitzell tipp man looked decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭big_drive

Hard to see UCC beaten in this competition. The quality of their subs might make the difference. Don't think CIT are in the same class as them really, could see UCC having it handy enough in the semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Mala scoile-there was no programmes for such a great game the only negative

Im not hundred per sure to be honest think he was at midfield
    If its the lad i think it was he done okay

Hes castlelyons yeah?

Yeah thats him, blue helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

3ships wrote: »
    Sound, about the same as the amount of players outside Limerick on Ard Scoil Harty Cup team AFAIK..

Indeed, not sure what you point is though?

Yeah did his cruicate playing with Mullinahone, been back a good while now but doesnt seem the same player at all, real pity looked like a star in the making.

Indeed, not sure what you point is though?

If a Harty Cup win for Ard Scoil counts as a trophy for Limerick,
    then the Fitzgibbon counts as a trophy for Cork is the arguement. A Doon win would be different of course. This thread was used to point out a lack of silverware for Cork so I made the example, exact or not.

The Harty cup has provided a platform for Limerick and indeed Waterford recently but if you were to wonder why a county with no underage titles gets as close as Cork to winning the All Ireland then the Fitzgibbon Cup has been their platform. The Fitzgibbon Cup is supposed to be the level between U-21 and senior and the Cork lads are doing ok at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Hard to look beyond An Cholaiste to win it out. CIT have always been the red headed step child in Cork. They've been close, and might win the odd league game against UCC but never do it when it counts. LIT i think will be the dark horses. They'll have the bit between their teeth after the UL game and Davy will be on a high going up there. Still though, with Lehane back to full fitness hopefully, and Harnedy getting a few mins for Cork last week, and getting a bit of game time against Laois you'd have to be mad to bet against them.

If a Harty Cup win for Ard Scoil counts as a trophy for Limerick,
    then the Fitzgibbon counts as a trophy for Cork is the arguement. A Doon win would be different of course. This thread was used to point out a lack of silverware for Cork so I made the example, exact or not.

The Harty cup has provided a platform for Limerick and indeed Waterford recently but if you were to wonder why a county with no underage titles gets as close as Cork to winning the All Ireland then the Fitzgibbon Cup has been their platform. The Fitzgibbon Cup is supposed to be the level between U-21 and senior and the Cork lads are doing ok at it.

Firstly you picked one team out of a list of successful Limerick ones choosing to ignore the others, and secondly your last sentence - you just made that up right??

Firstly you picked one team out of a list of successful Limerick ones choosing to ignore the others, and secondly your last sentence - you just made that up right??

I am not ignoring Limerick, I am just not ignoring Cork. If you what me to praise Limerick I can. I expect last years great Munster success to be improved upon this year by at least one Limerick team. On the second part I believe that Fitzgibbon Cup is a higher level than inter county U21 and a useful stepping stone to inter county senior. If you want me to explain the pun in the previous sentence I can. Enjoy the Harty Cup Final!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There were actually 9 Limerick players starting for Ard Scoil today + all 5 subs :p

And 2 Tipp lads for Doon. But I'd agree that the Fitzgibbon has helped Cork... although it didn't help Limerick much when LIT were dominant.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    There were actually 9 Limerick players starting for Ard Scoil today + all 5 subs :p

And 2 Tipp lads for Doon. But I'd agree that the Fitzgibbon has helped Cork... although it didn't help Limerick much when LIT were dominant.

Dunno about "dominant"... LIT have only 2 fitz cups, and lost the other final. Both of those were dominated by Galway/Tipp/KK players with Fraggie and Cadogan representing Cork in each. Seems to be a common trait amongst Limerick school/college teams that limerick players are only making up the numbers ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

That's the way with most college teams generally though in fairness except for the cork ones.

