Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tough mudder

Options
  • 09-01-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Has anybody entered the tough mudder anywhere before? A few of us are thinking if entering this year for Punchestown, it looks and sounds like so much fun but I want to be sure I'll actually be able for it if I pay the expensive entry fee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tojers1

Ye im in the same boat. Me and a few of the lads want to do it but it looks tough and wondering would it be worth it. theres good tutorial work outs on toughmudder.co.uk if you want to check them out. thats what we are going by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is it a Tri? No
    Is it a Duathlon? No
    Adventure Race? No

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is it a Tri? No
    Is it a Duathlon? No
    Adventure Race? No
    Ah, be nice. Its not really A/R either. Its a homeless discipline. A mud mutt race. We might as well let it stay a while.

OP, what is your level of fitness like, what have you done prior to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I've entered it this year along with 2 brothers & one of the gf's. 10-12 miles of pure hell but looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Oryx wrote: »

OP, what is your level of fitness like, what have you done prior to this?

I've not done anything like this before or races. But have started getting into fitness the end of last year and trying to build up a bit of strength (I'm a girl) think if I sign up it will push me to keep motivated...I hope

• Advertisement

Not done anything like this myself. I'm just looking to concentrate on fitness levels for most of year, then work on strengthening for last 6-8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

colin32 wrote: »
    I've entered it this year along with 2 brothers & one of the gf's. 10-12 miles of pure hell but looking forward to it

How many girlfriends do you have?

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not a running event either!

Outdoor Pursuits?
    Fitness?
    Kick it back to the messing forum?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Awesome-O wrote: »
    I've not done anything like this before or races. But have started getting into fitness the end of last year and trying to build up a bit of strength (I'm a girl) think if I sign up it will push me to keep motivated...I hope

Can you run?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RayCun wrote: »
    Not a running event either!

Outdoor Pursuits?
    Fitness?
    Kick it back to the messing forum?

An excuse to get a tattoo in the vein of Ironman, promise to get a Tough Mudder Tattoo and you get free entry.

Tattoo2.jpg

It probably is a bit of fun, but hideously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

:eek::eek::eek:just signed up to this with the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I did one last year in Buffalo NY, so what's it like?? well it's as tough as you want it to be. There is no timining so you can stroll around the 11 miles and you can even opt to skip any obstacles that you don't want to do. I fortunately did it with a group of marathoners and Ironmen so we went out to get around this thing as fast as the group could. In a situation like this it is a very tough event, the obstacles and running do challenge if you are giving it serious effort. As a runner you may think you are fit but honestly if you don't work your upper body you will struggle and could find you need your team to help you once your arms turn to rubber after a few obstacles. That's the best advice anyone gave me beforehand and I made sure to do chin ups and push ups for a few months leading up to it. Genuinely if I hadn't! I'd have needed assistance getting up and over some of the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Great advice and description Phone head.

I'm trying to begin running and am going to work in this over the summer. Upper body is pretty good running over distance is my struggle. A friend told me you can walk it to but I do want to push myself as much as I can without it leading me to breaking point half way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

You need to get running, working on upper body is something that can be done along with the running but to build fitness running is the key.
    Also not much point going out on the road, you need to be running on rough trails or preferably cross country. Don't worry about mileage, just work on time spent on your feet. Do some hills as well. Try to build up to 90 minutes continuous (apart from climbing walls and ditches) of cross country running.
    The muck and long wet grass is a better character builder than any gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tojers1

Thanks man. Going to give it a go. tough work but it will be worth it :P cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

me and the lads are going to start doing the marley 5 k every sat to get the fitness up, they also have random pull up bars in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My best friend has just signed up to do this with her brother. As women we would be of average size and fitness, although she is 'in training' atm. She asked me would I do it with her, she explained it briefly to me and I said yeah why not. Then I watched the advertising video.

Lads, I would die trying to do that. I quickly rang her explaining this. Fair play to all that enter and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

How much is the entry fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

That was awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

That was awesome.

yup had a great time bit tired towards the end but great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Who won?
    It wasn't timed so I don't think there was a winner. Really enjoyed it myself, great atmosphere and some interesting obstacles. Not sure I'd do it again next year as the price is a bit steep (think I paid around €80) and then it was €10 to park the car (or €20 for a premium spot which definitely wouldn't have been worth it), €5 for bag drop, €10/€20 for spectators etc...
    In saying that, there seemed to be a water station every few miles with protein bars and the t-shirt is excellent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a lot of charges for different things, they even charge for parking, with premiums spots as well as the bag drop ! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

fletch wrote: »
    It wasn't timed so I don't think there was a winner. Really enjoyed it myself, great atmosphere and some interesting obstacles. Not sure I'd do it again next year as the price is a bit steep (think I paid around €80) and then it was €10 to park the car (or €20 for a premium spot which definitely wouldn't have been worth it), €5 for bag drop, €10/€20 for spectators etc...
    In saying that, there seemed to be a water station every few miles with protein bars and the t-shirt is excellent quality.

That. is. mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

My wife and a few of her friends were doing it on Saturday. They enjoyed it and did it for charity but it was ridiculously overpriced. They were looking for €20 for spectators. :eek: I just parked along the main road and walked in through a gap in the fence. No way was I paying into it.

That said, it does look like it was well organised and well run. (for that money, it would need to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

So now we know who the winners were... the organisers' bank accounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

but if the organisers don't make money there will be no event next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

fletch wrote: »

The cost is absolutely ridiculous but the added extra costs even more so. €10 to park a car and €5 to drop your bag :rolleyes:

Despite all of the costs, the most surprising thing about your post is the bit about Protein Bars at the water stations. WTF? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Peterx wrote: »
    but if the organisers don't make money there will be no event next year.

There's a different between covering costs and ensuring you have money to start another event and price gouging people

Advertisement