Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falls from grace in football

• 09-01-2014 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Ok, firstly, let's not make this about Man Utd's recent form.

I was shocked to hear that John Gregory is currently the manager if lowly Crawley Town. This man once managed Villa at the summit of the PL, at this time a little over ten years ago, as well as reaching an FA cup final.

Can you think of any other examples?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

David Bentley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liam Miller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I was shocked to hear that John Gregory is currently the manager if lowly Crawley Town. This man once managed Villa at the summit of the PL, at this time a little over ten years ago, as well as reaching an FA cup final.

I remember hearing that Gregory blamed the lack of offers of work on rumours started about him taking bungs. Did get near a kob in England after his time with qpr iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Didn't Neil Webb end up being a postman, lost the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Also, Keith Gillespie...Man U, Newcastle....Longford Utd & Glentoran. Currently peddling a book, another one who spunked the lot on the horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Gretna FC were a non league football club that got into the scottish 3rd division they were promoted to the 2nd division, the next season they were promoted to 1st division (also lost in Scottish Cup final on penaltys so got into the uefa cup qualifying stages), then promotion into the SPL. The 3rd Division 2nd Division and 1st Division tittles were won in successive seasons. In the SPL they had to ground share, they started to struggle and just when there hopes of survival were hanging by a thread they got points taken of them for going into Administration. So they were relegated back to Division 1 but there financial situation was not deemed suitable for Division 1 so the SFL forced them to go straight to Division 3 but soon after that was anounced and before the season could begin they were liquadated!

Portsmouth would be another good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Still can't believe Garry O' Connor is still only 30. Played a load of games for Scotland and got big money deals to Lokomotiv Moskow and Birmingham. Recently seen looking rather rotund while on community service after being caught with cocaine.

Jam1_1770364a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Freaking love Gary O Connor. Fine player. Got big headed alright though. That tweet he sent to Karen Brady was not his finest moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Danny Higginbotham, one time a premier league player. Now a defender for Altrincham and strangely Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Michael Johnson is a definite standout for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was Gregory not sacked from Villia for "gross misconduct" about 11 years ago, this making him unemployable for years.
    It was never revealed as far as I can recall what the "gross misconduct" was.
    Maybe more knowledgeable fans can enlighten me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Gazza I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Gazza

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ronaldinho to a certain degree, his party lifestyle had him in decline before what most would consider a players peak years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was Gregory not sacked from Villia for "gross misconduct" about 11 years ago, this making him unemployable for years.
    It was never revealed as far as I can recall what the "gross misconduct" was.
    Maybe more knowledgeable fans can enlighten me.

Gregory resigned from Villa. He made reference to pressures of the job at the time. There wasn't any sort of fall out between him and Ellis I'm pretty sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ronaldinho to a certain degree, his party lifestyle had him in decline before what most would consider a players peak years.

He has bounced back in fairness. Shame about the years he wasted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Corholio wrote: »
    Gregory resigned from Villa. He made reference to pressures of the job at the time. There wasn't any sort of fall out between him and Ellis I'm pretty sure.

I must be thinking of the wrong person, or club, or both.

I must be thinking of the wrong person, or club, or both.

You not thinking of Poyet @ Brighton by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

-One of the most glaringly obvious ones from recent times; Leeds United. From the 1960's up until 2002 or so, they were perennial challengers and a tricky team that nobody liked to play against. Come 2004, they were relegated from the Top Flight, relegated again to the third tier for a period, before finding themselves languishing in the Championship ever since. This is a team that were in the latter stages of the Champions League a few short seasons before finding themselves in League 1. Their fall from grace was stunning, astounding and very frightening; it was a huge reminder to clubs of the power of money and the risks of overspending and gambling on qualifying for the Champions League. The last team to win the old Division 1, before the Premier League started, too.

-In terms of players, I can't remember his name, but he was a young starlet at Manchester City's academy. He was frequently touted as the next big thing for English football and for Man City. A couple of injuries, believing his own hype and generally treating his body like an amusement park... he was photographed looking incredibly unfit and bloated. He was only in his 20's in the photo, but could easily have passed for a man 10-15 years older. He played maybe once or twice (if that) for the senior squad in his time. He then vanished from the public consciousness. I do not know if he is still playing or not, and for the life of me, I cannot think of his name.

-I know he still plays for Brazilian teams, is still one of the most natural and gifted talents of the last 25 years, is still held up as one of the all time greats, but my god, Ronaldinho fell from the lofty heights he occupied pretty hard. In his prime with Barcelona, he was simply untouchable. He had style, grace, skill, flair and was just an unbelievable joy to watch playing. His from-a-standing-position goal against Chelsea was just stunning.

But a naked dose of overconfidence, a belief that he would never lose his form and too many nights in the nightclubs of Barcelona saw him begin to lose touch. And a young usurper from Argentina started to impose himself on Barcelona. Injury did play a large role in his decline at Barca, but he did contribute greatly to his own downfall. He and Deco were allegedly brilliant at propping up bars in the drinking dens.

