Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitzgibbon Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

UCC v CIT should be a good game,unique in that its the 1st time both teams travel so far to play each other.A lot of Cork players In both teams.Ucc are well coached with Cody,and Enright and you have Pat Mulchay and the brother Donal doing good work with them.
    Of Course John graniger of UCC,and Kith Ricken CIT give great support to both teams in the colleges.

It should be close ,a derby game,a lot of Cork senior lads ,Lehane,O Shea ,Harnedy,Cadogan etc v Ellis,Keane,Coughlan,Michael O'Sullivan so that is bound to get the fires burning,but if UCC pick there strongest team they should win and provided they adapt to the system CIT play which we do not know they will play yet.

Remember at College level,every team wants to win,and a there are some lads here that will never play senior,are gone from u21,and there chance of success af after college is limited to Clubs ,so both teams will take it seriously
    UCC have around 8 of last year ,so the expierence is there.CIT have 4 from 2012.

IF Cit play 15 v 15:

CIThave Stephen Murphy ,Cork u 21,superb for Blackrock at centre forward in the Cork County u21 final v Midelton.A great man in the air,he has fast hands.
    Wont give much away to Wille Griffin or Cadogan two lethal forwards in top form.

The rest of that line is weakish though, and where the problems surface Dennehy and Lawernce of Brian Dillions are fine hurlers in there own right but Shane O Donnell or Griffin is a step up in class if they get fast ball.They only have one Stephen Murphy,so if he goes to Cadogan,Griffin is free,or if is goes to Griffin,Cadogan is just too hot to handle for Lawerence.
    O Donnell,on Dennehy is a huge mismatch.They dont have options.UCC have Aherene of Limerick that could do a job as a forward sub if required.

Half back line of Ellis and Keane is strong physically but Lehane if he doesnt play 14 has too much pace,and hurling for Ellis and ,harnedy is as strong,as brave as keane,but more mobile and athletic and they should win ball there.
    IF harnedy is at 11 with lehane ,Barron compiments that line or Mccormack could do a job once its with lehane and ,harnedy, and Barron against Tippereary man butler.

CIT have an edge in 15 v 15 with Michael O Sulliivn,whos grit,strength ,snarling abilty for loose ball ,and tackling and direct running is too much for Roche or ,Murray.If fives is fit,Cormac Murphy could start thern or Rob O'shea must start there in the midfield aera.

CIT are strong at half forward in,Hammersly is a Tipp u21,good hurler,John Cronin a great man to win ball in the air ,and was cork u21 and intermedite,football also,great worker and with Bubbles,who is strong,forceful,good in the air,and fast then they will be a serious test for Paudie Prengerast and James Barry.If CIT have any sense they move Coughlan out from full forward,he hates been in the full forward line as hes running and scoring at distance would be a huge asset to CIT.Drake ,and Cooper in the inside line and O Dywer won'tdo much with 15 v .15.
    Cooper isnt a full forward.

From my take on the game as above with the match ups that UCC have an overall advantage i said,If CIT GO 15 v 15 UCC will win,and win it handy,as there half forward line is too good for CIT half backs,midfield they will at least break even and there is huge weakness inside CIt full back line and UCC have a potent full forward line to cause real damage.

CIt half forwards to break even with UCC is fine but the problem is UCC half forwards will dominate with any ball and score more against CIT half back line ,if its Lehane,and Harnedy.

Ucc full back line of Stephen Maher and Glynn have u21 exprerence with Tipp and kilkenny but if they had Colm Spillane as a 3 and move Gynn over to replace O Sullivan they would be much stronger.

CIT cant go against UCC the way i outlined.

The only way for CIT to beat UCC is a Davy Fitz sweeper system ,close down space,crowd,and then with the ball use there strong men to run and play a possesion game and they could win.Pat mulchay is a shrewd hurling man,and with Donal are well adversed to the possesion game with Newtown,they had good teachers ,in Bertie O Connor,Liam Ryan,Ger Cunningham Ul.At Newtown they beat Club teams teams in Cork,Munster and Ireland ,as yes they had 3 intercounty men,but they played a system to utilse the talent avaible.
    Mulchay brothers,i have a feeling won't mind playing against the traditonal game.

Withdraw Cooper to centre forward,beside hammesly and John Cronin ,put Coughlan in a Tony Kelly role,,play deep around he's half back line up to midfeld with Russell-get loose ball and run ,use the pace and either score or create for Bubbles inside or David Drake, in a 2 man full forward line ,who one v one is a lethal forward,and has fast hands.Played in the final v UCC against CIT a few years ago.Some man to take a side line cut.Ellis shouldnt be taking them with Drake there,a Cork minor,u21 and Intermediate player.

Michael O Sullivan could play the sweeper ,for CIT,droping back from midfield,With coughlan filling hes gap.

He has the reading to do it,vastly underated,ideal to get stuck in,and has great tackling and physical presence.With him and Ellis,Keane,Butler,the space is croweded and you make Ellis and Keane look top half backs .
    As you have a forteess ,rather than individuals.O Sullivan is ideal to run with the ball ,break the tackle out of defence and create the off load to runners in space.

If they get a foothold here and keep it tight,and limit UCC Getting ball there and overcrowd them in that Vital middle third,they could very well win ,or push UCC.The mystery is what they system they play.It would be foolish and naive to take UCC on man for man.
    If they do,there is only one winner.If they dont they have a chance.

However my basis is that Lehane,and Harnedy start in the half forward line.If they dont and it is Barron ,Mccormack ,and O Shea ,that half forward line is no where near as potent and quite average as a unit and CIT wouldnt need such a system.

In college hurling,its like minor and u21,there is no fore gone conclusion,but the LITshock win against UL,wasnt just a flukey win,they set themselves up to win,it was won on the sideline.It was a masterclass in management the way Farrell and Browne managed different sections of the ptich all during the game,and never left there spot.

UCC beat Maynooth with 13 men,a huge shock,then jordstown ,a big shock again,due To Morgan shrewdness and tactial abilty on the line in the Sigerson Cup.
    At every level,even in schools level in the harty cup final i was at ,tactics have a huge part in the game.

For that reason i expect LIt with the all star cast,Davy ,Fraggie captain in 2007,Cyril farell and jimmy Browne to out wit and outfox Bonnar.To key to beating lIT,is stop Tony Kelly,as with the sweeper system he is there main man ,attacking,scoring or creating.
    Clare are very hard to beat ,as they have lads that can play a plan A and plan B.

LIT dont have that luxury.Davys teams are great when they have an agenda ,a bee in there bonnet,to drive that intensity ,focus and hunger for every minute during a game.WIT beat them last year ,so they have the revenge factor to motivate them.

It sounds easy but its no suprise how some managements in different teams at all grades often over complicate things ,and fail to be logical.I havent seen enough of Bonnar in Managemement to convince me ,they have enough where witthal to beat LIT,who with Flaherty,O Connell,Ivers,Boyce they have players that play well in that system.
    Seanie O Brien is a huge loss but i fancy LIT ,if they have a replacement for him.
    It is a mark of Davy and Farells influence that a limited team,without there man of the match from last week,against a team that beat them last year(yes WITare missing a few)are expected to win by so many.

I hope it is LIT ,as Cork teams need expierence of beating Davys system,its here to stay,and the more players play it and against it,the more you can adapt to it and learn from it.

You were wrong on both predictions. Cant beat the fight in an underdog at this level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

What a win for CIT, huge underdogs. Once again it shows that hurling at this time of year is very unpredictable. Great to know that we'll have new champions now. Always good for the no matter what level.

And what a win for WIT. Weren't given a hope and when LIT ran up a ten point lead it was thought that's it for WIT! The wind WAS a factor and Davy's invincibility wasn't enough. Fair play to Bonnar and his team. Got on with their business in a quiet manner. Were missing some players from time to time and perhaps that's why they were underestimated.

Anybody's title now but for me I hope WIT do it. It would be a boost for Waterford hurling although I don't expect Waterford followers to get too carried away. Their players are already established with the county and bring a lot to WIT rather the the reverse.

New All Ireland senior champions in 2103. And now new Fitzgibbon Champions. Great for hurling.

Ps - it shows you that the so called Clare/Davy system is beatable. Mind you not for a minute did I ever think otherwise. If counties start thinking that Clare are unbeatable then they will never beat them. Can't imagine Donal O'Grady, Eamon O'Shea, Brian Cody, Anthony Cunningham, Anthony Daly, Derek MCGrath etc ever conceding that! Their teams have the talent to contest with Clare and their system any day. An intriguing season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Grats wrote: »
    What a win for CIT, huge underdogs. Once again it shows that hurling at this time of year is very unpredictable. Great to know that we'll have new champions now. Always good for the no matter what level.

And what a win for WIT. Weren't given a hope and when LIT ran up a ten point lead it was thought that's it for WIT! The wind WAS a factor and Davy's invincibility wasn't enough. Fair play to Bonnar and his team. Got on with their business in a quiet manner. Were missing some players from time to time and perhaps that's why they were underestimated.

Anybody's title now but for me I hope WIT do it. It would be a boost for Waterford hurling although I don't expect Waterford followers to get too carried away. Their players are already established with the county and bring a lot to WIT rather the the reverse.

New All Ireland senior champions in 2103. And now new Fitxgibbon Champions. Great for hurling.

Ye I hope Waterford win it by 2103 anyway:D Not bad going for Winter hurling should be better tomorrow being the first day of Spring. Great day for Hurling regardless

3ships wrote: »
    Ye I hope Waterford win it by 2103 anyway:D Not bad going for Winter hurling should be better tomorrow being the first day of Spring. Great day for Hurling regardless

Haha! Clare won in 2013 and now we're going to have new Fitz Champs- in 2014 obviously.

Another thought - not everything is wonderful about the Clare system. I have mentioned before that they do foul a lot. Again today Davy's team conceded 13 points from frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Is there anywhere online that has a list of the teams and scorers today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online that has a list of the teams and scorers today?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/gaa/

Waterford IT 2-21
    Limerick IT 3-17
    JAKE DILLON HIT the winning point for WIT in the seventh minute of extra-time to put them through to the Fitzgibbon Cup final after today’s epic semi-final at Queen’s University playing fields in Belfast.

Ballygunnar’s Pauric Mahony hit an incredible 0-16, all but one from placed balls, with 12 of those points coming in normal time for WIT.

But it was full-forward Jake Dillon who hit the winning point for WIT three minutes before the end of extra-time.

LIT led by 1-15 to 0-8 after 39 minutes and looked totally comfortable. Cathal McInerney got the only goal of the first-half after 25 minutes to give LIT a 1-12 to 0-6 lead at half-time.

Even though the Waterford college had the wind in the second-half, LIT stretched their lead further with points from Alan Dempsey, Philip Ivors and Paul Flaherty to take a commanding nine point lead with 21 minutes to go.

WIT sprang to life and hit 1-7 without reply in the second-half. Harry Kehoe got the first of two goals for WIT in the 46th minute to ignite the fightback and with Mahony punishing every LIT foul with unerring free-taking, WIT drew level at 1-15 each with two minutes remaining.

In an exciting finish, there was still time for two late goals before the game went to extra-time.

Clare’s Cathal McInerney thought he’d won it for LIT when he kicked the ball into the net with only 51 seconds remaining but after a long puck out, Harry Kehoe scored a goal from 30 yards seconds before the hooter sounded.

The sides still could not be separated at half-time in extra-time, Tony Kelly with LIT’s third goal drawing them level at 3-16 to 2-19 at the break.

The sides traded points before Dillon’s late winner put WIT through to the final.

Scorers for WIT: Pauric Mahony 0-16 (0-13f, 0-2 ‘65s’), Harry Kehoe 2-1, Eoin Murphy 0-2, Cathal Kenny, Jake Dillon 0-1 each.Scorers for LIT: Tony Kelly 1-5 (0-4f), Cathal McInerney 2-2, Jamie Shanahan, Alan Dempsey 0-3 each, Paul Flaherty 0-2, Philip Ivors, Pat Begley 0-1 each.

WATERFORD IT: Stephen O’Keeffe (Waterford); Ger Teehan (Kilkenny), Pauric Gahan (Kilkenny), Jerome Maher (Waterford); Thomas Hamill (Tipperary), Joe O’Dwyer (Tipperary), Shaun Murphy (Wexford); Stephen Roche (Waterford), Cathal Kenny (Kilkenny); Harry Kehoe (Wexford), Pauric Mahony (Waterford), Eoin Murphy (Kilkenny); Liam McGrath (Tipperary), Jake Dillon (Waterford), Gavin O’Brien (Waterford)

Subs: Jack Langton (Kilkenny) for Kenny (44).