• Advertisement

I am not ignoring Limerick, I am just not ignoring Cork. If you what me to praise Limerick I can. I expect last years great Munster success to be improved upon this year by at least one Limerick team. On the second part I believe that Fitzgibbon Cup is a higher level than inter county U21 and a useful stepping stone to inter county senior. If you want me to explain the pun in the previous sentence I can. Enjoy the Harty Cup Final!!!

It may come as a suprise to you but Im not actually from Limerick, the user name might be a clue!

Fitzgibbon is no where near intercounty U21 level BTW its at least two yards slower and is played in the depths of winter, a very good competition but no where near intercounty U21.

It may come as a suprise to you but Im not actually from Limerick, the user name might be a clue!

Fitzgibbon is no where near intercounty U21 level BTW its at least two yards slower and is played in the depths of winter, a very good competition but no where near intercounty U21.

Grand, I'm not from Cork. In a discussion about who won what last year I'm sorry I couldn't include Tipp. We can all enjoy the Harty and Fitzgibbon Cups no matter where we are from. I do agree summer hurling is faster than winter but if you want to make a case for an Antrim U-21 team getting to a Firzgibbon Cup final in any month of the year be my guest.

Grand, I'm not from Cork. In a discussion about who won what last year I'm sorry I couldn't include Tipp. We can all enjoy the Harty and Fitzgibbon Cups no matter where we are from. I do agree summer hurling is faster than winter but if you want to make a case for an Antrim U-21 team getting to a Firzgibbon Cup final in any month of the year be my guest.

You couldn't include Tipp?, further evidence you don't really know what you are talking about I guess!

Nice sample size there with Antrim, didn't they reach a senior AI in the 80's?? Does that mean that Fitzgibbon Cup is of a higher standard than Liam McCarthy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Connorzee wrote: »
    Dunno about "dominant"... LIT have only 2 fitz cups, and lost the other final. Both of those were dominated by Galway/Tipp/KK players with Fraggie and Cadogan representing Cork in each. Seems to be a common trait amongst Limerick school/college teams that limerick players are only making up the numbers ;):D

Yeah, but that's what you'd expect from colleges... and UL's performance this year has got Tom Ryan noticed in a big way, Dan Morrissey is now on the panel, possibly as a result of his performances- Tommy O'Brien too. Okay, all these players were known before, but it certainly didn't hurt their chances.

You couldn't include Tipp?, further evidence you don't really know what you are talking about I guess!

Nice sample size there with Antrim, didn't they reach a senior AI in the 80's?? Does that mean that Fitzgibbon Cup is of a higher standard than Liam McCarthy??

Well, your right I don't know understand the first part, I really don't. I'm new to boards.ie so does that mean you win.

Yes small sample size I used is small but more for brevity and relevance. The point is that Antrim U-21 wouldn't compete very well in the Fitzgibbon Cup. As for that Antrim team of 89 they would, that was a good team, betten by a super Tipp team.

I tell you what if I can't get a quote from a top hurler in the next week making the point that the Fitzgibbon is a better standard than U-21 inter county I give you your win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

I would personally view the Fitzgibbon to be on par if not of a higher standard than intercounty U21, having watched a lot of both in the past few years.

I would take a guess that 25 of the current UCC panel played inter-county u21, with more than 10 playing senior hurling. Obviously winter hurling plays its part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Indie. wrote: »
    I would personally view the Fitzgibbon to be on par if not of a higher standard than intercounty U21, having watched a lot of both in the past few years.

I would take a guess that 25 of the current UCC panel played inter-county u21, with more than 10 playing senior hurling. Obviously winter hurling plays its part.

Why can't we have a(n annual? ) match between All-Ireland u-21 champions and Fitzgibbon champions? That should give us the answer and attract a nice attendance.

Cregan gave a good interview here,and said it is closer to senior intercounty than u21 is in many ways and at the very least on Par with intercounty u21,and certainly not behind it,
    so"3 ships"also based on the countless games i was at ,as you will see i was at in fitzgibbon this year by my posts and photos here,i would totally agree ,you are a hunrded per correct in its at level the s ame as u21 for a varitety of reasons and even better i feel.
    Welcome to boards by the way.Your knowlege is top drawer.

.Indie summed it very well with the numbers in ucc.

I was at many u21 intercounty games also down the years and last year.

First of all in intercounty u21 you will get a variety of mismatchs similar to fitzgibbon,but last year intercounty u21 wouldnt of been overall in the same standard and competivness than the fitzgibbon .

Take the final at u21.It was a non contest.Antrim hadnt any real quailty in numbers.

Ucc won the Fitzgibbon cup ,by 5 points and at least it was competive.Look at the ucc team,they had fives ,and egan at half back.
    Lehane and harnedy up front ,brian o sullivan.

Mary I had eammon cregan all ireland winning coach with them.
    Had Declan hannon ,at half back,Jamie wall ,a midfield of galvin senior with clare,and niall o meara ,potential senior,and a half forward line of brian o halloran ,and christy cooney ,and a full forward line of luke o farell and john conlon.

They would have beaten practially every team at u21 last year bar clare.
    Most college teams have top managers involved even at fresher level.Ger cunningham was with ucc freshers.At fitygibbon ,you have Davy fitz with lit,and cyril farell,jimmy browne ,fraggie murphy captain lit in 2007 they won.

Ucc have peter cody,eddie Enright and cathal casey .Top coaches in most of the colleges .At u21 thats not the case in most counties.

Lit train with davy at 6 in the morning ,and as far back as 2007 have done that.That was a senior intercounty team in most aeras,james skehill,conor o mahony,tyrell,shane mcgrath,iarla tannion,joe canning,fraggie murphy .Four all ireland senior medal winners there.The rest played in senior finals.
    They trained harder than most senior teams,not to mind u21.

The u21 last year had a few shocks,wexford beat kilkenny,carlow beat dubs,antrim beat wexford but overall there was a huge lack of intensity in a lot of matches ,as either teams had a lack of talent or managers to utilse that talent.

Lit v ul game last wednesday was well above u21 standard ,as intensity and skill is better ,and the skill of forde,tony kelly,tom ryan,padraig walsh,morey as a sub,carmody ,collins ,was inter county and the pace was at least five yards faster than most u21 games last year.

The standard is better also in that most of the players have played u21 and moved up a level in development.Corks coningent of egan,harnedy ,lehane ,many more benfited hughely from fitzgibbon ,as with cork u21 they were poorly prepared ,and played a poor standard of hurling.At ucc there standard was much much higher.

The standard at intercouty u21 due to a limited pick for some counties is sub standard where college is a collection of stars from different counties.And when college teams do lack talent like lit,they make up for it in top class management like lit that set them up in a system to beat top teams and play to a high standard.

Two all ireland winning managers on the lit line and an all ireland winner in fraggie murphy as a player with browne of clare and buffin a winner with clare last year ,shows what college teams have,many u21 teams would do well to get one top class manager with them.

Its at the very least and many players and managers have acknowleged ,at the same level as u21 intercounty,some say its better.
    N

• Advertisement

Thanks for that above. Its a great article on the subject.

A simple google will return the following;

"the quality (in Fitzgibbon Cup) is even better than the All-Ireland Under 21 Championship" - Cyril Farrell

"I think Fitzgibbon Cup hurling would be a step up from minor and U-21 inter-county" - Eamonn Corcoran

Exact or not the point is there to be made. I am not "making this up" and the arguement I'm trying to make is frameworked with the recent past. We all love the tradition of the free-flowing, open and maybe naive but exciting U-21 hurling. Clare Galway 09!!. Just because its a better brand does not mean its better standard and even that brand is starting to be challenged by more 'modern' coaching. Clare Waterford '13. The reality is that more people are going to and spending longer in third Level education with the obvious increase in participation and therefore Standard of the HE GAA.

There is a lot of complete nonense being said in that fitgibbon is worse than u21 intercounty.

