Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Theft Waterford Watchdog Community (Facebook)

Options
  • 09-01-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Has anyone else been following the activity on this page? Anti-Theft Waterford Watchdog Community

They've essentially been reporting criminal/suspicious activity in areas around Waterford, for example, positing up something like "I seen a few lads checking houses last night in the Cherrymount area, the guys were in a red Ford Fiesta"

It appears they have also found out about an individual who was convicted of a horrendous crime some years ago. The comments quickly came flooding in about this individual, with rumors circulating the page that he had skipped town (more than likely as a result of threats from this group). Members of the page/group have even been criticizing people who are associated with this particular individual.

I think this page/group is a horrendous idea and I am surprised it hasn't been removed by now. Their intention/agenda is to essentially 'Name and Shame' people who have committed crimes around Waterford by plastering images of them on their page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Joined this Monday night thinking it was going to be a good page informing people of ways to prevent crime etc. quickly removed myself and blocked yesterday. Some horrendous comments and individuals posting. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Joined this Monday night thinking it was going to be a good page informing people of ways to prevent crime etc. quickly removed myself and blocked yesterday. Some horrendous comments and individuals posting. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

The way it's run by the admins is totally wrong.
    The idea itself where they report attempted break ins etc is great but leaving people comment on their posts etc is what is ruining it. Some admins, in my opinion, are turning it into a mob rule sorta thing.
    They should change the setting where no one can post, comment or anything like that.
    Just keep to reporting break ins and attempted/ suspicious activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

It was intially called the Anti Theft Waterford Vigilante Group. Says it all about the brains behind this type of thing really

dzilla wrote: »

It had a purpose when it was alerting people about houses and property getting robbed. Whether people like it or not if someone does a crime and was punished by the law and have served their time then plastering them over facebook is wrong. Another thing I find wrong is them putting peoples pictures up when in all fairness this is the kind of thing that has went wrong on the internet millions of times before with putting the wrong persons picture up. My big worry would be of an innocent person getting blamed and plastered over that site, but I reported the page to facebook just to make them aware of what is going on within that page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Im glad you have posted this as I thought i was the only one who found the whole situation a bit disturbing.

To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't been posted already...

Its all a bit of a joke really. Its called "anti-theft".

Then the last day or so its been nothing but sex pest witch hunting.

Then a petty argurment about non-national taxi drivers.

The tips n tricks about the web cams being used as cctv are very worthwhile buy beyond that its a farce now.

It was originally a source of entertainment for me at how ridiculous some people can be. But now, I'm genuinely concerned with how influential this page can be.

Its all a bit of a joke really. Its called "anti-theft".

Then the last day or so its been nothing but sex pest witch hunting.

Then a petty argurment about non-national taxi drivers.

The tips n tricks about the web cams being used as cctv are very worthwhile buy beyond that its a farce now.

It's just someone trying to get a page with alot of likes and using "community safety" as a front to get a popular page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

My wife saw that red fiesta parked suspiciously around the cork road a few weeks ago.
    so my question is, were they casing houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blaaboy14

i think the page is a great idea i dont know what your all giving out about?? its serving its purpose to the community..your all giving out because its exposing paedopiles living in the area? id much rather be informed theres convicted paedopiles living in the area my children live wouldnt you? who is the page harming? oh its publically exposing a convicted rapist from up the country who decided to move down here and try it on with local girls in thel clubs whos to say he wouldnt have done it down here?? and i think by posting it on the page it has created enough awarness for it to be stopped! he is one of many sick twisted people in this world who deserves no pity!! and also if it was your houses getting broken into im sure it would be a different story im sure you would all be brandishing it on the page for awareness!!

• Advertisement

blaaboy14 wrote: »
    i think the page is a great idea i dont know what your all giving out about?? its serving its purpose to the community..your all giving out because its exposing paedopiles living in the area? id much rather be informed theres convicted paedopiles living in the area my children live wouldnt you? who is the page harming? oh its publically exposing a convicted rapist from up the country who decided to move down here and try it on with local girls in thel clubs whos to say he wouldnt have done it down here?? and i think by posting it on the page it has created enough awarness for it to be stopped! he is one of many sick twisted people in this world who deserves no pity!! and also if it was your houses getting broken into im sure it would be a different story im sure you would all be brandishing it on the page for awareness!!

Very first post, wonder are you connected to the page at all :p

Forgive me, but you only made your account today with your first post being on this thread... Looks a little suspicious... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

your all giving out because its exposing paedopiles

Sore on the arse........ the ould paedopiles.

im one of the 3,500 people who like the page thats all :)

im one of the 3,500 people who like the page thats all :)

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

I for one think its a good idea.
    The crime rate in Waterford has spiralled out of control and we aren't hearing the half of it on local radio or in the local newspapers. If people being aware of how many houses are being burgled and what areas are being targeted makes them more security conscious it can only be a good thing.
    It may also be of some comfort to people who have been burgled to communicate with others in the same boat?

Of course there will be teething problems, just like with every Internet forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

They're on to ye ;-)

The idea behind the page has potential, but like most Facebook pages it becomes a pet of the people who create them. They get a thrill out of the growing likes and feel pressure to please their new "fans".

We all have something in common though, a hatred of thieving scum. They should probably stick to what the page was set up for though, the Dalton's ain't no vigilantes.

Are you not reading all the posts on here.
    I've already said the idea itself is great, fair dues to whoever thought of it, the reports of where burglaries are attempted or happened and so on.
    It's the comments that are ruining the page, well for me anyway. When I was following it all I could see was people trying to instigate mob rule, with their name and shame and we go sort em out. There was even admins at one stage asking for people to message them with names of the robbers and thiefs so they could post it up. This is all well and good if they've been convicted in a court of law, but other than that they're leaving themselves open to lawsuits, especially if the wrong person is named. Maybe this has stopped as it's been a week or two since I stopped watching it.
    Of course there were plenty of other people posting natural comments regarding their disgust of what happened but it was the others that were out to ruin it.
    I only mentioned closing off comments as then the "followers" of the page would still get all the benefits of the page without having to see the vileness and bull**** from some people.

They're on to ye ;-)

The idea behind the page has potential, but like most Facebook pages it becomes a pet of the people who create them. They get a thrill out of the growing likes and feel pressure to please their new "fans".

We all have something in common though, a hatred of thieving scum. They should probably stick to what the page was set up for though, the Dalton's ain't no vigilantes.

Agreed

They're onto us!

6gWnBh4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

I think its a good idea and cannot see what is wrong with how its run? The admin on it have repeatedly said that they do not condone any violence or threats and will remove and ban anyone doing so. The paedo thing is relevant- I contacted a good friend of mine who's daughter was friends with the man named, she was horrified as her daughter has personal family pics up and neither wanted these to be viewed by him. This is the problem in Ireland with people brushing stuff under the carpet- as responsible parents we should take these alerts seriously- it only takes one chance encounter to put a child in terrible danger. If I remember it wasn't actually the put up by the page but by a worried member?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Cowboy2014

scum

purplepug wrote: »
    I think its a good idea and cannot see what is wrong with how its run? The admin on it have repeatedly said that they do not condone any violence or threats and will remove and ban anyone doing so. The paedo thing is relevant- I contacted a good friend of mine who's daughter was friends with the man named, she was horrified as her daughter has personal family pics up and neither wanted these to be viewed by him. This is the problem in Ireland with people brushing stuff under the carpet- as responsible parents we should take these alerts seriously- it only takes one chance encounter to put a child in terrible danger. If I remember it wasn't actually the put up by the page but by a worried member?

Maybe the admins have changed their tune but at one stage they wanted people to pm them with the names of the thieves so they could let everyone know who they were. That was the first worrying sign I seen there

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Maybe not on the same level of what could potentially happen here but have a read of this article and see what can happen
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10409326/Man-accused-of-being-paedophile-and-murdered-for-photographing-garden-vandals.html

This poor man did nothing was accused in the wrong and was burnt to death.

the man that they were exposing on the page was a convicted rapist of a young girl up the country with numerous people clarifying it was him the page made sure of that before they posted anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I would say that it serves a purpose, like everything it is open to abuse if it is not monitored properly. I would want to know if a paedo was living close to my family, I would also want to know of suspicious activity in my area as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I thought it was a good page to start with but some of the comments are over the top and all it takes is one mistaken identity which could easily happen and then who'll be responsible for that.

purplepug wrote: »
    But the admin only posted this chaps name as he was convicted and therefore they could legally do it? Also he was up last year on another case of assaulting a girl in the park? I'm confused as it doesn't sound like you have looked around or read their page at all?
    is that for me?? lol if it was i dont know why but ok lol..as i was agreeing with you by saying they made sure they clarified it was him before they posted anything as others were saying what happens when you get the wrong person i was clarifying that he was a convicted rapist and the page made sure of that before posting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

lol sorry no not you :) Did I mispost! Apologies.

• Advertisement

no ur fine i just didnt know if it was for me is all lol

Advertisement