Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falls from grace in football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Freddy adu... after all the hype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Dempsey wrote: »
    Stig Tofting I think

Didn't he witness his father murder his mother or something like that, ended up in jail himself

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

How has Fernando Torres not been mentioned ? Gone from one of the most feared strikers, to well Torres

Still playing Premiership football. Won the CL, Europa, Euro 2012 whilst picking up the golden boot for that. Will probably win the Fa cup and the league this season.

Hardly comparable to players falling into non league teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

what was the tweet?
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    Something along the lines of Karen Brady congratulating him on signing for Birmingham and him in turn congratulating her for signing such a good player

That is the one. I google it but shocked did not pop up. I search around see if can find it in hibs forum later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Adrian mutu
    That fella from everton from 10 urs ago who is now in jail...branch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Didn't he witness his father murder his mother or something like that, ended up in jail himself

Father murdered his mother and then shot himself, imagine any kid coming home to that! :eek:

Done jail time for nutting someone!

retalivity wrote: »
    Adrian mutu

Mark Ward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

kryogen wrote: »
    Kaka had a fall from grace of sorts

You seen any Milan games lately?

He's the one shining light in a very, very dark period in Milan's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

A lot of very, very short falls being posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

retalivity wrote: »
    Adrian mutu

Michael Branch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I am pie wrote: »
    Didn't Neil Webb end up being a postman, lost the lot.

he always had a great delivery could never stamp himself on a game though.:pac:
    Kevin Doyle has fallen from grace of late. There was talk of him going to some top 6 teams a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

George Best; left United at around the same age as Beckham did, 27, and that was pretty much his career over, despite about 15 clubs over the next ten years from almost every continent bar Africa I think!

Andy Van Der Meyde is another substance abuser who's life quickly spiralled out of control

Kaka had a fall from grace of sorts

Not having that. Injury halted his career, unlike most of his Brazillian team mates, he's heavily religious and doesn't drink.

Great to see him comeback strong for Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Branch and Ward both had stints in jail. Branch is still behind bars

What about Phil Brown? Talking himself up for the England job at one stage....now manager of Southend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Michael Owen had a pretty big fall from grace, mainly due to injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Not having that. Injury halted his career, unlike most of his Brazillian team mates, he's heavily religious and doesn't drink.

Wish Balotelli would follow his example but I already gave up on that.
    I'd bring up Robinho out of anyone at Milan. Michael Owen fair fizzled out too, anyone remember him doing anything at Stoke?
    Besides being insulted by the dull Alan Hansen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Albert Luque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Moneymaker wrote: »
    You seen any Milan games lately?

He's the one shining light in a very, very dark period in Milan's history.

Thats why I said of sorts, he is returning to form after a pretty torrid time at Madrid, went there as one of the top players in the world, he wasted away there. The move back to Milan has rejuventated him some what.

Hes not the only shining light either by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So Kaka didnt go from being one of the best in the world to being on the peripheral at Madrid?

Dunno how else you define that is not a fall from grace of sorts!

Starting to get a bit lame now.

Kolo Toure. Used to play for table topping Man City, now plays for Liverpool in lowly fourth.

Oh, the shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

George Weahs erm...cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dempsey wrote: »
    You not thinking of Poyet @ Brighton by any chance?

Nope, that was to recent.
    I just checked it and it was actually Gregory who I was think of
    He was sacked from Derby in 2003 for misconduct, resulting court cases meant that he could not manage other clubs for a number of years after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Hes not the only shining light either by the way

???

So Kaka didnt go from being one of the best in the world to being on the peripheral at Madrid?

Dunno how else you define that is not a fall from grace of sorts!

He was good for Madrid when he played, being injured months at a time would of course affect him. But hardly a fall from grace now he's back to playing his best football again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not quite the same level as some mentioned but John Paul "Joxer" Kelly.

Was well thought of as a youth in Liverpool but left due to supposed homesickness.

Joined Bohs back in Ireland and was a regular in our double winning season in 08.

However was released at the end of the season and joined Drogs, where he left 12 games into the season.

Doesn't play football anymore (he's 26 now) and by all accounts has trouble with drink/drugs.

Real talent wasted.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That is the one. I google it but shocked did not pop up. I search around see if can find it in hibs forum later.

When O'Connor joined Blues in 2007, then-chief executive Karren Brady told him, "Congratulations on signing for the club". Modest Garry replied: "No, congratulations to you. You've got one hell of a player."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ronaldinho's suposed to be signing for Besiktas today.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Gary Gillespie for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

But hardly a fall from grace now he's back to playing his best football again.

