Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Theft Waterford Watchdog Community (Facebook)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Cabaal wrote: »
    And the Facebook page does what exactly?

Please re-read my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

"Lads the guards don't care about victims of crime there too busy stopping people on the phone or doing 5 kph over the speed limit .john heArne to a story that we all should take note of the guards know who are doing the crimes but for some reason won't tackle it. It seems the guards are afraid of the problem for watever reason but let me tell ye this any body enters my house without permission there's no guard in Ireland will save you"- this is the reason why i dont like the page because brainless idiots who think they know it all can write whatever the hell they like.

"Lads the guards don't care about victims of crime there too busy stopping people on the phone or doing 5 kph over the speed limit .john heArne to a story that we all should take note of the guards know who are doing the crimes but for some reason won't tackle it. It seems the guards are afraid of the problem for watever reason but let me tell ye this any body enters my house without permission there's no guard in Ireland will save you"- this is the reason why i dont like the page because brainless idiots who think they know it all can write whatever the hell they like.

I don't get from that post that he's claiming to 'know it all' and he perfectly well entitled to protect his life, family and his home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't get from that post that he's claiming to 'know it all' and he perfectly well entitled to protect his life, family and his home.

that wasn't my point.He's entitled to protect his life, family and home by all means but hes making an over generalization that "the guards don't care about victims of crime there too busy stopping people on the phone or doing 5 kph over the speed limit " the guards work very hard to prevent crime and have to deal with many barracks closures around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

the guards work very hard to prevent crime and have to deal with many barracks closures around the country

There are a lot of stories of victims of crime reporting a crime, Gardai showing up, doing nothing and leaving only never to be heard from again.

This is not anti-Gardai, it is just relaying the facts.

If Gardai do not have the manpower or resources to tackle crime then this should be highlighted so that the proper resources can be allocated to them.

I like the Facebook page from the point of view of knowing what crimes are happening in what areas, just so I can be more vigilant such as the Crossfir gym where cars were broken into. It's a form of community alert.

• Advertisement

that wasn't my point.He's entitled to protect his life, family and home by all means but hes making an over generalization that "the guards don't care about victims of crime there too busy stopping people on the phone or doing 5 kph over the speed limit " the guards work very hard to prevent crime and have to deal with many barracks closures around the country

That's definitely a matter of opinion. They need to get their priorities in order.
    when they came to my house to make a report. They had a quick glance at the car. Didn't even look inside it. While one garda was writing down details the other garda asked me if i was from Waterford. When i replied that i was she said sure u knew about the reputation of the place before you moved in here then (templars hall) then she asked if i owned or rented the property and i said i was renting she just said oh sure you can just move then. I was in total shock that she actually said that to me while i was standing next to my smashed up car. I have no peace in my house any more. Im not sleeping properly. I jump at every single noise. There have been a few people who appear to be checking out the houses down here too over the last couple of nights. I have two small children And i hate being alone in the house now. I have my Hurley near at all times in case i need to use it. Im literally turning into a nervous wreck. One of my children keeps asking if the bad people are going to break our car again. I don't know what to do any more. Thank you for setting this page up because at least now we can be kept informed of whats really going on since the gardai tell us nothing

My highlights.

So it's her own fault because she should have known and anyways all she has to do is move.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Please re-read my post.

Yeah and it still doesn't outline what the benefit of the page is,

So they setup a page to moan? if they want action taken they still need to contact the Gardai.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah and it still doesn't outline what the benefit of the page is,

So they setup a page to moan? if they want action taken they still need to contact the Gardai.

They set up the page to vent their anger and frustration because of the crimes committed against them and the authorities not dealing with it. Besides,what's it got to do with you anyway?

Are you trying to tell me that the woman with the young children(who are now scared witless in their own home) who has suffered a crime is nothing but a moaner?

And if you actually read the page (which somehow I doubt it) the gardaí have been contacted and due to their indifference and lack of professionalism have only infuriated the situation. I have several experiences of this myself, I mean come on, even if the gardaí pretended they were interested that might mean something.

Also if crimes are been committed in my area I want to be informed so I can take the necessary precautions.

You come across as someone feeling threatened by this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Aah ha the pennys dropped with that page

" big announcement for cheap house alarms coming soon"

Worth setting it up they have 4k potential clients now...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

There's a spin-off page now for Piltown + Fiddown:
    https://www.facebook.com/Piltownfiddownsaysno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    There's a spin-off page now for Piltown + Fiddown:
    https://www.facebook.com/Piltownfiddownsaysno

quelle surprise....
    Some good news for the residents of Piltown/Fiddown, I have been in touch with a local licensed security alarm installation company, and the owner of the company has very generously agreed to offer a discount on any installation when you quote this page on enquiry, this is great news, I will have more info on this tomorrow when I confirm things,

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They have to be making some of this stuff up, there's surely no-one this stupid..??
    Emily Mai
    On sat 14th of december my car got broken into in the WIT college carpark while i was in an exam.. they broke the window stole 3laptops,a phone and 150 from my purse .. message to students in waterford to be careful when parking in the college!

They have to be making some of this stuff up, there's surely no-one this stupid..??

To be honest I could somewhat believe that, assuming they parked out in the back car park. I didn't like leaving my bag (with laptop inside) outside the exam hall, probably 2 friends chucking their laptops in the person's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

These pages are set up by admins to get attention for themselves, nothing else. They are absolutely no help in the communities fight against crime, in fact they could potentially pervert the course of justice and impede on Garda investigations.

Idiots with too much time on their hands, nothing more.

These pages are set up by admins to get attention for themselves, nothing else. They are absolutely no help in the communities fight against crime, in fact they could potentially pervert the course of justice and impede on Garda investigations.

Idiots with too much time on their hands, nothing more.

So when the Local media tells us about crime, where and when it happened and in some cases, who the criminals are, they are just idiots with too much time on their hands?

And when the very same local media also carry ads for CCTV/security companies they're trying to pull the wool over eyes?

They seem keen on organising a meeting with Garda representatives and the community... Seems like a perfect time to break in to a house!

So when the Local media tells us about crime, where and when it happened and in some cases, who the criminals are, they are just idiots with too much time on their hands?

And when the very same local media also carry ads for CCTV/security companies they're trying to pull the wool over eyes?

Your logic here is laughable, collaboration from "local media" does not validate the page in any way.

The fact that they accept money from security companies to carry ads is about as relevant in this conversation as their ads for bouncy castles.

Your logic here is laughable, collaboration from "local media" does not validate the page in any way.

The facebook page is just another form of local media.
    The fact that they accept money from security companies to carry ads is about as relevant in this conversation as their ads for bouncy castles.

If the local media can tell us about crime, accept and print letters about victims of crime, interview victims of crime and also carry ads for security firms, I do not see why a facebook page(which as I mentioned, is part of the local media) can not do the same. Tell me why they can't?

Let me ask you this question, what has that facebook page got to do with you? If you don't like it, don't go over there then. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yaxihy

If the local media can tell us about crime, accept and print letters about victims of crime, interview victims of crime and also carry ads for security firms, I do not see why a facebook page(which as I mentioned, is part of the local media) can not do the same. Tell me why they can't?

Once again, let me ask you this question, what has that facebook page got to do with you? If you don't like it, don't go over there then. Simples.

Difference is that one has an editorial process which is supposed to filter out junk and/or illegal/libellous/biased materials (whether it does so effectively is another matter), and the other one....well it's a facebook page, which allows people to instantly post whatever they want, with no references.

Whether it's a good thing or not, I'm not trying to say, I'm just pointing out how facebook pages and print media, are to an extent, apples and oranges

I am totally against that page but unfortunately I can confirm that this event in WIT did happen during the exams before christmas, I heard about it the day it happened. I wouldn't call the person stupid per say because there isn't much to do with your stuff during exams its either leave it in the car or leave it out in the open outside the exam hall, but three laptops I don't see why that many would be needed on an exam day. Either way you should be able to leave whatever you want in your car without being robbed.

• Advertisement

Yaxihy wrote: »
    Difference is that one has an editorial process which is supposed to filter out junk and/or illegal/libellous/biased materials (whether it does so effectively is another matter), and the other one....well it's a facebook page, which allows people to instantly post whatever they want, with no references.

Whether it's a good thing or not, I'm not trying to say, I'm just pointing out how facebook pages and print media, are to an extent, apples and oranges

I agree with you. People should not be allowed to print Libellous/illegal/biased material. AFAIK, the admin of that page has warned about that.

Let me ask you this question, what has that facebook page got to do with you? If you don't like it, don't go over there then. Simples.

Ah brilliant! I didn't refer to any particular page in my first post, then you asked me to elaborate and comment specifically on this page and it's collaboration with local media. Then you ask what it's got to do with me!

:D Great stuff.

Ah brilliant! I didn't refer to any particular page in my first post, then you asked me to elaborate and comment specifically on this page and it's collaboration with local media. Then you ask what it's got to do with me!

:D Great stuff.

Great stuff? It sure is.I said this page, I meant the facebook page. Actually, you knew that, so your deliberately trying to confuse the matter.

Let me put this question to you another way. Why are you upset about this facebook page?

BTW, I take it now that your do agree with me that it's just another form of local media?

Great stuff? It sure is. Let me put this question to you another way. Why are you upset about this facebook page?

BTW, I take it now that your do agree with me that it's just another form of local media?

I'm not, i just offered my opinion on these types of pages, not this one in particular.

Oh and yes, sure, if it makes you feel better the page is a media powerhouse. Journalism at it's most groundbreaking.

Now please stop being a baby about your precious page! Relax man :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Guys, that site is like a few sites that have gotten it a bit "WRONG". Give it time and anybody that has made an incriminating or associated comment, that is any way liable? will be legally liable, regardless of an editors credentials. Seriously lads, I wouldn't regard or associate any comments with that site, in the least bit, credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Newspapers are governed by Libel laws and also basic laws of the court. As mentioned above, each piece goes through an editor and sometimes a legal department before it sees the light of day.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can set up a Facebook page, build a fan base and say whatever the hell they want. My issue with this page is the same issue that have with a lot of facebook pages...they are set up by people who love the attention. Very soon they are used to further personal agendas. It's also quite annoying that this page that is trying so hard to be legitimate, is handicapped by a shocking grasp of spelling and grammar.

The idiots of Waterford, for so long, didn't have a voice. The people who complain about everything but do absolutely nothing. They love to moan and abuse politicians, without actually having the intelligence to back up their complaints with facts. Everything is corrupt. Everyone is out to get us. It's an Us and Them mentality. They didn't have a voice, until Facebook came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Dey dnt hav d funds r resources 2 do it. R so dey,l say. A complaint 2 d ombudsman bout hw crime is handled in waterford wud b mre peaceful n get d attention of d guards 2 do der jobs rite instead of spendin time tellin ppl 2 move out of der hmes. Unfortunatly SCUM run dis town nt d authorities. D community is tryin 2 wrk 2gether but have nothin 2 fall bk on r protect dem. Hw many break ins has der bn latley n other crime n nt 1 report of sum1 gettin caught? D community are makin others n d guards aware but 2 no avail as nt 1 person has bn arrestd. Y bcoz d law is nt doin der jobs. If d community is wrkin 2gether wot hope hav we if d law does NOTHING??

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Triangla wrote: »
    There are a lot of stories of victims of crime reporting a crime, Gardai showing up, doing nothing and leaving only never to be heard from again.

This is not anti-Gardai, it is just relaying the facts.

There's a lot of the problem tbh, stories being presented as facts

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You mean you don't understand the writing of our distinguished local media mooseknuckle? For shame... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I complained to facebook about the page because I thought it was turning vigilante as well when they asked for details for crimes via pm and were hell bent on naming and shaming no matter what. I had an argument basically with one of the admins and they were fine with naming and shaming before convictions and just because they saw someone doing something it was proof. They changed their tune when another admin said they couldnt name anyone unless it was in the court system.
    For reporting them, they removed me from the group, posted up the post they got from FB complaints and then posted a link to my facebook page. There was then speculation that anyone who makes a complaint about naming and shaming must have something to do with it i.e. the crime. I know this as someone passed the details onto me.
    I still think the page could get people off by some smart lawyer or someone is going up on defamation and I would also love to know if any of the admins have broken the law, that includes penalty points on their licenses.

For those giving out about the police pulling people over for talking on a mobile, speeding, drink drinking etc. the police wouldnt have to if people obeyed the law and did kill innocent people.

Advertisement