LIMERICK IT: Aaron Murphy (Limerick); Sean O’Gorman (Clare), Martin Minehan (Tipperary), Cian Nolan (Clare); Paul Killeen Galway), Enda Boyce (Clare), Barry O’Connell (Limerick); Alan Dempsey (Limerick), Paul Flaherty (Galway); Tony Kelly (Clare), Pat Begley (Limerick), Mark Gennery (Tipperary); Philip Ivors (Tipperary), Cathal McInerney (Clare), Jamie Shanahan (Clare).

Subs: Shane McGrath (Clare) for Killeen (46), Padraig Hickey (Clare) for Gennery (59).

Referee: Brian Gavin (Offaly).

Another thought - not everything is wonderful about the Clare system. I have mentioned before that they do foul a lot. Again today Davy's team conceded 13 points from frees.

Agreed, Mahony punished them especially with that with that wind. It's very noticable with Clare now but I don't think they need to do it. I could see the point of it 18 months ago because they were trying to compete physically not now

Agreed, Mahony punished them especially with that with that wind. It's very noticable with Clare now but I don't think they need to do it. I could see the point of it 18 months ago because they were trying to compete physically not now

That IS part of their system. It won't change.

• Advertisement

Sounds like there is some unsavory language from Davy at the end of the clip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Indie. wrote: »

Sounds like there is some unsavory language from Davy at the end of the clip!
    hahahaha pure davy at the end

Davy is far from invincible. His bully boy tactics on the sideline are fooling no one, f'ing and blinding at referees, opposition mentors and even opposition players. No place in the game for it. Its rich coming from a man who claimed to have been bullied in school and shows respect to everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Davy is far from invincible. His bully boy tactics on the sideline are fooling no one, f'ing and blinding at referees, opposition mentors and even opposition players. No place in the game for it. Its rich coming from a man who claimed to have been bullied in school and shows respect to everyone
    Its up to officials at games to stop that. Coaches, players cant do anything to stop it while games are going on but officials can. If linesmen and referee warn DF on what he's doing and he continue's then send him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

A big suprise many will think ,but im not suprised,i said it before thrown in ,they had ,ucc,a stronger bench that what started,and it depended what half forward line they picked.

Cornerstone ,i wasnt wrong with Ucc game,read the post again.I was the only one that ,said cit had a chance and said they could win ,and i broke it down for people like you and it was very dependent on how Cit played ,and said if Ucc had went 15 v 15 ,and the half forward line they picked there strongest team,they didnt, they would win and based it that spillane,would start,and o shea would be in the middle Lehane wouldnt be at 14,and o donell would play .Hughely significant i would think.
    I said if they didnt ,cit adopted the right plan they could win it.
    You see,im not sure if you have been to fitzgibbon cup games,but if you have,its quite common to have changes in a team before throw in,and espiceally with ucc panel of over 30.Thats why i gave two scenarios .

Yes i got lit ,game wrong.Hands up

I dont think it had anything to do with just fight in the underdog,with Cit ,it had to do with cit got every inch out of there team and set up accordingly ,Ucc didnt.Also have the common courtsey if your going to judge my predictions,and jump in ,just on me that i got it wrong,many got the ucc game wrong,to do to others but more importantly ,have the ba**s to make a prediction yourself and don't sit on the fence .Of course you didnt ,make one,so your in a lovely comfort zone.I don't sit on the fence,you should try it,you earn more respect.I think you are trying a make a point,but it doesnt stand up when you choose to wait for hindsight ,rather than before a match.

Big difference being wrong in a prediction than saying,a player never played underage for a county when he did.In case you want to add them up ,i was wrong in a harty cup semifinal and the all ireland final replay.

Please dont be the hurler on the dtich,enlighten us with your own pears of wisdom before a match,than jump in and shoot down a lad,when you didnt make a call yourself,and stayed well and truly inside your comfort zone.Well done,that took courage and convicton.

The signs were there ucc ,all during there games i saw,the team needed changes,i said it many times here and on the cork thread.I suggest you read over them.I had also been wrong with ul ,like many here thought it be a ul v ucc final.

8 point downs Cit in pole position,ucc okay they had a wind,but made changes far too late ,and they done that in other games ,and got away with it,but today cried wolf too many times.Waited a whole half to play spillane,and 7 minutes left,throw on o donnell.

I said it would depend very much on cit approach to the game.And shorty before it ,i said ucc bench was stronger ,than some of the lads staring.They ,lost it on the sideline.O shea isnt a 12,sullivan any time i saw him a gooddefender in hes own right,but no where near ,lester or Senior cork panelist killan burke,won a county with middelton,murray and roches are hurlers that are fine in some games,no good in a battle,and Lehane is not or never has been at 14.They dropped roche,left murray,i see .

How many times have i said it on the Cork thread re Lehane.I rate Enright,but thats a bad call to play lehane there at 14.

I saw him down the maradyke earlier ,at 14 against wit and he was awful,compared to hes own standards.
    Management 100 per cent to blame for not picking the best team.

I said it on the cork thread and here ,that Ucc had to change that team,as they wouldnt win it outright with that starting 15,thats a poor half forward line ,o shea isnt one,,but mccormack and o shea are not greatest they could have picked.

When ellis and keane can dominate at half back ,as per live gaelic,dominated everywhere tells it own story.Fine players in there own right ,hardly intercount half backs.Keane could be at full back.g

As i said that ucc half forward line is average,and cit wouldnt need a sweeper to counter it .By all accounts michael o suillvan had a stormer.I said he would.

Cit had weak spots but they had no real replacements.Ucc had no such excuse and had a cherry of pickings.Look at the options they had.
    Burke or lester much better than sullivan.

Spillane could played at 3 ,or even at 7.Got a point when he came on.

Cormac walsh outstanding for midelton in the latter stages ,of the county much better than murray who are average .O shea is a midfielder not a half forward.

Lehane is a half forward not a full forward.

How cadogan,5 points from play in hes two cork games and 3 for ucc the last game v ucd at 13 didnt play in the full forward line and shane o donnell did not start inside ,is beyound logic.

Delighted for Cit ,as they have been around the top for a bit and i hope they win it now after loosing a Cork County and a fittzgibbon cup,and i didnt mind who won todayas it was a cork team,and lit ,were beaten and they the main threat were goneg,but ,if i was a ucc man i would be furious .The warning signs were there all along.
    As regards Davy ,i suggest you to go down to ul north campus 7 to 9,every tuesday and friday .Have a look at them train.That is the Real and only reason he won the All ireland.As for bullying,yes he team on the ptich bullies opponents,Meath,Kilkenny,Kerry ,Tyrone all done that,and thats why they won all irelands.I wish Cork would do the same.
    You dont win all irelands with a bunch of alter boys,This is Elite sport.Davy deserves immense credit and respect for what he achieved.What a stupid comparison,with respect ,to bullying.Bullying at school can be traumatic and affect people in different ways.I wouldnt say Davy is bullying.Its passion.He is hardly the only one doing it.This is sport,not young boys in school in fairness.Jack o connor,cody,Morgan,boylan all had there moments on the line.Guess what,there winners .
    Davy of the field is down to earth ,and i know many in the game who as a person say hes salt of the earth,there is a good in him,people like you dont want to see..

Cit v wit should be a good game,live tg4,4.15 tommorrow ,Immense credit to the management and to the Mulchay brothers, two gentleman,but shrewd hurling men.I said it many times,Muchay is a shrewd manager,a few years ago he done a comprensive review of problems in cork underage,and a plan to change it,wasnt even considered.

Yet some in Cork ,had visions ,stay static ,like a statue ,we are cork ,the Mushroom therory.And some of the guys managing cork teams at underage ,are completely out of there depth.

Mulcahy would be ideal with a Cork underage team,he simply wont be given a job.A good fitgibbon cup in terms of coaching with fraggie involved in lit great run and Pat Mulchay , now in a final.I always said we had talent coaching wise in cork ,it just needs to be developed.

ON another note todays loss doesnt in any way devalue Davy system ,its not a symptom of a problem with it.They had on paper,look at there team,indivudally ,inferior to wit ,like it was with ul ,but he dragged a team ,severly limited to a semi final,beaten by a score ,without there man of the last match o brien ,shows how good that system is.

And clare have much more options than lit.Take laois severly depelted ,with no forwards,caused cork big problems last week.
    That system Davy has ,will like system have to be refined ,and tweaked to evolve,but that system is the one to beat.
    IF LIT hadnt played ,that system wit would have beaten them out the gate,and they wouldnt got there,ul would have done the same.AS GRATS said he wont change the system.He would be foolish to do so on todays game.

Davy team lost today but lost an epic by a point.Taking in the team at full value,they have won more than they lost in the competiton.
    They could have done no more with the panel he had.
    Ucc cant say the same .

A big suprise many will think ,but im not suprised,i said it before thrown in ,they had ,ucc,a stronger bench that what started,and it depended what half forward line they picked.

Cornerstone ,i wasnt wrong with Ucc game,read the post again.I was the only one that ,said cit had a chance and said they could win ,and i broke it down for people like you and it was very dependent on how Cit played ,and said if Ucc had went 15 v 15 ,and the half forward line they picked there strongest team,they didnt, they would win and based it that spillane,would start,and o shea would be in the middle Lehane wouldnt be at 14,and o donell would play .Hughely significant i would think.
    I said if they didnt ,cit adopted the right plan they could win it.
    You see,im not sure if you have been to fitzgibbon cup games,but if you have,its quite common to have changes in a team before throw in,and espiceally with ucc panel of over 30.Thats why i gave two scenarios .

Yes i got lit ,game wrong.Hands up

I dont think it had anything to do with just fight in the underdog,with Cit ,it had to do with cit got every inch out of there team and set up accordingly ,Ucc didnt.Also have the common courtsey if your going to judge my predictions,and jump in ,just on me that i got it wrong,many got the ucc game wrong,to do to others but more importantly ,have the ba**s to make a prediction yourself and don't sit on the fence .Of course you didnt ,make one,so your in a lovely comfort zone.I don't sit on the fence,you should try it,you earn more respect.I think you are trying a make a point,but it doesnt stand up when you choose to wait for hindsight ,rather than before a match.

Big difference being wrong in a prediction than saying,a player never played underage for a county when he did.In case you want to add them up ,i was wrong in a harty cup semifinal and the all ireland final replay.

Please dont be the hurler on the dtich,enlighten us with your own pears of wisdom before a match,than jump in and shoot down a lad,when you didnt make a call yourself,and stayed well and truly inside your comfort zone.Well done,that took courage and convicton.

The signs were there ucc ,all during there games i saw,the team needed changes,i said it many times here and on the cork thread.I suggest you read over them.I had also been wrong with ul ,like many here thought it be a ul v ucc final.

8 point downs Cit in pole position,ucc okay they had a wind,but made changes far too late ,and they done that in other games ,and got away with it,but today cried wolf too many times.Waited a whole half to play spillane,and 7 minutes left,throw on o donnell.

I said it would depend very much on cit approach to the game.And shorty before it ,i said ucc bench was stronger ,than some of the lads staring.They ,lost it on the sideline.O shea isnt a 12,sullivan any time i saw him a gooddefender in hes own right,but no where near ,lester or Senior cork panelist killan burke,won a county with middelton,murray and roches are hurlers that are fine in some games,no good in a battle,and Lehane is not or never has been at 14.They dropped roche,left murray,i see .

How many times have i said it on the Cork thread re Lehane.I rate Enright,but thats a bad call to play lehane there at 14.

I saw him down the maradyke earlier ,at 14 against wit and he was awful,compared to hes own standards.
    Management 100 per cent to blame for not picking the best team.

I said it on the cork thread and here ,that Ucc had to change that team,as they wouldnt win it outright with that starting 15,thats a poor half forward line ,o shea isnt one,,but mccormack and o shea are not greatest they could have picked.

When ellis and keane can dominate at half back ,as per live gaelic,dominated everywhere tells it own story.Fine players in there own right ,hardly intercount half backs.Keane could be at full back.g

As i said that ucc half forward line is average,and cit wouldnt need a sweeper to counter it .By all accounts michael o suillvan had a stormer.I said he would.

Cit had weak spots but they had no real replacements.Ucc had no such excuse and had a cherry of pickings.Look at the options they had.
    Burke or lester much better than sullivan.

Spillane could played at 3 ,or even at 7.Got a point when he came on.

Cormac walsh outstanding for midelton in the latter stages ,of the county much better than murray who are average .O shea is a midfielder not a half forward.

Lehane is a half forward not a full forward.

How cadogan,5 points from play in hes two cork games and 3 for ucc the last game v ucd at 13 didnt play in the full forward line and shane o donnell did not start inside ,is beyound logic.