A fall doesn't mean you can't get good again, but it's still a fall.

A fall doesn't mean you can't get good again, but it's still a fall.

Nasri used to play for table topping Arsenal, now he has fallen to Man City, in second.

Still a fall. Same as Gregory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Don't think anybody has mentioned Maradona yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Aidy Boothroyd.

Managed in the top division with Watford, touted as being one of best young managers in England and ambition to be England coach.

Fast forward a few years and a couple of sackings.

Sacked by team bottom of football league after dismantling an average team and making it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Danny Higginbotham, one time a premier league player. Now a defender for Altrincham and strangely Gibraltar.

:confused: He's 35 and played in the Premier League with Stoke until 33/34. That's like saying Teddy Sheringham or someone used to be a Premier League player but isn't now.
    Royston Drenthe.

Playing for the mighty Real Madrid at only 20, spending 3years there. Now at 26 he's playing league cup games with Reading against Peterborough.

I remember seeing him in the U20 world cup, after which Madrid signed him and thinking he was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

major bill wrote: »

Keith Fahy maybe...back in Ireland even though he could still offer clubs in the UK something

Championship to no football to Champions league ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

El Hadji Diouf had a great world cup in 2002, his career went downhill when he joined Liverpool.

Alan Smith Having been tipped for International and Premier League success, Smith’s career was on the up during Peter Risdale’s era of overspending at Leeds United. Despite earning 19 England caps and reaching a UEFA Champions League semi-final, Leeds were relegated in Smith’s final year and he controversially joined rivals Manchester United. After struggling upfront at Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson moved the tough tackler back into centre midfield but a change of position failed to rekindle any sort of form and Smith has barely scored a career goal since. A broken leg hastened his departure from Old Trafford but after an ill fated spell at Newcastle United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

LOL DFX Aye Alan Smith was an example of how Alex Ferguson could destroy a player.

Andrei Shevchenko at Chelsea was one of the greatest flops in history and it had a ripple effect on Mourinho. How could something so good go so badly?

I knew a lad that went from playing in the Tipp South League to the Tipp North League. He learned all about farmers fields then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What the hell is LOL DFX?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems to be at the start of all his posts from the last 2 hours or so :confused:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

A mild form of tourettes, apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Danny Higginbotham, one time a premier league player. Now a defender for Altrincham and strangely Gibraltar.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25668040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Gaizka Mendieta.
    Was one of the most sought after midfielders in Europe and went to Lazio for over €45m in 2001. Was one of the most expensive transfers of that time.

Ended up on loan at Middlesbrough 2 years later

Gaizka Mendieta.
    Was one of the most sought after midfielders in Europe and went to Lazio for over €45m in 2001. Was one of the most expensive transfers of that time.

Ended up on loan at Middlesbrough 2 years later

Didn't Claudio Lopez & Ivan De le Pena go there at a similar time and suffer similar falls from grace? I know De le Pena went back to Espanyol and did well, strange all the same though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Denilson comes to mind, however I'm not sure he ever had a pedestal to fall from, at least not the one that was portrayed.

Worlds most expensive player in 1998 and the disappeared in smoke. I remember all the kids in the school yard talking about him when he signed for Betis and then within a year no one knew where he was or what he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Denilson comes to mind, however I'm not sure he ever had a pedestal to fall from, at least not the one that was portrayed.

Worlds most expensive player in 1998 and the disappeared in smoke. I remember all the kids in the school yard talking about him when he signed for Betis and then within a year no one knew where he was or what he was doing.

More to do with the buyout clause then anything.

remember at the time thinking what happens if they get relegated......1 year later.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jimmy from fair city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Ronaldinho's suposed to be signing for Besiktas today.

He signed a contract extension with Mineiro i believe. pure speculation in the papers, as always.

Quaresma should be mentioned really, once dubbed to be the next best thing, as good if not better than Ronaldo when he was young.
    went to Barcelona from Sporting, fell out with rijkaard at the time.
    went to Porto, 2 great seasons.
    transfer to Inter where he quickly fell out of favour with Mourinho.
    Loaned to Chelsea, played decent in a game but very little else.
    Went to Turkey and Besiktas, had a decent spell but was overshadowed at the end.
    Off to UAE and Al alhi where he was again let go after only about 9 games.

Resigned at Porto there at the start of Jan, hoping for better things.

Such a talent, his youtube videos alone are very good watches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Completely forgot about Quaresma. God, if ever there was a case of the ego ruining it more than anything... He could have been brilliant. But his head was way too far up his own arse...

• Advertisement
Advertisement