Most shrewd gaa men i know believe fitzgibbon is well up there and only for cit and ucc,cork hurling with no senior in 8 years,u21 since 98 and a minor since 2001.Fitzibbon cup has been our saving grace.

Great reads lad thanks a lot.I read them before ,great to read them again.

A lot of real knowlegable fans in limerick,and Tippeary,Cork etc would say fitzgibbon is up there with u21,and would be aware of those splendid artitcles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

There is a lot of complete nonense being said in that fitgibbon is worse than u21 intercounty.

Most shrewd gaa men i know believe fitzgibbon is well up there and only for cit and ucc,cork hurling with no senior in 8 years,u21 since 98 and a minor since 2001.Fitzibbon cup has been our saving grace.

Great reads lad thanks a lot.I read them before ,great to read them again.

A lot of real knowlegable fans in limerick,and Tippeary,Cork etc would say fitzgibbon is up there with u21,and would be aware of those splendid artitcles.

Anyone offering that as an opinion has either not seen any Fitz hurling in recent years or is not worth listening to. The quality and intensity of the competition has only increased in recent years and is not far off county level amongst the top 5 or 6 teams I would say. Was at the UCC v UCD game recently and it was brilliant viewing, as apparently were many other games in the competition, just like the Sigerson in football. Closest thing to Inter-county in both codes if you ask me.

Totally agree "ciarrai"was at that game and others this year and as i posted after games great to see such great quailty for just a euro price of a programme.

That was a great game.
    Most people know and undestand the level of the fitzgibbon,cup and as you said those that don't havent got any idea what there talking about,and isnt worth taking heed of.

Even babs keating ,Tippeary knowleagble fans know ,he even in 2007 ,said level in the fitzgibbon was higher than u21.He was with ucd at the time.

Who do you think will win it the weekend?

Just had a look through the starting 15s from this years quarter finals and looked at them from a Tipp perspective, there were 7 Tipp players who started that are all over the age of 21 and have never represented Tipp at minor or u-21!

As for the list of ''experts'' who have procalimed the Fitz is of a higher stadard, each and everyone of them had a vested interest. As for refencing Babs Keating talk about scrapeing the barrell.

7 players out of over 60,so that proves a point,no i dont think so it reenforces the other point.

Current players like shane mcgrath have said it also.He is from tippeary by the way.!!

• Advertisement

7 players out of over 60,so that proves a point,no i dont think so it reenforces the other point.

Current players like shane mcgrath have said it also.He is from tippeary by the way.!!

7 from Tipp alone, jaysus please read my post before you reply, I know you have a difficulty in reading your own posts before you post them but please afford me that courtesy ;)

Same old predictable as night follows day.Your rubbish was blown completley out of the water by by 4 posters,and you know it was rubbish,you do your trademark personal defenceand pathetic roll of the eyes.

You fool no one one but yourself.
    Shown up again.

Thanks.

Just had a look through the starting 15s from this years quarter finals and looked at them from a Tipp perspective, there were 7 Tipp players who started that are all over the age of 21 and have never represented Tipp at minor or u-21!

Cant comment on the other quarter finals but in the UCC UCD quarter there was 4 ex Tipp U 21's playing.Not really enforcing any point.Just an observation.

As for the list of ''experts'' who have procalimed the Fitz is of a higher stadard, each and everyone of them had a vested interest. As for refencing Babs Keating talk about scrapeing the barrell.

If those 7 were under 21 and could not get into the Tipp u21 team then you have a point. The whole idea is that there are quality players who are 21 plus up to 23/24 some beyond playing this competition and thats why the standard is better.

If those 7 were under 21 and could not get into the Tipp u21 team then you have a point. The whole idea is that there are quality players who are 21 plus up to 23/24 some beyond playing this competition and thats why the standard is better.

But they were eligible for u21 in the last two and three years respectively and not one of them was ever even on the Tipp panel.

Im not putting this forward as conclusive proof of anything btw just an abservation and a pointer that this isnt as conclusive as some would suggest. Of course you are correct there are players who are 23/24 playing but to counter that there are an equal number of players who played intercounty u21 but never played Fitzgibbon.

