Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Awards Season 2014

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Lady Gaga? (wait why is Lady Gaga there? :P)
    476222519.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

1. Adams
    2. Bullock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

1. Kelly Osbournes white dress
    2. Charlize Theron
    3. Sandra Bullock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Starbordsie

Love Sandra Bullock's dress. Love navy so no surprise there.

Surprisingly, I also love Emma Watson's too, generally I find her style dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Jada Pinkett Smith

296800.jpg

Charlize. <3

Love Lupito's, Amy Adams' and Julie Delpy's.

Can't see the fuss over Idina's - too much material, stiff, dull colour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

123 LC wrote: »
    Lady Gaga? (wait why is Lady Gaga there? :P)
    476222519.jpg

Didn't someone else wear this lately. To the Golden Globes maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I thought Camila Alves was stunning - just classy

Recorded this last night and just watching now. I think Bette Midler looks great, loving her dress.

Sorry, I don't have a pic to link to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I think the colour of Lupita's dress was absolutely stunning and looked amazing against her skin. Not so keen on the deep v-neck, but she's still one of the best-dressed there, IMO.

Olivia Wilde also looked amazing:

article-2571620-1BFA2C3C00000578-205_310x809.jpg

article-2571620-1BF9F26900000578-403_310x809.jpg

And while I'm not totally gone on Julia Robert's dress, I think the woman could wear a potato sack and still look incredibly beautiful:

article-2571620-1BFA427200000578-736_310x742.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm late to the party (so to speak), so thought I'd put together a brief list of what I liked and what didn't float my boat. Also, Very disappointed Leo didn't bag an Oscar :(

Loved:
    Sandra Bullock - McQueen. Divine detailing. Flattering fit. Beautiful colour. I need not say more - def winner for me. Way to be Sandra, way to be.
    Charlize Theron - Incredible dress. I loved the angular bust-line and the sheer panel in the fishtail.
    Joseph Gordan Levitt - so dapper and handsome
    Jennifer Lawrence (her dress but not her hair) - lovely pop of colour in a sea of blandness was exactly why JLaw topped my favourites list this year. That dress really flattered her figure (although, I did get the feeling that she looked a lot slimmer than usual last night :( )
    Camila Alves - beautiful dress and make-up. Loved the drape detail.
    Portia de Rossi - sheer amazingness. How she managed to wear underwear has defied me though.
    Cate Blanchett - this dress to me hinted at old-school Hollywood glamour. The petal/beaded detailing was stunning. Loved it
    Jared Leto - a white tux jacket, a red dickie bow,ombred long hair - on paper this shouldn't work, but the man looked incredible!

Liked:
    Amy Adams - really loved her dress. Very elegant
    Lupita Nyong’o - She looks like a Disney princess. She always gets it so right when it comes to award ceremonies. Powder blue is definitely her colour (although I think every colour suits her tbh). Was not a huge fan of the deep v-neckline or the hairband, she still looked fab though.
    Oliiva Wilde - monochrome, but in a subtle way, loved the detailing at the back

Meh:
    Julia Roberts - I'm not a fan of full pendulum skirts, so reckon this has played a part in my decision. Didn't like the lace detailing at the bust-line either.
    Anne Hathaway - I didn't like the short-hair-halterneck combination.
    Emma Watson - disappointing, she usually gets it so right, be it at award shows or street styling. This dress was just too plain and boring.
    Kerry Washington - I liked the colour on her, but felt there was no shape whatsoever.

Was not a fan:
    Angelina Jolie - shapeless dress in a bland colour. I really wasn't a fan of the sequin detailing. Was kinda disappointed, as she got it so right a few weeks ago with her tux ensemble. I was hoping her redcarpet dress would be a real statement piece.
    Anna Kendrick - loved her makeup, but a no to the dress unfortunately. Too much going on, all of which failed to flatter.
    Brad Pitts Hair - just no
    Liza Manelli - don't know what was going on there

And my favourite thing about last night.............
    Ellen celebrity selfie!
    Ellen_oscar_selfie_twitter_360x270_22.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Just catching up this morning :)

Julia Roberts's dress is amazing, as is Charlize Theron, but Emma Watson was my favourite, without a doubt. Stunning dress.

Don't understand the Leto-love, mind you. Just looking at him turns my stomach :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

My favourites were:
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Amy Adams
    Emma Watson
    Kelly Osbourne
    Olivia Wilde
    Portia de Rossi
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    Jared Leto
    Kristen Bell
    Anna kendrick
    Lupita Nyong'o
    Cate Blanchett
    Glenn Close
    Kate Hudson
    And of course, Sandra Bullock

Kristen Chenoweth, Giuliana Rancic and Liza Minelli didn't look great at all.

Angelina Jolie's dress just wasn't flattering. Big disappointment after the BAFTAs.

I hated Charlize Theron's dress, it made her shoulders look sooo broad.

How NOT to do pregnancy on the red carpet:

2zycqoi.jpg

Malari wrote: »
    Don't understand the Leto-love, mind you. Just looking at him turns my stomach :pac:

Oh my god, thank you! Me too, he has always creeped me out for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

^^ :eek: omg to that dress. Chris Helmsworth looks divine though!

Olivia Wilde is a great example of how to dress for the red carpet when pregnant. Kerry Washington looks awful too, like she wrapped a bed sheet around her and stuck it with a hair pin.

My favourites from the night were Cate Blanchett and Charlize Theron. Lupita's dress was the most fabulous colour!

I hated Margot Robbie's, she has the most amazing figure and that dress made her look awful.

• Advertisement

Oh my god, thank you! Me too, he has always creeped me out for some reason.

I wasn't a fan even in the Jordan Catalano days. In my mind he goes into the "eyes too close together" box, along with Ryan Reynolds. And the long hair is just....eww.

phasers wrote: »
    ^^ :eek: omg to that dress. Chris Helmsworth looks divine though!

Olivia Wilde is a great example of how to dress for the red carpet when pregnant. Kerry Washington looks awful too, like she wrapped a bed sheet around her and stuck it with a hair pin.

My favourites from the night were Cate Blanchett and Charlize Theron. Lupita's dress was the most fabulous colour!

I hated Margot Robbie's, she has the most amazing figure and that dress made her look awful.

Agree with the Margot Robbie comment! She looks like a body-builder or something, it doesn't suit her at all!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How NOT to do pregnancy on the red carpet:

2zycqoi.jpg

That looks like a beergut a darts player would be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Article on Buzzfeed showing some afterparty dresses: http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstein/fashion-from-the-oscars-after-parties

Not many I like really, and some downright awful ones. Rashida Jones in particular, what was she thinking?

enhanced-8261-1393862050-5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ For such a gorgeous girl I never see her dressed well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Those afterparty dresses are seriously questionable.

The proportions on Ellen Page and Cobie Smulders' outfits are bizarre, they both look like they have little stumpy legs!
    enhanced-22337-1393861877-23.jpg
    enhanced-7837-1393868244-14.jpg

I think it's mainly the boots that I hate in Ellen's case.

• Advertisement

That Buzzfeed article is like a worst-dressed competition.

These three in particular are just bizarre.

Brooklyn Decker
    enhanced-22971-1393861573-5.jpg

Karolina Kurkova
    enhanced-7220-1393860327-1.jpg

The worst has to be Olivia Munn
    enhanced-22189-1393865184-16.jpg

Malari wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan even in the Jordan Catalano days. In my mind he goes into the "eyes too close together" box, along with Ryan Reynolds. And the long hair is just....eww.

Me neither, whilst all my friends would swoon. Yes, it's the eyes! Too close together eyes freak me out a bit. Colin Farrell goes into that box too. Another that I never saw the fuss about.

vitani wrote: »
    The worst has to be Olivia Munn

I quite like Olivia's! Something vaguely s&m about it, in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Really didn't like Charlize Theron's dress, something about the shoulders. Not mad about the beige straps part.

I didn't like Lupita's either. Hated the plunging neckline and not a fan of the baby blue.

Anne Hathaway, not a fan either.

To be honest, I was very disappointed in general with the dresses. Alot were very meh. I liked Kate Hudson's dress and I liked the colour of JLaw, but not much else.

The men on the other hand looked amazing. Jared Leto looked amazing as did so many others like Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I honestly have no idea what people see in Charlize Theron's dress. I think it is hideous, yet I am seeing so many people proclaiming it to be the best dress of the night. I also hated the white dress she wore last year, which a lot of people really liked. Maybe I just have something against her :L

• Advertisement

I quite like Olivia's! Something vaguely s&m about it, in a good way.

It's not for me at all especially because without the weird boob straps, it could be a gorgeous dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Oh dear god, what size of a child is poor little Elsa carrying?! I fear for her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

enhanced-5823-1393865275-1.jpg

She always looks so classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Oh dear god, what size of a child is poor little Elsa carrying?! I fear for her!!

It's twins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

Really like Leslie Mann's dress for the afterparty.
    Leslie-Mann-in-Jenny-Packham-2014-Vanity-Fair-Oscar-Party--300x451.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Wellyd wrote: »
    It's twins!

I should have guessed that! That bump is huge altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the dresses on Sunday night. There was plenty of ‘nice’ dresses and I don’t think there was many clangers among the main actresses, but overall I thought they were a bit forgettable and safe. I liked Amy Adams, Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Laurence, thought the cut of those three was amazing, they fitted like a glove. I really liked Cate Blanchett, Kelly Osbourne and Portia Di Rossi. I also really like Christy Teigans, thought it was so different to everything else there. I think Angelina’s was a bit matronly, it was too much having the high neckline and the sleeves, also it looked like it didn’t fit particularly well. Same with Julia Roberts, looked ill fitting and a bit cheap.

I think I’m in the minority by not particularly liking Lupita’s dress. It was ok, but it was a bit blah and there was far too much bony clavicle on show for my liking! I think it was just a bit of disappointment considering she has being outstanding at every previous awards show. Her turquoise Gucci with the jewel detail that she wore to the SAG awards is one of my favourite red carpet looks ever!

Advertisement