Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tapas bar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddybbay

We dropped in last night for a quick glass of wine and a bowl of olives..

Pros: It was sunny..

Cons: Pubic hair found in otherwise flavourless olives
    Charged over €15 for 2 glasses of red and olives

Seriously guys ! What's the story ? The same would cost €4 in Barcelona !
    The hair I can forgive but the price was outrageous. The same story with the last 2 'Tapas' bars that failed in the town - Greedy Greedy.
    I'll be round in La Touche wines next time for better wine nearly half the price..

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

paddybbay wrote: »
    We dropped in last night for a quick glass of wine and a bowl of olives..

Pros: It was sunny..

Cons: Pubic hair found in otherwise flavourless olives
    Charged over €15 for 2 glasses of red and olives

Seriously guys ! What's the story ? The same would cost €4 in Barcelona !
    The hair I can forgive but the price was outrageous. The same story with the last 2 'Tapas' bars that failed in the town - Greedy Greedy.
    I'll be round in La Touche wines next time for better wine nearly half the price..

Just seen this ... <<<snip>>> Granted your opinion . But if you say Barcelona is cheaper then go ... You can not compare a wine TAKE AWAY with a resteraunt that has more over heads and Main Street presence ... I am going later this week and can not wait it looks busy and heard nice things. Will reply with my findings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Really? The hair you can forgive? This tells me that basic h&s is not being followed, more thank likely (best case) someone, a food preparer did not wash their hands after using the toilet. And you think the price is the problem?

The price stinks, for what you got, but the rest - to me indicative of bigger issues. Going to pass this onto someone who is intending on going down soon, they may wish to wait until there are signs that basics are being taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Went with some friends and my other half on Sunday - food was lovely, no problems. They had been the previous night (!!) and loved it then too - and the one of them had been the previous weekend and loved it then too.

So no negitive issues from my side. It is a bit expensive, but not massively so in comparison to The Port House for example. Would certainly go back, but still reckon the Port House would be my favoured Tapas place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddybbay

Troll - no

Well travelled and experienced diner - yes

You're missing the point here - the whole ethos behind Tapas is good value snacks with a drink.

The Irish restaurant business have latched onto this and get it wrong nearly every time - charging way over the odds for the dishes and serving them as a mini main course priced like a starter !

It WILL be the 3rd Tapas bar in the town to go bust in 2 years for this reason..and that's not even broaching the poor H+S standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Troll - no

Well travelled and experienced diner - yes

You're missing the point here - the whole ethos behind Tapas is good value snacks with a drink.

The Irish restaurant business have latched onto this and get it wrong nearly every time - charging way over the odds for the dishes and serving them as a mini main course priced like a starter !

It WILL be the 3rd Tapas bar in the town to go bust in 2 years for this reason..and that's not even broaching the poor H+S standards.

was in madrid - and while there was loads of tapas places as you describe - I was in two restaurants that were full meal based tapas - though were more sharing based - ie. a bruchetta type 'snack' - €20 for 8 pieces, chicken croquets - €20 for 9 pieces (i think it was).

So I would assume tapas is not exclusively as you would say it is, and can (in Spain) be more akin to the model Irish restaurants work too - more of a full meal/restaurant model.

The irish places are simply not the same style you demand them to be. The dinning habbits of the irish wouldn't be suited to ONE tapas restaurant in a town being able to stay in business. As you demand them, you have a drink and some tapas, paying little for either, and move on to the next place - in ireland that wouldn't allow the restaurant to actually cover their over-heads and where exactly are the patrons going to go for the next round of tapas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Just wanted to post an update on the Tapas bar (was in twice over the weekend – OTT I know)… after my first experience I wanted to try it again and here’s what I thought:

Staff like the first time very nice / friendly the manager (think he is NZ or SA can never tell the difference) is also nice and welcoming . Background music was good… toilets still pretty poor def. need to be done up…
    BUT there was a man I assume was the owner in both times I was there over the weekend and he was a right pain, he had a “grumpy” face on both times and proceeded to give out to the staff including the manager in front of the customers
    (Bad form IMO he gave the place a bad atmosphere beside of his grumpy face and demur).

Food was very good I must say, hence the reason we went back twice, its reasonably priced IMO, it’s not crazy money at all. Muscles, Calamari, Prawns all very good etc.

Our bill came to €78, we had a bottle of white wine, cheese board, fish as listed above, salad, garlic bread etc. so including a tip €45 each… not bad value at all I have to say. Better than some of the early birds I have had in Greystones.

I have to say I think it’s a great little addition I like the portions not too much of the one thing….and I for one will be choosing it above other places in Greystones….

Advertisement