Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey Valley to Aviva Stadium

Options
  • 09-01-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi im travelling from Mullingar to the Aviva Stadium for the RBS 6 nations where is the best place to park and the best way to get and with what transport i was told to park at liffey valley, get a bus to O Connell St,then get dart from O Connell Station. Would love suggestions plz help :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You could park at the Red Cow and get the Luas to Connolly station and get a Dart from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Alternatively park at the red cow and luas to the point. And then cross over east link bridge only 10 - 15 walk. For large events landsdowne is often closed so you would be walking anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

tara83 wrote: »
    Alternatively park at the red cow and luas to the point. And then cross over east link bridge only 10 - 15 walk. For large events landsdowne is often closed so you would be walking anyway

Maybe you are thinking Grand Canal Dock Dart station? The Landsdowne Rd Dart station is not closed for big events. It has an underground tunnel and special gates leading from the platforms directly into the forecourt of the Aviva. They are there specifically to funnel big groups of people off the trains and into the stadium as safely and as quickly as possible. Grand Canal Dock has none of those facilities, so it is often closed when big crowds are expected.

OP, the Red Cow Luas stop is on the N7. As you are coming in on the M4, the Luas stop, won't be on your route. Park your car at Liffey Valley. Then take a bus into town. There are several buses that go from O'Connell Bridge that stop at the top of Landsdown Rd beside the D4 hotel. It is only a 2 minute walk to the Aviva from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Or get the 25a from across the road from Liffey Valley to Merrion Square. The Aviva is a short walk away, 10-15 mins and it helps beat the crowds in the stations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

athtrasna wrote: »
    Or get the 25a from across the road from Liffey Valley to Merrion Square. The Aviva is a short walk away, 10-15 mins and it helps beat the crowds in the stations

the 66s and 67 would also bring you to Merrion Square from the N4 bus stop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's worth noting which entrance your ticket is directing you to. If you're East Stand, say, you have to go in via Bath Avenue so you'd be better getting off a southbound DART at Grand Canal Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tigerlillie

Robbo wrote: »
    It's worth noting which entrance your ticket is directing you to. If you're East Stand, say, you have to go in via Bath Avenue so you'd be better getting off a southbound DART at Grand Canal Dock.

Thanx Robbo the tickets have not been received yet - would the dart from Connolly take you there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Yeah any southbound DART will take you there.

40 down to Kylemore Road from Liffey Valley and then an 18 towards Sandymount from Kylemore Road will leave you on Northumberland Road, a 5 minute walk from the stadium would be another option and save having to go into town.

Yeah any southbound DART will take you there.

40 down to Kylemore Road from Liffey Valley and then an 18 towards Sandymount from Kylemore Road will leave you on Northumberland Road, a 5 minute walk from the stadium would be another option and save having to go into town.

is that bus numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Yep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

If you are coming from Mullingar, park the car and get the train from Maynooth to Connolly/Pearse. Then get the dart from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

athtrasna wrote: »
    Riskymove wrote: »
    the 66s and 67 would also bring you to Merrion Square from the N4 bus stop

This is by far the easiest option. Park near the footbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP - First of all, why not just take the train from Mullingar to Connolly and switch to the DART there?

All of Ireland's matches are over no later than 16:45 and that allows plenty of time to get to Connolly for the 19:05 train home.

Sligo line timetable is here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/14-DublinM3ParkwayLongford2806131.pdf

Otherwise, suggestions are:
    1) Park at Maynooth station and take the train from there (connecting to DART at Connolly).

2) Park at Liffey Valley and take any bus from there (25, 25a, 25b, 66, 66a, 66b or 67) from the bus stop at the N4 footbridge to Merrion Square and take the short walk from there - buses are quick due to having bus lanes for most of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

You'd easily drive to Ballsbridge from Mullingar in just under an hour if you get going early enough. My brother does it regularly.
    Park her up in one of the private roads near Herbert park. I'm always amazed at the amount of parking spaces available around there on match days at the Aviva/ RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

room_149 wrote: »
    You'd easily drive to Ballsbridge from Mullingar in just under an hour if you get going early enough. My brother does it regularly.
    Park her up in one of the private roads near Herbert park. I'm always amazed at the amount of parking spaces available around there on match days at the Aviva/ RDS.

I'd second this.

However, if you're dead set on parking near Liffey Valley, I echo what the others have said about the 25, 25a, 66, 67 etc.
    I live in Lucan and that's how I always go to the games - bus to Merrion Square and then stroll to the ground.

Hi Robbo

We received the tickets this morning and we enter via Bath Avenue could you tell me what the best way to enter is and would getting the train from Maynooth still work

I'm still struggling with why you won't simply take the the train from Mullingar to Connolly and change there?

Either way, train from Mullingar or Maynooth to Connolly and DART to Grand Canal Dock and walk from there. Buy a ticket in either Mullingar or Maynooth to Lansdowne Road however.

Return from Lansdowne Road DART (GCD is closed after matches).

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm still struggling with why you won't simply take the the train from Mullingar to Connolly and change there?

Either way, train from Mullingar or Maynooth to Connolly and DART to Grand Canal Dock and walk from there. Buy a ticket in either Mullingar or Maynooth to Lansdowne Road however.

Return from Lansdowne Road DART (GCD is closed after matches).

Hi lxflyer we decided to take the train from Maynooth and stay with friends so we are not going into Liffey Valley. Thank you very much for the info it is much appreciated.

Thank you to all of you that has replied to my post it is brill to know that so many people will help me out. We got our tickets this morning and have to enter via bath avenue so we are going to get the train from Maynooth and get the southbouth dart to GCD and after get the landsdowne dart back to Connolly - hopefully I am right with that now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

You know it makes sense!

• Advertisement

Thank you to all of you that has replied to my post it is brill to know that so many people will help me out. We got our tickets this morning and have to enter via bath avenue so we are going to get the train from Maynooth and get the southbouth dart to GCD and after get the landsdowne dart back to Connolly - hopefully I am right with that now :)

Not to throw a spanner in the works or anything, but the Grand Canal Dock Dart station is usually closed when big events at the Aviva are on. (It was closed for the Leinster vs Northampton Heineken Cup game last month.) I think I mentioned on the previous page, that it does not have the facilities (bridges, tunnels, access gates etc etc) to handle large crowds, so they generally shut it down when sell out crowds at the Aviva are expected. Health and safety and all that. :rolleyes:

If it is shut, there will be an announcement on the train saying so & the next stop after Pearse Station, will be Landsdowne Rd itself, where you will get off. Don't let that spoil your plans, but do give yourself the additional 15 minutes to walk from the station to the Bath Avenue entrance. It is well sign posted and there are plenty of stewards and Guards along the way to point you in the right direction. There are also several pubs along the way, where you can stop and enjoy the buzz and the atmosphere, which you really don't get to do, if you are going straight from the train & into the stadium. Enjoy the game. :)

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not to throw a spanner in the works or anything, but the Grand Canal Dock Dart station is usually closed when big events at the Aviva are on. (It was closed for the Leinster vs Northampton Heineken Cup game last month.) I think I mentioned on the previous page, that it does not have the facilities (bridges, tunnels, access gates etc etc) to handle large crowds, so they generally shut it down when sell out crowds at the Aviva are expected. Health and safety and all that. :rolleyes:

If it is shut, there will be an announcement on the train saying so & the next stop after Pearse Station, will be Landsdowne Rd itself, where you will get off. Don't let that spoil your plans, but do give yourself the additional 15 minutes to walk from the station to the Bath Avenue entrance. It is well sign posted and there are plenty of stewards and Guards along the way to point you in the right direction. There are also several pubs along the way, where you can stop and enjoy the buzz and the atmosphere, which you really don't get to do, if you are going straight from the train & into the stadium. Enjoy the game. :)

Thanx a mill - another quick question is the use of cameras allowed - I have a dslr camera with a lens

I've never had a problem taking pix and videos there, but I only ever take them with my phone or bog standard digital camera. I don't know what a dslr camera is. Is it a very big professional looking one? If it is and the stewards think you are taking pictures for professional purposes and you don't have the proper media accreditation, they may ask you to stop. I'd be surprised if they even saw you though, as the stewards are usually only at the entry ways and exits and down at the pitch. They are not normally hanging around the seats.

ProudDUB wrote: »

To correct this, Grand Canal Dock is usually OPEN before the game as I posted above, and closed after the match.

People's arrival times tend to be far more staggered - but they all leave at once.

Hint to OP - when leaving, if you are in the stands walk around within the stand to get to an exit near Lansdowne Road station rather than battling the crowds on the street itself.

lxflyer wrote: »
    To correct this, Grand Canal Dock is usually OPEN before the game as I posted above, and closed after the match.

I have recent experience on the matter. I took the southbound Dart to Leinsters HC Cup game last month and, to the autumn internationals in November. On both occasions, the trains did not stop at the Grand Dock station, due to a game being on at the Aviva. There was an announcement to that fact on the train, as it pulled out of Connolly, Tara St & Pearse stations.

The GCD station itself was open. I saw people standing on the platforms as we whizzed past them. What trains they were waiting on I don't know, but if it were the Dart, they would have been out of luck, as the Dart did not stop there. This would have been roughly an hour before the game started. The station is open, the pre game Darts just don't stop there. I presume the trains resume stopping at GCD once the game has started and, the bulk of the crowds are inside the stadium. I don't know what happens after the game, as I generally get a lift home. But during recent, sell out rugby games at the Aviva, southbound Darts did not stop at the CGD station before the game.

Advertisement