A solid if unspectacular stint at Milan followed. Flashes of brilliance, but never hitting the same heights as he had at Barcelona. The magic was gone. Returning to Brazil in 2010, Ronaldinho did recapture some of his prior form. But he is now without a club. A rather ignominious end to such an illustrious career. Not a complete fall from grace as some completed, but instead of becoming an elder statesman-style footballer (á la Pirlo, Totti, etc.) and still wowing crowds well into his 30's, Ronaldinho peaked in his mid-20's and never recovered after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Richie Partridge to an extent depending on how you define falling from grace

Keith Fahy maybe...back in Ireland even though he could still offer clubs in the UK something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Didn't we have a thread on this just a few months ago?

FatherTed wrote: »

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

FatherTed wrote: »

I'm so so sooooooooooooo sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Ariel Ortega

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Franny Jeffers,

Seth Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Adriano. I first saw him when he tore up the '05 Confederations Cup and thought he was the next big Brazilian star after Ronaldinho but he ended up throwing it all way in nightclubs without ever reaching his potential.:(

Try as you might, I don't think you'll find any footballing example Quiet as dramatic as your own fall from grace in the world of mens figure skating

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Royston Drenthe.

Playing for the mighty Real Madrid at only 20, spending 3years there. Now at 26 he's playing league cup games with Reading against Peterborough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Adriano Leite Ribeiro. Once known as L'Imperatore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Try as you might, I don't think you'll find any footballing example Quiet as dramatic as your own fall from grace in the world of mens figure skating

How dare you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

DazMarz wrote: »
    -One of the most glaringly obvious ones from recent times; Leeds United. From the 1960's up until 2002 or so, they were perennial challengers and a tricky team that nobody liked to play against.

Not sure you could call them perennial challengers
    They played in old division two from 81-89
    They just escaped relegation in 93

And if you take out the Revie years back in the late 60s and early 70s challenged for the title on 3 maybe 4 seasons since 1974.

That said with the massive support they have they should be easily able to get out of the championship.

Supat Rungratsamee :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

DazMarz wrote: »

-In terms of players, I can't remember his name, but he was a young starlet at Manchester City's academy. He was frequently touted as the next big thing for English football and for Man City. A couple of injuries, believing his own hype and generally treating his body like an amusement park... he was photographed looking incredibly unfit and bloated. He was only in his 20's in the photo, but could easily have passed for a man 10-15 years older. He played maybe once or twice (if that) for the senior squad in his time. He then vanished from the public consciousness. I do not know if he is still playing or not, and for the life of me, I cannot think of his name.

Michael Johnson, I think his name was.

Brian Little was linked with Sligo Rovers last year, his last job was somewhere in the non-leagues, John Gregory is also somewhere down there and while I'm on the Villa thing, Lee Hendrie is fairly well documented, he's been strutting his stuff in the non-leagues for some time.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yup Michael Johnson. Had forgotten about him, just googled him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Denilson
    Gretna
    Leeds United
    Ronaldinho
    David O Leary
    Alan Curbishley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Adriano. I first saw him when he tore up the '05 Confederations Cup and thought he was the next big Brazilian star after Ronaldinho but he ended up throwing it all way in nightclubs without ever reaching his potential.:(

Never even made it to what he should have for a year or two, such a waste. Makes me think about Pato and another guy Bayern bought a few years ago Breno. Think he's still in prison now.....

Georgi Kinkladze

Kaka had a fall from grace of sorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Talking of Leeds though ,Thomas Brolin looked a world beater when Leeds signed him but eating all the pies at Elland road turned him into a portly waster.

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Never even made it to what he should have for a year or two, such a waste. Makes me think about Pato and another guy Bayern bought a few years ago Breno. Think he's still in prison now.....

Adriano had a few mental issues in fairness to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Freaking love Gary O Connor. Fine player. Got big headed alright though. That tweet he sent to Karen Brady was not his finest moment.

what was the tweet?

Remember this Nut Job?

288061.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How has Fernando Torres not been mentioned ? Gone from one of the most feared strikers, to well Torres

Rangers. For the most domestically successful club in the world, a club that four years previously had been in a UEFA cup final to end up in such a financial state that a newco had to be formed and the oldco liquidated is unprecedented.

what was the tweet?

Something along the lines of Karen Brady congratulating him on signing for Birmingham and him in turn congratulating her for signing such a good player

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

major bill wrote: »
    Remember this Nut Job?

attachment.php?attachmentid=288061&d=1389295650

Gravesen?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Something along the lines of Karen Brady congratulating him on signing for Birmingham and him in turn congratulating her for signing such a good player

In fairness, he was probably coked out of his brain when he tweeted that! :pac:

Gravesen?

Stig Tofting I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Just sayin' >> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056777797

• Advertisement
Advertisement