Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tough mudder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

menoscemo wrote: »
    Despite all of the costs, the most surprising thing about your post is the bit about Protein Bars at the water stations. WTF? :confused:
    I don't really know was I trying to justify the cost in some way? :) I enjoyed the event and was trying not to let the costs ruin it for me.
    My friend and I were laughing at the amount of water stations as we went around though, totally unnecessary, but then again there were a lot of fun runners there who may have found the event tough (which it wasn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Did this yesterday & really enjoyed it. felt like I'd been hit by a train when I got out of bed this morning. Luckily I'd booked the day off

Few bumps & bruises but not as bad as some of the people I saw on the course

T shirt is great quality, under armour

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Did this on Sunday morning as part of a team of 500 doing it for charity. There was a great atmosphere at this because nobody was worried about a chip time.

We stopped at all of the water stations and had banter all the way around. It was quite difficult as it wasn't just straight running. Getting wet throughout the course and doing the obstacles was a challenge. There is a bit of a cult feeling to it though, the way they psyche you up at the start with a pledge, and try to get you back to do more races to earn colored headbands.

Tough Mudder are a slick organization financially. The CEO came up with the idea in Harvard business school and copied some of the idea from Tough Guy. It is expensive and the extra costs of parking make you feel a bit ripped off.

The spectator fee was definitely a rip-off, but I think you could easily walk in as a spectator without paying. Parking was €20 for pre-pay premium parking or €10 on the day. We paid on the day and ended up right beside the premium parking 100m from the gate. Its well set up to extract the extra bit of money from your pocket if you're willing to pay. The fee for entering was probably fair though considering the organization involved, atmosphere, and the Under Armour t-shirt.

They give out loads of protein bars because they have sponsors promoting their goods (protein bars, water, beer, sports cameras).

They are worth $70 million, so its all about making money at the end of the day, but they are not as bad as the "Run or Dye" crowd. That was rip-off central. €5 to park in a rocky field, and run or dye t-shirts on sale for €35. I heard that they didn't even have water after the race at one of their events. You had to buy water, and there was a huge queue for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How was the charity element organised ? Did Tough Mudder organise it, or did you organise it yourselves separately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

fletch wrote: »
    It wasn't timed so I don't think there was a winner. Really enjoyed it myself, great atmosphere and some interesting obstacles. Not sure I'd do it again next year as the price is a bit steep (think I paid around €80) and then it was €10 to park the car (or €20 for a premium spot which definitely wouldn't have been worth it), €5 for bag drop, €10/€20 for spectators etc...
    In saying that, there seemed to be a water station every few miles with protein bars and the t-shirt is excellent quality.

Thats bleedin nutz expensive for an obstacle course run :eek: Is this type of event not similar to Runamuck or those Hell and Back style events?? I can't believe you paid that much for it, charging spectators tho that is taking the P$$$
    Even tho it wasn't timed were there any winners like for first three males and females or first team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

For anyone that did the event as part of a team, don't forget to apply for a rebate!
    https://toughmudder.co.uk/team-rebate
    • 6 to 10 members, you each get a $5 refund.
    • 11 to 20 members, you each get a $10 refund.
    • 21+ members, you each get a $15 refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How was the charity element organised ? Did Tough Mudder organise it, or did you organise it yourselves separately ?

It was organised by ourselves. Tough Mudder sponsor the wounded warrior project, but not sure how much they donate to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

The irish charity for the event was crumlin childrens hospital. Not sure how much was donated though

Advertisement