Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working the wrong muscles.

• 09-01-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

I've a question about my gym workout. Working out 2-3 times a week over the past 6 months with some decent results. Gaining muscle weight and losing fat. I feel good, I'm much stronger and I'm healthier.

My problem is though that clearly my left pectoral muscle is being overworked. When I'm using barbell, dumbell, chest or shoulder presses my left pec is constantly doing most of the work or some of the work on that side. This has lead to a (realistically barely perceptible) lopped sidedness in my chest and to an extent my biceps.

I assume this a problem with poor form/technique. Any advice on how to correct this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Brego888 wrote: »
    I've a question about my gym workout. Working out 2-3 times a week over the past 6 months with some decent results. Gaining muscle weight and losing fat. I feel good, I'm much stronger and I'm healthier.

My problem is though that clearly my left pectoral muscle is being overworked. When I'm using barbell, dumbell, chest or shoulder presses my left pec is constantly doing most of the work or some of the work on that side. This has lead to a (realistically barely perceptible) lopped sidedness in my chest and to an extent my biceps.

I assume this a problem with poor form/technique. Any advice on how to correct this?

Try to do 1 arm excersises for a while,its probably imbalance between right and left pecs.,and focus more on left than right for a while.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-bench-press
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-one-arm-shoulder-press
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-preacher-curl

If not see a physio,could be other reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Try to do 1 arm excersises for a while,its probably imbalance between right and left pecs.,and focus more on left than right for a while.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-bench-press
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-one-arm-shoulder-press
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-preacher-curl

If not see a physio,could be other reasons

Can you explain the logic to this?
    Will doing single arm exercises stop my left pectoral overcompensating on the workload?

Can you explain the logic to this?
    Will doing single arm exercises stop my left pectoral overcompensating on the workload?

http://youtu.be/kDSh2Ed6ttA

But I think the best is to see a physio,and get him to make a program that suit better.

Thanks for the advice man. Having looked into it i reckon some isolated single arm exercises should be brought into my routine for a while and I'll reassess it in a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice man. Having looked into it i reckon some isolated single arm exercises should be brought into my routine for a while and I'll reassess it in a few weeks.

Anytime,bro,good luck with your progress.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is the effect on your biceps?
    You biceps aren't involved in pressing movements.

And you said it happens with dumbells too. What exactly is happening, your pec should do most of the work there. Maybe its not a noticable as you think. Left/Right differences are pretty common in arms/legs. It might not be noticeable. You could put up a picture to see if people can tell (maybe even flip the photo, or not, to avoid people saying "left is bigger" etc)

Mellor wrote: »
    What is the effect on your biceps?
    You biceps aren't involved in pressing movements.

And you said it happens with dumbells too. What exactly is happening, your pec should do most of the work there. Maybe its not a noticable as you think. Left/Right differences are pretty common in arms/legs. It might not be noticeable. You could put up a picture to see if people can tell (maybe even flip the photo, or not, to avoid people saying "left is bigger" etc)

Even when I left a dumbell for a bicep curl on left arm my left per seems to be doing a lot of the work still. I've been trying to isolate my left bicep and tricep to work on those so they are more active when I return too more compound lifts. This is still a struggle though.
    When I leave the gym, regardless of chest, arms or back day, my left pes still feels like it's got the best workout!

It must be a problem with form or maybe I need to keep going with the left arm strengthening work?
    I measured both my left and right upper arms and there is an inch difference in size with the right being bigger which I assume is normal as I'm right handed

Even when I left a dumbell for a bicep curl on left arm my left per seems to be doing a lot of the work
    Your pec doesn't cross the elbow joint, it physically can't perform a (bicep) curl.

Mellor wrote: »
    Your pec doesn't cross the elbow joint, it physically can't perform a (bicep) curl.

Perhaps not but at the top of the curl it's still contracting and tightening. I must be doing something wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Perhaps not but at the top of the curl it's still contracting and tightening. I must be doing something wrong
    You might be rotating your shoulder inwards a bit to get a little bit of help with the curl so there might be a bit of contraction in rotating the shoulder.

• Advertisement

You might be rotating your shoulder inwards a bit to get a little bit of help with the curl so there might be a bit of contraction in rotating the shoulder.

I'm not long back from the gym and I think this is exactly what I'm doing. At least on the bicep curls anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do you feel contraction in your pec using lower weight dumbbells? If the answer is no, then you're just trying to curl too high a weight. Drop to the next weight down+work on better form. You'll probably be working the bicep better than at heavier weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭tattoo86

Is it possible you might have Polands syndrome, from wikipedia: is a rare birth defect characterized by underdevelopment or absence of the chest muscle (pectoralis) on one side of the body, and usually also webbing of the fingers (cutaneous syndactyly) of the hand on the same side (the ipsilateral hand). Poland syndrome most often affects the right side of the body, and occurs more often in males than in females. i have this condition but without the webbed fingers, just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

tattoo86 wrote: »
    Is it possible you might have Polands syndrome, from wikipedia: is a rare birth defect characterized by underdevelopment or absence of the chest muscle (pectoralis) on one side of the body, and usually also webbing of the fingers (cutaneous syndactyly) of the hand on the same side (the ipsilateral hand). Poland syndrome most often affects the right side of the body, and occurs more often in males than in females. i have this condition but without the webbed fingers, just a thought!

Meme-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Like i said it was only a thought, here are some pics of fernando alonso who also happens to have polands syndrome so you can see if maybe its the same thing.

Nope definitely not as severe as Polands syndrome. My "problem" now feels very insignificant in comparison to that!

It was not my intention to make your 'problem' seem insignificant its just after working out for a while i also noticed my left side seemed to be more developed than my right and after researching and visiting doctors i was told it was poland's syndrome, its nothing severe, it just is what it is.

It was not my intention to make your 'problem' seem insignificant its just after working out for a while i also noticed my left side seemed to be more developed than my right and after researching and visiting doctors i was told it was poland's syndrome, its nothing severe, it just is what it is.

Nah no worries man, I hadn't read it as a slight on my query. It sounds pretty mad though, so you have little to no muscle on your right pectoral as a result?

No nothing below the delt on my right side, but i can still lift the same weight as my left side, its a bit mad alright, some of the doctors i seen never heard of it, even sent me for an xray as they thought it might be a concave chest.

No nothing below the delt on my right side, but i can still lift the same weight as my left side
    For all lifts?
    That's surprising

• Advertisement

Y i use dumbbells in the gym and can do the same amount of lifts on each side be it, bench press, shoulder press, flys etc

Advertisement