Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

Options
  • 09-01-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking for some advice, my car insurance renewal reminder has arrived. The premium is more or less double the cost over last years. No changes to policy regarding claims/ points. What is generally reason for this , I am with same company 5 years +. Apologies if posted in wrong area

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Do a few online quotes with other insurance companies, then ring your current company back with the price you got and they will magically match it for you. (or there about)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Its a f*****g joke. Glad I gave up driving. Someone I know who was paying 760 fully comp last year the cheapest quote she could get this year was 800 third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Car insurance companies rely on your laziness. Get online or in the phone and look for as many quotes as you can. An insurance broker is also a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

Galadriel wrote: »
    Do a few online quotes with other insurance companies, then ring your current company back with the price you got and they will magically match it for you. (or there about)

Thanks for reply. I initially thought that they have made a mistake , but no just chancing their arm. Will ring around. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Cowboy2014

try no nonsense insurance it works for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Do as stated above . Ring around , get your quotes , then ring your company back and state the lower quotes u were given and what companies gave those quotes to you . You will be surprised how much prices will drop once you do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Oh and ps . Try quotedevil . Top place for lower prices ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My renewal this year was 50% higher.

I rang my company with a few quotes, and they went down below what last years renewal was after a bit of haggling.

Give them a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stheno wrote: »
    My renewal this year was 50% higher.

I rang my company with a few quotes, and they went down below what last years renewal was after a bit of haggling.

Give them a ring

+1 I have a good package from my insurer, they give me extended coverage that I'd never get as a new customer with another company if I moved like fully comp. cover on driving other cars.

Clearly they want to hang on to me but it doesn't stop them trying it on every year at renewal time so I just go through the motions of ringing them and quoting completely fictitious (lower) quotes from other companies whereupon they cave in and give me something similar to last year's renewal.

Last year it got totally farcical whereby I rang to negotiate, got the number down a little but then the lady I was speaking to said that she couldn't budge and the number she was quoting was the absolutely best she could do. I said I'd call back which I did five minutes later but when I did (phoning the same number), the call was rerouted to another branch of the same company. Knowing I was talking to someone different, I tactically decided not to mention the fact that I had been speaking to her colleague a few minutes earlier so I started off by saying that I had been quoted X and Y by other companies so she straight away gave me a quote below the previous 'best quote' which I accepted.

It requires balls but you definitely do not accept the renewal quote, they all try it on and the reason obviously is that there's enough people out there who simply pay up based on the renewal they get in the post without shopping around for quotes and moving your business or (as in my case) phoning their insurance company and playing hardball.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

My car and house insurance both fall due before Xmas every year, so I have a terrific incentive to beat the beggars at their own game. It's like a personal challenge to me now and I seriously enjoy the sense of achievement I get when I batter down even good quotes by playing one company against another. Two years ago was the best result - I renewed both insurance policies for the price I was being charged for one. This year, the extra savings I made bought ME a great Xmas present :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement