Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Theft Waterford Watchdog Community (Facebook)

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

These guys are bunch of hucksters.

Oh and they've gone behind the log in. Pity!

I think the page is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I think the page is gone?

Think so too. The closed group is still up & running though. Similar ****e being posted there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    There's a spin-off page now for Piltown + Fiddown:
    https://www.facebook.com/Piltownfiddownsaysno

these lads are too busy changing their profile photo an posting hilarious photos of dogs to be fighting crime in their spare time.

awwwww..... :o

1521284_247022775460446_1443506537_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Oh and yes, sure, if it makes you feel better the page is a media powerhouse. Journalism at it's most groundbreaking.
    Nobody is claiming that the page is a ''media powerhouse'', that's just a figurement of your imagination. In fact, journalism in this country is quite shoddy overall but sure let's forget about that. Please pray tell, who according to your standards should be allowed to report on anything?
    Now please stop being a baby about your precious page! Relax man :)

And you need to stop acting the tool and trying to come across as all high and mighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

This elitist 'unliked' due to all the bad grammar :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Newspapers are governed by Libel laws and also basic laws of the court. As mentioned above, each piece goes through an editor and sometimes a legal department before it sees the light of day.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can set up a Facebook page, build a fan base and say whatever the hell they want. My issue with this page is the same issue that have with a lot of facebook pages...they are set up by people who love the attention. Very soon they are used to further personal agendas. It's also quite annoying that this page that is trying so hard to be legitimate, is handicapped by a shocking grasp of spelling and grammar.

The idiots of Waterford, for so long, didn't have a voice. The people who complain about everything but do absolutely nothing. They love to moan and abuse politicians, without actually having the intelligence to back up their complaints with facts. Everything is corrupt. Everyone is out to get us. It's an Us and Them mentality. They didn't have a voice, until Facebook came along.

The four things that annoy Dicky Pride:
    1. Bad Splleing
    2. Horrible Grammar
    3. CAPITAL LETTERS
    4. PeOpLe WhO wRiTe LiKe THiS

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The four things that annoy Dicky Pride:
    1. Bad Splleing
    2. Horrible Grammar
    3. CAPITAL LETTERS
    4. PeOpLe WhO wRiTe LiKe THiS

:):):)

Excuse me, who do you thin...

Actually yeah...you're right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    You come across as someone feeling threatened by this page.

What exactly are you suggesting here?

Cabaal wrote: »
    What exactly are you suggesting here?

Why does the page bother you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For the record i don't feel threatened by the page and it concerns me deeply that people like yourself use this sort of colorful language, you appear to see anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view as a enemy.

The Facebook page is of concern to any sane minded person because as we've already seen it leads to misinformed people speculating and assigning crimes to people that they actually don't know to be the true criminals.

This is a very dangerous and damaging thing to do to any individual, yet numerous posts of this nature were allowed on the page.

Do you not see this as a serious issue?

You seem awful defensive about a silly facebook page, can I ask what is your involvement with it? Are you an admin or in anyway involved in its creation?. I think its only fair your declare your interests here.

For the record i don't feel threatened by the page and it concerns me deeply that people like yourself use this sort of colorful language, you appear to see anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view as a enemy.

I only asked you a question and no I don't see you as my enemy.

In fact, it seems to me that people against the facebook page have no problem labelling those that support it - morons, idiots, braindead etc. I most certainly don't think that is anyway in carrying out a debate.
    The Facebook page is of concern to any sane minded person because as we've already seen it leads to misinformed people speculating and assigning crimes to people that they actually don't know to be the true criminals.

This is a very dangerous and damaging thing to do to any individual, yet numerous posts of this nature were allowed on the page.

Do you not see this as a serious issue?

Yes, I agree, people could get misinformed and accused in the wrong, which is why the admins over there have warned posters not to post up names, pics etc. My problems is that the authorities are not dealing with our crime problem, nor are they taking the victims seriously.

You seem awful defensive about a silly facebook page, can I ask what is your involvement with it? Are you an admin or in anyway involved in its creation?. I think its only fair your declare your interests here.

I have no interests whatsoever, I don't even have a proper facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Yes, I agree, people could get misinformed and accused in the wrong, which is why the admins over there have warned posters not to post up names, pics etc. My problems is that the authorities are not dealing with our crime problem, nor are they taking the victims seriously.
    I do feel threatened, why would someone an admin post a link to my facebook account because I reported their page. Because I was removed from the group before they did this I have to question the motives behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They have to be making some of this stuff up, there's surely no-one this stupid..??

Yep, that was my cousin.

Feckin laptops in plain view on the back seat

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

You need to get out of the mindset that anyone who disagrees with you is upset or threatened by a bloody Facebook page.

If you continue to be a sensitive baby you'll never make it in the cyber crime fighting vigilante world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Penny Lane

The concept behind the page is good, it's a good idea born of a genuine desire to keep people informed. There are definitely teething problems. The poor spelling and grammar certainly do not help the page's cause - it's mind boggling trying to read some of the posts. And some of the comments defy logic. However, I do think the premise behind the page is good.

Remains to be seen really

You need to get out of the mindset that anyone who disagrees with you is upset or threatened by a bloody Facebook page.

If you continue to be a sensitive baby you'll never make it in the cyber crime fighting vigilante world :)

If you have nothing good to say, well then you shouldn't say anything.

Penny Lane wrote: »
    The concept behind the page is good, it's a good idea born of a genuine desire to keep people informed. There are definitely teething problems.

I agree, the basic concept is good and can be helpful to some people.

People should get to know their neighbours and they should be aware of how they secure their belongings....eg: don't leave phones, laptops in plain view near windows/or in cars in plane view.

The problem here is initially many of the posts were vigilante style posts which is damaging to the Facebook page and its legally seriously dodgy.

Once the admin or admin's deals with these sort of posts I don't see much of a problem.

This is a discussion forum,

It would be a pretty boring place if everybody posted something and the entire thread was made up of replys of people being positive and agreeing with the opening post.

We all read things on boards everyday that we may not agree with 100% or that we may not see as positive, that doesn't mean the person shouldn't post.

In many respects if we apply your logic to Waterford as a city then nobody can post anything about stuff in Waterford if its not good :pac:

Hitler couldn't have said it better himself :D

• Advertisement

This is a discussion form,

It would be a pretty boring place if everybody posted something and the entire thread was made up of replys of people being positive and agreeing with the opening post.

We all read things on boards everyday that we may not agree with 100% or that we may not see as positive, that doesn't mean the person shouldn't post.

In many respects if we apply your logic to Waterford as a city then nobody can post anything about stuff in Waterford if its not good :pac:

If you actually re-read back thru his posts you'll see that he has nothing really good to add to the debate. Just usual insults.

Hitler couldn't have said it better himself
    .... see.

If you actually re-read back thru his posts you'll see that he has nothing really good to add to the debate. Just usual insults.

.... see.

Hey what happened to not saying anything if you haven't got anything good to say?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The problem with the page is Libel - Posting up that Johnny did X without proof (link to court outcome or media reports) of conviction is libel. There's nothing stopping me saying that Cabaal broke into my house last night and raped my hamster, and without proof that is libel. Libel which will result in the poster and page admin getting sued. And rightly so.

Also worth noting that it could seriously hinder an investigation by AGS, as the suspect could say that he has been subject to harrassment because of his alleged crime. The case will get thrown out. Simple as that. It needs more moderation, and by people who actually know what they're doing. If i was a criminal, i would be all over this page just waiting for my name to pop up and then start proceedings for an easy payday.

Great idea, terribly implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

The problem with the page is Libel - Posting up that Johnny did X without proof (link to court outcome or media reports) of conviction is libel. There's nothing stopping me saying that Cabaal broke into my house last night and raped my hamster, and without proof that is libel. Libel which will result in the poster and page admin getting sued. And rightly so.

Also worth noting that it could seriously hinder an investigation by AGS, as the suspect could say that he has been subject to harrassment because of his alleged crime. The case will get thrown out. Simple as that. It needs more moderation, and by people who actually know what they're doing. If i was a criminal, i would be all over this page just waiting for my name to pop up and then start proceedings for an easy payday.

Agreed, however Libel comments are made on here all the time and not removed despite being reported. for example the chimney sweep thread, Keoghs Chimney Sweep gets whipped out of it but we cant prove for sure(not that i doubt the posters) its like the Freddie the mover thread that was stopped because he wasnt there to defend himself yet people were making serious accusations about Keoghs and despite being reported nothing was done, so that type of stuff goes on here too. not saying that i dont agree with you by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Other issue that seems to be is people who question them get banned. The open page was down yesterday but is now up and running again advertising self defense and cctv companies. Last post was ref break in and someone posted about a car speeding in area . Instead of telling them to contact the police they say to pm the page!

Advertisement