Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falls from grace in football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

DazMarz wrote: »
    Completely forgot about Quaresma. God, if ever there was a case of the ego ruining it more than anything... He could have been brilliant. But his head was way too far up his own arse...

aye, still a brilliant talent none the less, just ruined it for himself.
    Still has a couple of years to produce something, although i feel Porto signed him more as a shirt sales gimmick.
    I might even buy one, a reason for a Porto shirt. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Mads Timm, on the books of Man Utd ended up in jail I think. Also, I know Bradford were never a massive club but 2 seasons in the premier league to League 2 is a big drop through the divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Lee Sharpe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

In 2000-01 Ronnie Wallwork played enough games for Manchester United to earn a Premiership winners' medal. But his career also saw him banned from football for life for attacking a referee, although the ban was later reduced.

He was named the Baggies' player of the year in 2004-05 season when the club narrowly beat relegation on the last day of the season.

That was to be a high point in a career which was further interrupted in 2006 when he was stabbed by the ex-partner of his girlfriend.

And Wallwork, 34, has now been jailed for 15 months at Preston Crown Court after admitting three counts of handling stolen cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The same names pop on this usually so just a random one that is not majorly bad but still not good.
    Peter Taylor was Leicester Manager and got to be caretaker manager for England in 1 game against Italy, obviously it was only 1 game but still high enough prestige and you must be doing something right. He gave David Beckham the armband for the first time.

Anyway fast forward 13 years and he worked his way down the leagues, usually as a caretaker manager or on a very short term deal, to managing Bahrain recently and currently interim manager of Gillingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

efb wrote: »
    Jimmy from fair city

Was it Leeds he used to play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Still playing Premiership football. Won the CL, Europa, Euro 2012 whilst picking up the golden boot for that. Will probably win the Fa cup and the league this season.

Hardly comparable to players falling into non league teams.

I agree with your post, but the bolded part is quite a statement, either you're an incredibly bias Chelsea fan, or you don't know what probably means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Calum Davenport - http://www.englandfootballblog.com/2012/11/05/the-life-lesson-of-calum-davenport/

Touted as a future England international when he went to West Ham but went off the rails in a big way, including losing 50% of his blood after being stabbed.

Just turned 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes, yes I know it's the SPL

Marco Negri scored 32 goals in 30 games for Rangers

Suffered an eye injury during a game of squash and missed the next season. Transferred to Bologna but make just a handful of appearances in the next two years.

Got some offers from Seria B clubs and his career ended a few years later. Never again hit the form before his injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Aidy Boothroyd.

Managed in the top division with Watford, touted as being one of best young managers in England and ambition to be England coach.

Fast forward a few years and a couple of sackings.

Sacked by team bottom of football league after dismantling an average team and making it worse.

Good shout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Alex Nyarko at Everton.

Had a good African nations in 2000.
    Signed for Everton didn't look half the player
    A fan confronted him on the pitch and after that he went on loan to Monaco and PSG.

Ended up playing for a Swiss team but got let go from there too.

*Now that I think of it alot of players at Everton seem to hit hard times :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Shocked nobody said Nottingham Forest yet. Double European cup winners that have dropped down the leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

MR NINE wrote: »
    I agree with your post, but the bolded part is quite a statement, either you're an incredibly bias Chelsea fan, or you don't know what probably means

I'm an Arsenal fan, and saying Chelsea will win the Fa cup isn't the maddest statement. My point was someone who has the chance to win all these things hasn't "fallen from grace".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Zico wrote: »
    LOL DFX Aye Alan Smith was an example of how Alex Ferguson could destroy a player.

Andrei Shevchenko at Chelsea was one of the greatest flops in history and it had a ripple effect on Mourinho. How could something so good go so badly?

Because he wasn't a player mourinho wanted or suited his style of play.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Calum Davenport - http://www.englandfootballblog.com/2012/11/05/the-life-lesson-of-calum-davenport/

Touted as a future England international when he went to West Ham but went off the rails in a big way, including losing 50% of his blood after being stabbed.

Just turned 31.

did he go off the rails??

Didn't he and his family get attacked by a jealous boyfriend of his sister who absolutely viciously destroyed his legs with multiple stabbings in a frenzied knife attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Agueroooo wrote: »
    did he go off the rails??

Didn't he and his family get attacked by a jealous boyfriend of his sister who absolutely viciously destroyed his legs with multiple stabbings in a frenzied knife attack?

If I remember correctly, Davenport had attacked his sister so her b/f stabbed him. Might have to Google it to be sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Davenport had attacked his sister so her b/f stabbed him. Might have to Google it to be sure though.

Davenport was acquitted of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Steve Staunton's Managerial Career.

Started with Ireland, and only had a brief spell at Darlington and a few lower league scouting roles afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Luton Town.

Oxford United.

Shamrock Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Adrian Mutu

Signed near the beginning of Abramovich's reign at Chelsea for €22.5m. Started well but tailed off. Then he failed a drug test, received a 7-month ban and had his contract with Chelsea terminated

He was also drawn into a lengthy legal battle with Chelsea because of his drug use, as they accused him of breach of contract. He eventually had to pay them over €17m

Following his ban he managed to resurrect his career at Juventus and Fiorentina, until he received another 6-month ban for failing another doping test

Since then he's moved on to have less success at Cesena and Ajaccio, is currently playing for Petrolul Ploiești in his native Romania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Biased. The word in that context is biased. Biased. You can hold a bias, and you can be biased, you cannot be bias.

Apologies. But that and "top draw" are my 2 biggest football fan message board posting bug bears lol

I'm an Arsenal fan, and saying Chelsea will win the Fa cup isn't the maddest statement. My point was someone who has the chance to win all these things hasn't "fallen from grace".

I know, and I agree with your point, he has hardly fallen from grace given what he has won and may win with Chelsea. But saying Chelsea will probably win the league and fa cup is a big statement, its far more likely not to happen than it is to happen. Anyway, I'm being pedantic and its an irrelevant argument so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Asamoah Gyan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Championship to no football to Champions league ???

Irish International Player that was originally selected for the euro's who now finds himself back playing in Ireland, a player that should have atleast stayed at the level he was playing at.Fair enough he made the decision to come home and I am delighted he is back but it's a drop lets not kid ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paully D wrote: »
    Asamoah Gyan.

He was just named in the top 10 African players of the year and is making a fortune playing in UAE.

IMO that's not really a fall from grace and I'd say he is very happy with himself.

But if not playing in a top league is a fall from grace then he has.

• Advertisement

He was just named in the top 10 African players of the year and is making a fortune playing in UAE.

IMO that's not really a fall from grace and I'd say he is very happy with himself.

But if not playing in a top league is a fall from grace then he has.

He's making a killing in the UAE, won another title with his team and scored 56 goals in 52 games for them! Might not be the best league but I'd say he's loving it over there.

I'd class a fall from grace as someone like Michael Johnson. All that talent and then drink and gambling getting in the way. Or the players getting arrested or banned for drug use :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Adriano has to be up there...at one stage the best striker on the planet, only 31 now which is crazy...he should be Brazil's leading line for the world cup but he threw it all away...had some desperate times in his life but he shoulda been given the help to keep going...was always one of my favourite players...a real shame

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Daemos wrote: »
    Adrian Mutu

Signed near the beginning of Abramovich's reign at Chelsea for €22.5m. Started well but tailed off. Then he failed a drug test, received a 7-month ban and had his contract with Chelsea terminated

He was also drawn into a lengthy legal battle with Chelsea because of his drug use, as they accused him of breach of contract. He eventually had to pay them over €17m

Following his ban he managed to resurrect his career at Juventus and Fiorentina, until he received another 6-month ban for failing another doping test

Since then he's moved on to have less success at Cesena and Ajaccio, is currently playing for Petrolul Ploiești in his native Romania

He's 35 and has consistently had a strike rate of 1/3 over his whole club career with 35 international goals. One does not simply resurrect one's career at Juventus. Doesn't belong here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

George Graham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

major bill wrote: »
    Irish International Player that was originally selected for the euro's who now finds himself back playing in Ireland, a player that should have atleast stayed at the level he was playing at.Fair enough he made the decision to come home and I am delighted he is back but it's a drop lets not kid ourselves.

^^ he decided this, rest of the players on this list didnt decide to make a move like this, sort of forced to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just a note on Lee Hendrie, after blowing it all (fortune and career) he suffered depression and attempted suicide.

He now plays for Basford United in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division and does work with young kids wanting to make a career as footballers basically warning them of the dangers that comes with taking the football lifestyle for granted.

Definitely a fall from grace but nice to see that he is trying to help others learn from his mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Was actually just wondering what happened these lads the other day:

Sam Dalla Bona
    - hot prospect back in the early 00's and highly regarded.

Moved from Chelsea to Milan in '02 (I think) and never made an impact.

He made a load of loan signings with a move to Napoli between them where he failed to make any kind of impact.

He now resides in the Italian 4th tier.

Kerlon - Brazilian (linked with United at one stage) famous for dribbling in a 'seal like' manner. Another hot prospect - moved to Inter a few years ago and has never made an appearance.

Has had a few loan spells, but nothing came of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Freddy Adu..

At one stage the "next Pele" - now without a club..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Adu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jimmy Traore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Our Year wrote: »
    Jimmy Traore

he punched well above his weight for a long time :D

major bill wrote: »
    he punched well above his weight for a long time :D

Champions League winner, Jimmy Troare.

Premier league winner, Luke Chadwick.

COYVB wrote: »
    Biased. The word in that context is biased. Biased. You can hold a bias, and you can be biased, you cannot be bias.

Apologies. But that and "top draw" are my 2 biggest football fan message board posting bug bears lol

No need to apologise, I wouldn't usually bother calling people up on it as my grammar isn't perfect, as proven above, but there are many common errors that grind my gears also. "Could of" definitely takes the biscuit, I see it all the time and it bothers me more than it should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Luton Town.

Oxford United.

Shamrock Rovers.

None of them

1. Luton were a Div 1 team in the 50s and again the 80s, they were rarely a high profile club
    They were a bit like Fulham or Wigan are these days
    Went down to 4th tier in the 90s then back up to 2nd in the 00s and then down to 5th mainly due to finincial problems and point docking.

2. Oxford Utd - they were only a top flight team for 3 season in the mid 80s, most of their history has been spend well down the pecking orders

3. Shamrock Rover - The most high profile LOI club I'll give you that, but they were only out of the top flight for 1 season, and even though they were homeless for years they still won a few things along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

No need to apologise, I wouldn't usually bother calling people up on it as my grammar isn't perfect, as proven above, but there are many common errors that grind my gears also. "Could of" definitely takes the biscuit, I see it all the time and it bothers me more than it should

Bit of a mute point really, for all intensive purposes mistake like that are a diamond dozen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Bit of a mute point really, for all intensive purposes mistake like that are a diamond dozen

Moot point, not mute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Adu is a strange one, he never grew any bigger from the time he was 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Cherno samba - CM legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Arrow. wrote: »
    Was actually just wondering what happened these lads the other day:

Kerlon - Brazilian (linked with United at one stage) famous for dribbling in a 'seal like' manner. Another hot prospect - moved to Inter a few years ago and has never made an appearance.

Has had a few loan spells, but nothing came of them.

In his defence, he's had enormous problems with injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Oh I wasn't aware of his injuries. Just looked up there - apparently his time at Inter's been decimated by knee injuries.

However, it doesn't appear as though he'd done much at Chievo. Still, he was very young at the time.

Might be a bit harsh to include him alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

may come across as a bit of a **** here but i would prolly do the same.

the fcuk is he at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

This guy...

Adu is a strange one, he never grew any bigger from the time he was 14.

He was probably in his 20's when they said he was 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Moot point, not mute.

Moo point, not moot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He was probably in his 20's when they said he was 14.

Ah yes, when he family moved to the US, 16 years ago, and he was really 17, they pretended he was 8 and enrolled him in elementary school. From there he magically grew several inches, got stronger, faster and went through puberty until he was 14 (but actually in his 20's) and secured professional soccer contract and endorsements. It was all a clever ruse.

You do realise how utterly ****ing retarded this hypothesis is?

The amount of times this bollocks is rolled out in relation to players of african origin on these boards is ****ing disgraceful. I've even seen it on here about players like Lukaku, which is ****ing amazing seeing as he was born in Belgium.

It's borderline racist bolloxology.

Advertisement