Delighted for Cit ,as they have been around the top for a bit and i hope they win it now after loosing a Cork County and a fittzgibbon cup,and i didnt mind who won todayas it was a cork team,and lit ,were beaten and they the main threat were goneg,but ,if i was a ucc man i would be furious .The warning signs were there all along.
    As regards Davy ,i suggest you to go down to ul north campus 7 to 9,every tuesday and friday .Have a look at them train.That is the Real and only reason he won the All ireland.As for bullying,yes he team on the ptich bullies opponents,Meath,Kilkenny,Kerry ,Tyrone all done that,and thats why they won all irelands.I wish Cork would do the same.
    You dont win all irelands with a bunch of alter boys,This is Elite sport.Davy deserves immense credit and respect for what he achieved.What a stupid comparison,with respect ,to bullying.Bullying at school can be traumatic and affect people in different ways.I wouldnt say Davy is bullying.Its passion.He is hardly the only one doing it.This is sport,not young boys in school in fairness.Jack o connor,cody,Morgan,boylan all had there moments on the line.Guess what,there winners .
    Davy of the field is down to earth ,and i know many in the game who as a person say hes salt of the earth,there is a good in him,people like you dont want to see..

Cit v wit should be a good game,live tg4,4.15 tommorrow ,Immense credit to the management and to the Mulchay brothers, two gentleman,but shrewd hurling men.I said it many times,Muchay is a shrewd manager,a few years ago he done a comprensive review of problems in cork underage,and a plan to change it,wasnt even considered.

Yet some in Cork ,had visions ,stay static ,like a statue ,we are cork ,the Mushroom therory.And some of the guys managing cork teams at underage ,are completely out of there depth.

Mulcahy would be ideal with a Cork underage team,he simply wont be given a job.A good fitgibbon cup in terms of coaching with fraggie involved in lit great run and Pat Mulchay , now in a final.I always said we had talent coaching wise in cork ,it just needs to be developed.

ON another note todays loss doesnt in any way devalue Davy system ,its not a symptom of a problem with it.They had on paper,look at there team,indivudally ,inferior to wit ,like it was with ul ,but he dragged a team ,severly limited to a semi final,beaten by a score ,without there man of the last match o brien ,shows how good that system is.

And clare have much more options than lit.Take laois severly depelted ,with no forwards,caused cork big problems last week.
    That system Davy has ,will like system have to be refined ,and tweaked to evolve,but that system is the one to beat.
    IF LIT hadnt played ,that system wit would have beaten them out the gate,and they wouldnt got there,ul would have done the same.AS GRATS said he wont change the system.He would be foolish to do so on todays game.

Davy team lost today but lost an epic by a point.Taking in the team at full value,they have won more than they lost in the competiton.
    They could have done no more with the panel he had.
    Ucc cant say the same .

To be honest with work commitments im not in a position to ever make a fitzgibbon game as they on during the week so i cant say who I think should win when I havnt seen any of the teams in action. WIT look slightly better on paper but as weve seen games are not played on paper

Absolutely spot on. He's a contradiction. Why does he think its ok for him to act the bully but wants every other bully condemned?

I think comparing Cody to Davy is not fair. You may hear Cody have a heated debate but not this barrage of insults. You can still be a great manager without having to resort to that in my opinion. Bullying is bullying no matter what form. School ground or otherwise. People have taken their lives because of it. Dont think you should just sweep it under the carpet. Its a serious issue

• Advertisement

Also Im new to this form and Id appreciate it if youd lay off a bit. I made a comment tongue in cheek about your predictions, it wasnt intended to be offensive

Absolutely spot on. He's a contradiction. Why does he think its ok for him to act the bully but wants every other bully condemned?

100% agree. It has nothing to do with hurling and there is no need for it

Fair point you cant go to a game,but dont be fast to shoot down others that make a prediction.
    And you dont have to go to every game,to call it.

Lad i never said bullying was not a problem.
    I said it was trautmatic.You with have with respect a habit of twisting posts.

To say davy is a bully is a bit much.
    You must be having a laugh with cody.

Didnt he years ago confront gavin against galway at h time walking of the field.
    He isnt a bully,but controfiental ,you could say.
    Davy is the same.As soon as the game is over ,after heat blows over davy would get on like cody with anyone.
    He is hardly a bullyg

I have a lot of admiration for rugby and the way the game is run. No one opens their mouth to the referees, not players not managers. Manager sits up in stand and watch it from there with ear piece. At the end of the day its up to the players once they cross those white lines. Managers have done all they can in the weeks and months leading up to a game. They give their last bit of motivation in the dressing room before the game and at half time. The GAA could learn a thing or too from it, all sports could really particularly soccer

To be honest with work commitments im not in a position to ever make a fitzgibbon game as they on during the week so i cant say who I think should win when I havnt seen any of the teams in action. WIT look slightly better on paper but as weve seen games are not played on paper

I do attend many of the Fitzgibbon matches. There is always some fine hurling played. One can get a bit carried away with what's on offer, Just like witnessing a great game between two Junior hurling sides. I'm not suggesting that Fitz hurling is at junior level, perhaps intermediate level and certainly not senior.

I have witnessed Davy Fitz up close at these matches and was always deplored by his antics. Not only is he mouthing out abuse at everybody but he encourages his players to join in. Disguise it as confrontational, intimidation, passion or whatever but in reality it is nothing short of bullying. The sad thing about this behaviour is that in all likelihood Davy will ruin the fantastic players at his disposal through his antics. Let's remember that it was hard working people who produced this current crop of Clare players. They were brilliantly coached at minor and under 21. It was no accident that they won the senior title last year. In fact when Davy reverted back to the players style of play the year took off for Clare.

My point is that this ongoing bad behaviour is likely to ruin what is a very talented group of players. That's an issue for Clare but his sideline bullying is an issue for the GAA. The next time action is taken by officials let people remember this and not rush to his defence.

Hopefully WIT do it today.

Have a look on the Waterford thread there lads. At least some people are waking up to it and acknowledging it. Not just going Oh he won an all ireland its ok then

• Advertisement

Well done WIT. Against the odds. The silence is deafening on this thread right now.

Well done WIT. Against the odds. The silence is deafening on this thread right now.

