Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie questions

• 09-01-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, I'm 26 and doing my theory test soon. I'm thinking about getting a Marauder 125 or something similar. Should I just apply for the Full Category A learners Permit or go A1/A2? Can anyone recommend a nice bike for a newbie? I'm not interested in speed, just something comfortable that looks good. Engine size not important as long as the bike isn't too expensive to buy or insure. Cheers!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

I've been looking at a lot of great posts by other users so my Learners permit question has been answered. I'll just get the A permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

joejoe87 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 26 and doing my theory test soon. I'm thinking about getting a Marauder 125 or something similar. Should I just apply for the Full Category A learners Permit or go A1/A2? Can anyone recommend a nice bike for a newbie? I'm not interested in speed, just something comfortable that looks good. Engine size not important as long as the bike isn't too expensive to buy or insure. Cheers!! :)

Definitely go for the full A as you'll be licensed to drive any bike in the future. If you go for the other categories you'll have to pay to progress your license. The only downside is if you don't get a big bike you'll have to hire one to do your test on.

Bike choice is personal. What do you prefer? Cruisers, naked. Upright or sports?

I like cruisers, they look comfortable and are just more my style really.

also I'm a big guy so maybe a 125 isn't big enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

joejoe87 wrote: »
    also I'm a big guy so maybe a 125 isn't big enough

Please don't get a Marauder, I did lessons on one years ago and it was the biggest piece of sh*t I ever rode. They're great for cruising but filtering was a right pain in the ass. If you're starting out get at least a 250, I loved riding a Honda CBR250 when taking lessons. Great bike for spinning around. But again that's just my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I am learning aswell and I think you will find that if you do the IBT for cat A you wont want a smaller bike. I did my IBT on a 600cc Bandit and I wouldnt go any smaller than 500cc now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

As I said in the other thread don't get a marauder, get anything but not a marauder.

Specifically look at Dragstars and Shadows. Relatively cheap and have loads of different engine sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Go for cat A. Do ibt first before deciding on any type of bike.

Advertisement