• Advertisement

But it is conclusive, give it a rest. Fitz is closer to Senior intercounty than U21. Case closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Settle it once and for all. U-21 champions v. Fitzgibbon champions. Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

feargale wrote: »
    Settle it once and for all. U-21 champions v. Fitzgibbon champions. Yes or no?
    When would they play? Fitzgibbon championship is finished in March. U21 championship finishes in September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    When would they play? Fitzgibbon championship is finished in March. U21 championship finishes in September

Also the two teams would have a few players in common, almost to a mortal certainty.

Interesting points raised in the last few posts and in particular Deises, that was my whole point from the outset, IMO U21 is a truer reflection because of the condition it is played in, I have seen a lot of standout players in Fitzgibbbon struggle at intercounty because of the different speed and you seem to get that extra yard of space.

Its just an opinion, some folk need to seriously relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Respective starting Teams for both finals they won in 2013
    UCC: D McCarthy; S Maher, D Glynn, K Murphy; J Barry, D Fives, W Egan (0-2); P Haughney (0-1), B Murray; S Harnedy (1-1), D McCormack (0-1), Brian Lawton; B O’Sullivan (0-2), C Lehane (1-9, 0-7fs), B Harnett.

Clare: R Taffe, P Flanagan, D McInerney, J Browne, S Morey (0-02), A O'Neill (0-01, 1f), S O'Halloran, C Galvin (0-03), T Kelly (0-03), P Duggan, P Collins, C Malone (0-02), C O'Connell (0-11, 10f), S O'Donnell (1-00), D O'Halloran (1-04)

Just my opinion but Clare would wipe the floor with this UCC side. The Clare u21 team from 2012 would also have beaten UCC's 2012 fitz team also. Look at what they did to the Waterford u21s in 2012, a Waterford team including Paudie Mahony, Philip Mahony and Darragh Fives, 3 key players in UCC's team in 2012

Clare 2012: R Taaffe; P Flanagan, D McInerney, K Ryan; S Morey, C Ryan, P O'Connor; C Galvin, S Golden; A Cunningham, P Collins, T Kelly; C O'Connell, C McGrath (captain), C McInerney.

Its just an opinion, some folk need to seriously relax!

Dont necessarily agree with you on the Fitz V u21 diacussion but as you've said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Still also think that the UCC panel posted by Deise would be a match to the Clare u21 winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Respective starting Teams for both finals they won in 2013
    UCC: D McCarthy; S Maher, D Glynn, K Murphy; J Barry, D Fives, W Egan (0-2); P Haughney (0-1), B Murray; S Harnedy (1-1), D McCormack (0-1), Brian Lawton; B O’Sullivan (0-2), C Lehane (1-9, 0-7fs), B Harnett.

Clare: R Taffe, P Flanagan, D McInerney, J Browne, S Morey (0-02), A O'Neill (0-01, 1f), S O'Halloran, C Galvin (0-03), T Kelly (0-03), P Duggan, P Collins, C Malone (0-02), C O'Connell (0-11, 10f), S O'Donnell (1-00), D O'Halloran (1-04)

Just my opinion but Clare would wipe the floor with this UCC side. The Clare u21 team from 2012 would also have beaten UCC's 2012 fitz team also. Look at what they did to the Waterford u21s in 2012, a Waterford team including Paudie Mahony, Philip Mahony and Darragh Fives, 3 key players in UCC's team in 2012

Clare 2012: R Taaffe; P Flanagan, D McInerney, K Ryan; S Morey, C Ryan, P O'Connor; C Galvin, S Golden; A Cunningham, P Collins, T Kelly; C O'Connell, C McGrath (captain), C McInerney.

Think you've just settled the argument there. Throw in the Tipp U21 team of 2010 and various Gakway, Limerick and Kilkenny U21s over the last number of years and the Fitz teams wouldn't have a prayer.