Too busy celebrating:D Nearly afraid to post in case someone bits the head off me. Enjoyed the game considering the excertions of yesterday. Thought CIT were very physically strong, probably suffered more with the loss of a couple of key players, but Waterford had that bit of quality up front. Glad of the form Mahony showed over the last 2 weeks and Jake Dillon today. Murphy, Kehoe and Kenny were excellent too. A lot of super points from play but probably needed a goal or 2 to match the excitement of the previous day. Well done WIT

I was surprised the way WIT finished. Completely took over in the last quarter, I thought they would have been drained after the extra time yesterday. Fair play to them though. Overall I didnt think the standard of play was that high. However, all of Jake Dillions points were top class. The full back must have been scratching his head because there wasnt much more he could have done, he kept shunting Dillion out towards the corner flag but he still managed to swing them over from impossible angles. If I was Kilkenny Id be giving Murphy the captain a run outfield, superb reading of the game from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

No silence from me. I'm back with my harp and the same old tune. St. Patrick's Day in Thurles : WIT v. Clare under 21s, at 11a.m. so we can see Mt. Leinster Rangers beat the sugar out of Portumna. You only have to decide if it's to be under 21s of 2013 or 2014, or compromise and have under 21 and a half. If not this year why not next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Why can't people appreciate fitzgibbon for what it is instead of comparing it to other competitions

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Why can't people appreciate fitzgibbon for what it is instead of comparing it to other competitions

Like it or not, a number of people here have compared Fitzgibbon and u-21. One or two including myself have expressed enthusiam for the obvious means of resolving the argument. Anyway, isn't comparison what competitive sport is all about? Unless, of course, you want to introduce Mao Zedong's Chinese experiment where no winners were declared in school games.

Ye,thought it was a good debate and I understand other posters opinion. I made a mistake of trying to diminish one competition to boost an arguement for the other. For me I have recently been interested in the Fitzgbbon Cup, firstly because its just a good hurling competition but also from a point of view of getting a formline on potential, current and maybe other players who you hadn't considered. From a Waterford point of view I can see the benefit only last week when Stephen Roche, Gavin O Brien and Jamie Barron seems right up to the pitch of the Galway game when introduced and if Pauric Mahony has found his range in the last 2 weeks then great.

I like the format of the Fitzgibbon Cup more quality games etc yet the U-21 has that 'top of the ground' quality and old school do or die element to it which makes it so entertaining. Just because last year didn't reach previous levels of excitement is not to say there is not some black belt teams over the years and more getting ready for this summer.

I'm gonna try settle this arguement (look away now if you want). Last September Clare on the strength of U-21 success played Cork with a more Fitzgibbon Cup profile. Clare won .. end of...
    .. but if there was a hooter it could have gone the other way. Them are the margins cheers

I'm gonna try settle this arguement (look away now if you want). Last September Clare on the strength of U-21 success played Cork with a more Fitzgibbon Cup profile. Clare won .. end of... .. but if there was a hooter it could have gone the other way. Them are the margins cheers

Yes, but dammit, don't you want to see the game, to see it put to the test, to see a real good game of hurling? What's happened here is like those fantasy football games where a computer decides. Bring on the real thing,

feargale wrote: »
    Yes, but dammit, don't you want to see the game, to see it put to the test, to see a real good game of hurling? What's happened here is like those fantasy football games where a computer decides. Bring on the real thing,

You proposed the game be played on St.Patricks day? First off its a glorified friendly so both teams wont pay much attention to it.WIT will be on the p*ss for the next two weeks after the win.They've trained hard for the last four or five months and the last thing they want is another game. Not sure how the u21 setup works but i presume they wouldnt be training too hectic at this time of the year or be fully organised with most lads playing fitz or with the Seniors. No one really has the appetitie for it so wont really give any clear indication to settle the arguement.

Leave well enough alone now! I want to believe that Waterford will win the All Ireland on the basis that they will form a top class team from the WIT team! Shur just look at all the fine players that the college have created now for Waterford! Those players have been coached from 8 years of age by the college and are now ready to perform for their county!

Isn't that correct? Well at least that's what I understood was happening in one particular county from a certain poster who has disappeared in recent days!

Leave well enough alone now! I want to believe that Waterford will win the All Ireland on the basis that they will form a top class team from the WIT team! Shur just look at all the fine players that the college have created now for Waterford! Those players have been coached from 8 years of age by the college and are now ready to perform for their county!

Isn't that correct? Well at least that's what I understood was happening in one particular county from a certain poster who has disappeared in recent days!

Indie says WIT are now going on the p1ss ( previous post. ) Take care that that event doesn't overlap with the championship ;)
    Anyway, on a serious note, I have no interest in promoting one county over another here. I just thought the proposed contest would make an interesting and attractive contest as well as putting the argument to bed. The proceeds could go to the injured players fund ( or the WIT p1ss-up fund :D. ) Maybe some would prefer to continue the argument without putting it to the test.

Indie. wrote: »
    You proposed the game be played on St.Patricks day?

September/October then. Last word. Bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

feargale wrote: »
    September/October then. Last word. Bye.

Playing Fitzgibbon teams against U21 teams proves nothing. Unless there is something at stake then it doesn't matter. Fitzgibbon is a higher standard than U21. It's played at a different time of year and that changes the way the Fitz team plays the game.
    You have in the main, a team that stretches from 19 to 25years of age, this is one of the differences. You also have a team the virtually lives together from Sept. to Feb. from different places and so it has a different dynamic. Loosing possession in Fitzgibbon usually results in a score for the other team. U21 is great and usually not cynical. Fitzgibbon is different, not cynical either just different way of hurling.

Yes, I'm back here. Your first sentence says leave well enough alone which I did, thats why I didn't post. However the Waterford GAA thread has been consumed with a border dispute akin to Crimea so I went back here. I had been a champion of the Fitzgibbon Cup long before WIT won it so that has nothing to do with anything.

The reason why I posted first of all was because somebody made a comment that Cork had won nothing in years on this thread. I succinctly replyed the Fitzgibbon Cup (was then forced to expand which dulled the point). I watched the 2012 Final between CIT and UCC and not having seen much of Cork under age previously was suprised at the standard of hurler in the county(ie. Good). I was not suprised they got to an all ireland final in 2013 having got to know players some of those players from the previous year. One of the players that played that day was Waterford's Stephen Daniels. He was an impressive Wing Back Under age and club but didn't get into the County team, he played well for CIT at corner back and subsequently went straight into the County team at corner back. His form at age 8 may or may not have influenced this.

I look at the said competition for what at is and do not get confused with the County Flag waving which often clouds this and other threads. I look for individuals form with a view to bigger things ahead (anyone trying to pick a winner at Cheltenham will understand). There is a lot of players on the Waterford team with Minor, Schools and Senior Munster medals, an addition of Fitzgibbon Cup medals is part of the journey thats all.

