Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Theft Waterford Watchdog Community (Facebook)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

But the admin only posted this chaps name as he was convicted and therefore they could legally do it? Also he was up last year on another case of assaulting a girl in the park? I'm confused as it doesn't sound like you have looked around or read their page at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Cowboy2014

what do u mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

It had a purpose when it was alerting people about houses and property getting robbed. Whether people like it or not if someone does a crime and was punished by the law and have served their time then plastering them over facebook is wrong. Another thing I find wrong is them putting peoples pictures up when in all fairness this is the kind of thing that has went wrong on the internet millions of times before with putting the wrong persons picture up. My big worry would be of an innocent person getting blamed and plastered over that site, but I reported the page to facebook just to make them aware of what is going on within that page.

The photo of the fellow they posted is a convicted sex offender, in my view people have a right if there is a convicted sex offender living in their area amongst them, judging by some of the comments on the page some people knew him and were shocked to find out about his past, one comment by one girl said she worked with him and no idea about the sex offences he committed, if anything the page alerted a lot of people to the truth about someone who wasn,t what he appeared to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

KOTSC wrote: »
    The photo of the fellow they posted is a convicted sex offender, in my view people have a right if there is a convicted sex offender living in their area amongst them, judging by some of the comments on the page some people knew him and were shocked to find out about his past, one comment by one girl said she worked with him and no idea about the sex offences he committed, if anything the page alerted a lot of people to the truth about someone who wasn,t what he appeared to be.

I don't understand how the group could identify the man in Waterford based on an Irish Independent article (from 2002 with no pictures) with a picture they found on Facebook matching the same name. Very quickly it became what I would consider a witch-hunt, with one person apparently seeing him getting on a bus from Waterford to Athlone. Information regarding his partner or ex-partners' then started to surface, with direct messages telling them to leave him etc.

Leaving that particular instance aside, there has been several situations in the past where people were misidentified and as a result has had their reputations tarnished (for example Eoin McKeogh http://www.thejournal.ie/eoin-mckeogh-loses-anonymity-case-against-newspapers-334423-Jan2012/ ).

I think this group really needs to at the very least not allow people to post/comment and only allow admins of the site to post. Give people the ability to private message admins with information, but by no means should people be able to post anything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

The page was set up with great intentions to notify everyone of what is going on around Waterford - Unfortunately great intentions do not always mean success....
    To be honest Im glad I was made aware of the story about the chap from Mullingar etc (always knew there was something dodgy about him when I served him in the bars) but it is only a matter of time before someone is accused in the wrong and it leads to a big witch hunt and everyone involved being sued for defamation - I don't think people actually realise what they are getting themselves in for.

There is also a lot of comments that a lot of people did not see that the admins put up themselves and deleted which would have caused severe controversy if they had of been left up.

Its like an outtake from "Mystery Men" at this stage with about half a dozen people trying to be heroes for the city and instead just getting themselves in more bother than what they started with :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    "

It appears they have also found out about an individual who was convicted of a horrendous crime some years ago. The comments quickly came flooding in about this individual, with rumors circulating the page that he had skipped town (more than likely as a result of threats from this group). Members of the page/group have even been criticizing people who are associated with this particular individual.

He was definitely in town today anyway, saw him passing the Mercy school after dropping my daughter this morning, would have been around 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Some people are never happy , when crime is happening yee give out saying nothing is being done , then when people try to bring awarness to the scum who are causing grief to normal ordinary people in waterford we get people complaining again :rolleyes: .... while I agree a page like this could get out of hand very quickly if a false name or rumour was given I have to say its a good thing to make people aware of crime at a local level on a site that nearly everyone will see . Surely its doing no harm and is doing some good if it helps people be more aware of their property or of criminals in certain areas.. I bet you if somebody gets posted on facebook for a crime instead of a slap on the wrist in court they make think twice ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I agree that the page was set up with great intentions but I don't think they should be naming people or posting their photos, regardless. Someone will be named in the wrong & the results don't bear thinking about. A page like that needs much tighter controls over who posts there & what they post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How do you know the supposed criminals posted on Facebook are actually criminals though?

This to me is crux of the problem.

Also how do you know the full details of the persons crimes and if he/she had been a law abiding citizen ever since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

well why are they having a go at us thought they were just anti theft folk bunch of facists !

• Advertisement

well why are they having a go at us thought they were just anti theft folk bunch of facists !

Cos we are all in a pedophile ring?

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Cos we are all in a pedophile ring?

In fairness the admin of that page can barely spell and the way half of them on that page are talking they seem to not be the brightest spark. The person who created that page seems to be think he is the protector of the city or something at the moment.

They have now "exposed" another rapist this time with no absolute proof and no links at all to show how he is guilty. Yay witch hunts for all :rolleyes:

They have now "exposed" another rapist this time with no absolute proof and no links at all to show how he is guilty. Yay witch hunts for all :rolleyes:

Surely Facebook can't allow that? Did u report it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

jayboi wrote: »
    Maybe not on the same level of what could potentially happen here but have a read of this article and see what can happen
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10409326/Man-accused-of-being-paedophile-and-murdered-for-photographing-garden-vandals.html

This poor man did nothing was accused in the wrong and was burnt to death.
    Jesus someone bet me to it.

I live in Bristol and I knew the bloke killed- he used to come in the bookies I ran. Never caused any problem.

This is old but look at these bunch of beauties............ http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

It can escalate so much so down with this sort of thing ASAP. Faceache need to be responsible, as if........:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The thing is saying "I saw a van with a few 20+ males looking suspicious in down town Dunmore East or Ardmore during the day" is very beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Seems to be a lot of ****e posts like that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

To be honest I think it is great having a page like this. At least we know what is happening around us, plus I don't see the problem in photos/names being mentioned either as it is already out there in the media, they are doing nothing wrong! Better to be safe then sorry as the saying goes!!!! At least we are being made aware of goings on!

Why not list everyone in Waterford so?

Having anything doesn't mean anything really!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

The poor Guards are getting some bashing on the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

To be honest the page is a real eye opener to the level of burglaries happening in the town.

The admin on the page seems to keep putting up posts about boards.ie or other things and then takes them down after a few hours. Last night there was another status up about boards but this morning its down again, I really dont think a site that is designed to prevent theft should be trying to argue with people who have different opinions than them.

They are encouraging people on the site to come onto boards, so if people come on with 1 or 2 you know where they are coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It looks like he was having a few bottles while he was posting last night. Loving the attention but unable to wait longer than about 20 minutes between each post.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

There is a strong Republican theme to this group.

One of the admins has IRA as his work experience !!

I think a lot of what is on there is exaggerated .

Whilst not a bad idea as a sort of community alert I think its rapidly going down a very dodgy path.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

Careful what ya say lads, any criticism automatically means your aiding and abetting a pedophile ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    There is a strong Republican theme to this group.

One of the admins has IRA as his work experience !!

Which is ironic as a lot of the people you would suspect of being burglars would have general republican views and a grá for the IRA.

One thing I find ironic is that I have recognized a few names on that page from other Facebook pages selling items v cheap. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

Samsgirl wrote: »
    One thing I find ironic is that I have recognized a few names on that page from other Facebook pages selling items v cheap. Hmmm

My God.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That facebook page is a result of people's anger and frustration because the law is not being implemented and persistent offenders are getting lenient sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    That facebook page is a result of people's anger and frustration because the law is not being implemented and persistent offenders are getting lenient sentences.

And the Facebook page does what exactly?

Advertisement