This year fitzgibbon Cup quater finals

3 teams i picked

CORK IT (Cork unless stated): Stephen Nyhan; Stephen Murphy,(cork u21) Alan Dennehy, Tomas Lawrence; Eoin Keane,(cork u21) Mark Ellis (cork u21),Padraig Butler; Michael Russell, Michael O’Sullivan Cork U21; Conor Hammersley (Tipperary) (tipp u21), John Cronin(cork u21), John O’Dwyer (Tipperary)U21; Jamie Coughlan Cork u21 Daniel Dooley, David Drake.Cork u24
    Subs: Bill Cooper for Drake 36, William Murphy for Russell 52, Michael O’Brien (Tipperary) for Dooley 53.

Murphy (Limerick u21); Sean O’Gorman (Clare), Martin Minihan (Tipperary), Cian Nolan (Clare); Paul Flaherty (Galway) U21 Barry O’Connell (Limericku21), Enda Boyce (Clare); Seanie O’Brien (Limerick), Tony Kelly (Clare) u21; Alan Dempsey (Limerick) u21 Mark Gennery (Tipperary), Philip Ivors (Tipperary)u21 ; Pat Begley (Limerick) u21, Jamie Shanahan (Clare) u21, Cathal McInerney (Clare) u24. Subs: Shane McGrath (Clare) for Mark Gennery (44mins), Oisin Hickey (Clare) for Philip Ivors (60mins).

UCC (Cork unless stated): Darren McCarthy;(cork u21) Stephen Maher (Tipperary)(u21, David Glynn (Kilkenny u21), Patrick O’Sullivan; James Barry (Tipperary) u24, Paudie Prendergast (Waterford)u21, Cormac Murphy cork u21; Brian Murray cork u21, Daniel Roche Cork u21; Robert O’Shea,Cork u21 Dan McCormack (Tipperary) u21, Jamie Barron (Waterford)u21; Alan Cadogan cork u21 Barry Lawton,cork u21 Willie Griffin (Limerick).

Subs: Shane O’Donnell (Clare) u21 for Cadogan (14-16, blood), Colm Spillane for Murphy (35),cork u21 O’Donnell for Roche (42), Séamus Harnedy for Barron (47).

Harnedy was on the 21 panel,didnt play that was down to a cluess manager.

The orginal point was clear as Day :Premierstone said twice in hes post,not once but twice fitzgibbon cup is no where near U21 intercounty leavel and at least two yards slowes which is complete and utter bull.

Its gas in ,hes clear as day hes point was just wrong,he tells people to relax ,and just an opinion he had.Thats fair enough but the same lad would want to take hes own medicine.He was quick to point out to the original poster he had the debate with,he had no idea what he was talking about and quickly dismissed.And now hes post has been exposed as flawed he has mellowed out.

As i highlighted all those players have played u21 for intercounty and were now in the knockout stages of the fitygibbon cup.So the standard is not lower than u21,how could it be,they played it,and not the case where the majority at fitzibbon cup are worse than 21 and you go down the years in teams you will a lot of players from 21 teams.

In some cases like cork mangaement is inferior at u21 ,to college and as proven our 21 lads were better as managers got the best out of them.And the level improves at college level.

A valid point deise,but that clare u21 team,were exceptional and a lot played n the senior team and won an all ireland.The rest of u21 teams certainly isnt much better than the fitzgbbon cups teams,at best level with them.They would win but ucc would give them a huge game.

I was at around 4 or more games this college season and the standard has been exceptional ,and no way worse than u21.

Weather wont dilute intensity and intesity in this comp has been well over u21 set up.A lot more focus is put in to college elite hurling by some.

I think the crux of the point is that the UCC team of last year, may not beat last years clare u21 team, but they sure as hell would've gotten to the final and given them a better run than any of the other 21 teams. That clare team was closer to Senior than every other u21 team with the talent they had, freakishly so.. so the argument that Fitz is closer to senior than U21 still stands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement