Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAM Recital Certificate

Options
  • 09-01-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of doing the RIAM Recital Certificate (same as DipABRSM) and considering what pieces to play. You have to pick 3 pieces of your own choice. No theory, sightreading, viva voice r theory involved.

I'm doing Beethoven Sonata No.27 Op.90 in E minor 1st and 2nd mov.
    Was thinking of doing CHOPIN Nocturne Op.32 No.1 in B Major???
    And Rach Prelude Op.3 No.2 in c sharp minor???

Anyone tell me what you think of these or give suggestions of other diploma standard pieces I could play.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Honestly, go for the DipABRSM. RIAM are just not of the same standard at all

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

The standard of the Recital Cert is definitely far below DipABRSM (at least it was when I did it about ten years ago)--the ARIAM would be of comparable standard to the DipABRSM.

The Recital Cert is a good way to air repertoire in a comparatively unstressful setting, and I imagine it's still much cheaper than a diploma. Chopin and Rachmaninoff in the same programme...hmm. A varied programme in style and period is important, so two slowish Romantic pieces are too similar really. Bach is a good one. Let's see if I can remember what I played for mine: Bach (three-part invention), a Beethoven set of variations, a Nocturne by Satie, and (I think) two movements from Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition' (which in hindsight were really technically beyond me at the time, and I barely pulled them off). Varied, certainly.

Advertisement