3ships,i posted a link to a very good article regards cit by christy o connor regards the fitzgibbon in the cork thread,you may like.

It shows its importance to hurling.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm back here. Your first sentence says leave well enough alone which I did, thats why I didn't post. However the Waterford GAA thread has been consumed with a border dispute akin to Crimea so I went back here. I had been a champion of the Fitzgibbon Cup long before WIT won it so that has nothing to do with anything.

The reason why I posted first of all was because somebody made a comment that Cork had won nothing in years on this thread. I succinctly replyed the Fitzgibbon Cup (was then forced to expand which dulled the point). I watched the 2012 Final between CIT and UCC and not having seen much of Cork under age previously was suprised at the standard of hurler in the county(ie. Good). I was not suprised they got to an all ireland final in 2013 having got to know players some of those players from the previous year. One of the players that played that day was Waterford's Stephen Daniels. He was an impressive Wing Back Under age and club but didn't get into the County team, he played well for CIT at corner back and subsequently went straight into the County team at corner back. His form at age 8 may or may not have influenced this.

I look at the said competition for what at is and do not get confused with the County Flag waving which often clouds this and other threads. I look for individuals form with a view to bigger things ahead (anyone trying to pick a winner at Cheltenham will understand). There is a lot of players on the Waterford team with Minor, Schools and Senior Munster medals, an addition of Fitzgibbon Cup medals is part of the journey thats all.

Fair comments there. Fully agree that winning a Fitzgibbon Cup medal is part of the journey. Most players, from Waterford, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, etc, playing Fitz would have already won Provincial and All Ireland medals at schools, minor, under21 and possibly even at club level. Nothing beats winning with your club and/or county. Clare players who have lined out and been successful with Fitz teams were already well on the road having been hugely successful with their County at minor and then under 21. It was what THEY brought to the Fitz teams rather than what the Fitz teams did for them.

Those Clare minor teams were well coached and managed by Clare personnel. This followed through to under 21. The personnel responsible for this deserve great credit for what Clare achieved at those levels and indeed at senior last year.

Proper structures within counties reap dividends for underage, schools, minor, under 21 etc. In turn, the Fitz teams benefit from this.

Fair comments there. Fully agree that winning a Fitzgibbon Cup medal is part of the journey. Most players, from Waterford, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, etc, playing Fitz would have already won Provincial and All Ireland medals at schools, minor, under21 and possibly even at club level. Nothing beats winning with your club and/or county. Clare players who have lined out and been successful with Fitz teams were already well on the road having been hugely successful with their County at minor and then under 21. It was what THEY brought to the Fitz teams rather than what the Fitz teams did for them.

Those Clare minor teams were well coached and managed by Clare personnel. This followed through to under 21. The personnel responsible for this deserve great credit for what Clare achieved at those levels and indeed at senior last year.

Proper structures within counties reap dividends for underage, schools, minor, under 21 etc. In turn, the Fitz teams benefit from this.

This is a very myopic view. You are dealing in absolutes where only one thing is a only factor. Brian Lohan is an example; struggled to make the Clare Minors but came alive over 4 season of winter training in UL. The man just changed as a hurler over those time. However, it wasn't UL that made him, it was everything in himself, club and college. But UL is where he powered up.

Here was a guy with the best underage club in the country at that time, but the freedom and hurling in UL was a massive factor in his outstanding progress. I saw Brian Lohan rip the field apart for UL in Fitzgibbon final in 2004 at corner back and then at wing back. Are you telling me that winning Fitzgibbon had nothing to do with Lohan and Clare in 95.

Seanie McMahon was the same, I saw Seanie Mc do the same, and he had struggled at U21 in a Munster final. Nicky English etc. each of them gained massively.

As an average hurler who played Fitzgibbon for three years, I never learned more than playing against Cork, Offaly, Limerick, Tipp, Laois and Kilkenny Hurlers who all had different ways of playing.

There are no absolutes.

I know all about the Clare journey having been in Ennis in 09 for a Munster Minor Semi and witnessing the complete turnaround at U-21 level in 2012. Clare reached their target in 2013 but this linear success is not the same for everyone.

Waterford schools have won 4 Harty Cups between 07 and 2013 (previously one in 1953) and been in 5 of the last 6 Munster Minor Finals. Incredible consistency at that level for this county. For whatever reason that form was not brought thru to U-21. Certainly to management structure did not match that in Clare. Without any formlines in U-21 I turn to the Fitzgibbon Cup. I have made this point already.

Brian O Halloran was a star in the above 09 Minor game, had problems with injuries and by 2012 was struggling to have the impact a lot of people had hoped for. In 2013 he was part of a great Mary I run in the Fitzgibbon and was in super form in the League match in Ennis that February. Make of that what you will.

County success is what it is all about, what harm in picking up a few pointers on way.

Of course there are exceptions and examples in all situations. I have great regard for Fitzgibbon and attend many of the matches. I'm fully aware that being involved with Fitz teams can only be good for the better hurlers as well as the average ones. Playing regular hurling can only be good but the breeding ground is at club and county level. If the proper structures are in place at club and county level success will follow. If on the other hand players are missing out on these structures the Fitz will obviously help in the development of those players. However, no matter what system a player will have come through it is unlikely that he will become a Brian Lohan or a Seanie MacMahon just because of playing 3 years hurling with Fitz. No doubt it will help but only because those player have the talent anyway.

Much was been made of the UCC and CIT team and I can understand why. Do those teams not participate in the Cork club championship? What is their success rate? What indeed is the success rate of Cork club teams in Munster not to mention in the All Ireland in the last ten years?

On the other hand look at Clare. They have players involved with various Fitz teams. The Clare County Board implemented underage structures some years ago and are now reaping the rewards. I doubt that the current crop of Clare hurlers would be so outstanding had they not come through that system. Their involvement with Fitz ALONE would never have made them the hurlers they are now and brought the success.

WIT were considered rank outsiders to win the. Fitzgibbon this year. Nobody gave them a hope. All the focus was on UCC, UL, CIT and then LIT. Colm Bonnar and his management team worked away quietly and then pounced when it mattered. It is laughable to read som media "experts" analyse the WIT team now after they won and try to explain it all to us. The contrast between the two teams was very obvious. WIT played a direct game, no fooling about with possession, and were much better disciplined than CIT.

For this thread's record

Thanks to Thinktoomuch for the link

Over to Clare's top Hurling Journalist (Apologies to Marty Morrisey)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/04/defiance-cit-bodes-well-cork-hurling/

For this thread's record

Thanks to Thinktoomuch for the link

Over to Clare's top Hurling Journalist (Apologies to Marty Morrisey)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/04/defiance-cit-bodes-well-cork-hurling/

A pleasure and an honour to post it,a lot of nonense is spoken regards it ,but this article shows it value.

Of course there are exceptions and examples in all situations. I have great regard for Fitzgibbon and attend many of the matches. I'm fully aware that being involved with Fitz teams can only be good for the better hurlers as well as the average ones. Playing regular hurling can only be good but the breeding ground is at club and county level. If the proper structures are in place at club and county level success will follow. If on the other hand players are missing out on these structures the Fitz will obviously help in the development of those players. However, no matter what system a player will have come through it is unlikely that he will become a Brian Lohan or a Seanie MacMahon just because of playing 3 years hurling with Fitz. No doubt it will help but only because those player have the talent anyway.

Much was been made of the UCC and CIT team and I can understand why. Do those teams not participate in the Cork club championship? What is their success rate? What indeed is the success rate of Cork club teams in Munster not to mention in the All Ireland in the last ten years?

On the other hand look at Clare. They have players involved with various Fitz teams. The Clare County Board implemented underage structures some years ago and are now reaping the rewards. I doubt that the current crop of Clare hurlers would be so outstanding had they not come through that system. Their involvement with Fitz ALONE would never have made them the hurlers they are now and brought the success.

WIT were considered rank outsiders to win the. Fitzgibbon this year. Nobody gave them a hope. All the focus was on UCC, UL, CIT and then LIT. Colm Bonnar and his management team worked away quietly and then pounced when it mattered. It is laughable to read som media "experts" analyse the WIT team now after they won and try to explain it all to us. The contrast between the two teams was very obvious. WIT played a direct game, no fooling about with possession, and were much better disciplined than CIT.

UCC and CIT players who are with cork senior teams or divisional teams cannot play with the college. That completely undermines your point about the Fitzgibbon teams in Cork Championships.

Secondly. WIT didn't make the mistake UL made a few years ago of playing a possession hurling game that you can't sustain over two consecutive matches. Bonnar is around long enough to know that.

Fitzgibbon predictions are usually nonsense. WIT are always good. I remember walking into the LIT/NUIG Fitz semi final a few years ago and NUIG were something like 8-1 outsiders to win. A nonsense bet.

I haven't followed this thread from the start, but if someone ever said Fitzgibbon alone would make a hurler then that would be foolish. As is the point that County board structure are responsible... That would be like saying all the Clare players were on drugs and booze from 2003 - 2007.....

Now here's a question for you. How many of Clare's hurlers have not played Fitzgibbon? I would say none and you can replicate that across nearly all serious hurling counties.

A pleasure and an honour to post it,a lot of nonense is spoken regards it ,but this article shows it value.

Enda McEvoy includes the WIT win in terms of happier days ahead for Waterford in todays examiner.

So Enda along with Christy O Connor and previously posted links to Diarmuid O Flynn, Eamonn Cregan and Cyril Farrell. I am happy to leave it at that

Enda McEvoy includes the WIT win in terms of happier days ahead for Waterford in todays examiner.

So Enda along with Christy O Connor and previously posted links to Diarmuid O Flynn, Eamonn Cregan and Cyril Farrell. I am happy to leave it at that

My last post on it. Waterford players brought their talent to the WIT team, I'm sure we will all agree that reverse isn't the case! The ground work was done at underage level in Waterford long before the players went to college. In some counties the structures aren't or weren't there so the most logical place to look to for County senior material is/was the Fitzgibbon. It is clearly then in some posters interests to over inflate the importance of Fitzgibbon hurling.

As I said previously, I attend many Fitz games and enjoy them for what they're worth. They fill a void both for players trying to make a breakthrough with their county and for the supporters at a quiet time of year on the hurling front.

That's my view and I respect anybody else's view of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Comhairle Ardoideachais and the Irish Daily Mail are delighted to announce the Irish Daily Mail Future Champions Teams of the 2014 Irish Daily Mail Higher Education Championships.

Those selected will be honoured at a function on the evening of Monday, April 14.

After two memorable weekends in Belfast hosted by Queen’s University as part of the Queen’s GAA Festival, UCC were victorious by the narrowest of margins over UUJ in the Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup final while WIT re-claimed the Irish Daily Mail Fitzgibbon Cup for the first time since 2008 after defeating CIT in the final.

St.Patrick’s College (Drumcondra), Cavan Institute & The Cadet College also claimed Irish Daily Mail Football Championships while NUI Maynooth, IT Tallaght & Robert Gordon University (Aberdeen) were successful in the Irish Daily Mail Senior Hurling competitions.

Both of the premier competition champions are well represented on their respective teams (UCC (8), WIT(6)), while losing finalists UUJ(4) and CIT (4) also make a significant contribution. In terms of counties, Cork and Kerry both have the most representatives on the football team (4 each) while in the hurling Cork are prominent once again with 4 selections, the most of any county.

Irish Daily Mail Gaelic Football Future Champions 2014
    1. Brian Kelly (UCC/Kerry)
    2. Barry Tierney (UUJ/Tyrone)
    3. David Culhane (UCC/Kerry)
    4. Fergal McNamara (UCC/Kerry)
    5. Tomás Clancy (UCC/Cork)
    6. Conor Dorman (UCC/Cork)
    7. Luke Keaney (UUJ/Donegal)
    8. Niall McKeever (UUJ/Antrim)
    9. Ian Maguire (UCC/Cork)
    10. Diarmuid Murtagh (St. Pat's/Roscommon)
    11. Ronan O'Neill (UUJ/Tyrone)
    12. John Heslin (UCD/Westmeath)
    13. Paul Geaney (UCC/Kerry)
    14. Paddy McBrearty (NUIM/Donegal)
    15. Conor Cox (UCC/Kerry)

Irish Daily Mail Hurling Future Champions 2014
    1. Aaron Murphy (LIT/Limerick)
    2. Alan Dempsey (LIT/Limerick)
    3. David Glynn (UCC/Kilkenny)
    4. Tomás Lawrence (CIT/Cork)
    5. Eoin Keane (CIT/Cork)
    6. Eoin Murphy (WIT/Kilkenny)