Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pennys Longwalk SC Dundalk closing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

But the only reason that Penneys went back to the Long Walk Shopping Centre is that they were forced back because they ran out on their lease.
    This has surely been on the cards since then that they would pull out as soon as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Salt001 wrote: »
    But the only reason that Penneys went back to the Long Walk Shopping Centre is that they were forced back because they ran out on their lease.
    This has surely been on the cards since then that they would pull out as soon as they could.
    Not unexpected but a lot of people will tell you that the store seemed to be busy and thriving.Also Pennys could have made what plans they had clear to the staff a lot earlier than the 2nd Wednesday in January,with plans to close up by March.Primark dont have much time for their staff and no time at all for the people in middle-eastern sweatshops who supply them.

Not unexpected but a lot of people will tell you that the store seemed to be busy and thriving.Also Pennys could have made what plans they had clear to the staff a lot earlier than the 2nd Wednesday in January,with plans to close up by March.Primark dont have much time for their staff and no time at all for the people in middle-eastern sweatshops who supply them.

Oh I totally agree with that but I always presumed that they would go and surely that should have occurred to staff .
    It is a great store and much easier to access than the Marshes and I will be sorry to see it go and I am very sorry to see people out of work also.
    Are any of the staff to transfer to the Marshes, I think most of the original staff transfered way back when ??.
    I wonder who will take over the spot. I did hear that Dealz (the southern version of Poundland) were interested

Salt001 wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree with that but I always presumed that they would go and surely that should have occurred to staff .
    It is a great store and much easier to access than the Marshes and I will be sorry to see it go and I am very sorry to see people out of work also.
    Are any of the staff to transfer to the Marshes, I think most of the original staff transfered way back when ??.
    I wonder who will take over the spot. I did hear that Dealz (the southern version of Poundland) were interested
    Well funny enough i dont know anyone who works there(cos u would normally always know one or two) but i hope that all of them get transfered to the Marshes and i also hope that Dealz deal becomes a real deal :D LOL (that said,it would prob kill off that other cheap store in the centre)

Well funny enough i dont know anyone who works there(cos u would normally always know one or two) but i hope that all of them get transfered to the Marshes and i also hope that Dealz deal becomes a real deal :D LOL (that said,it would prob kill off that other cheap store in the centre)

Yes that would be unfortunate about the other bargain store.
    Yes all the staff from the Penneys store are fairly young and maybe part-time, not that that matters really if you are losing your job.
    I wonder will the managers transfer to the Marshes or elsewhere as they move around quite a lot anyway.
    Dealz were supposed to be interested in the old Dunnes Stores premises on Park Street but felt it was too big so .........???? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That store was reopened under duress and it was always known that it would close once they had cleared the lease obligations. The staff were well aware of this.
    The same will happen Tesco when they finish building the new store.

That store was reopened under duress and it was always known that it would close once they had cleared the lease obligations. The staff were well aware of this.
    The same will happen Tesco when they finish building the new store.

Roger.Jobs are heading to the marshes.Still annoying that jobs are being taken from the town centre.

Roger.Jobs are heading to the marshes.Still annoying that jobs are being taken from the town centre.

You just have to consider the Marshes the town centre now. I can remember the long walk being far from considered the centre of town. At one time people to the west of the town considered Park St to Lucy Sorahans corner the main shopping area of town. Towns develop and things move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Big shame. If marshes didn't have it the Longwalk generally always did!

Good to see jobs being redeployed all the same!

If a cinema goes ahead in either the retail park or Marshes that'll be the last thing people would bother with that end of town gone. It'd be a pity and looking at the make-up of the population in the area it would follow a pretty disappointing pattern.

• Advertisement

... and looking at the make-up of the population in the area it would follow a pretty disappointing pattern.

Care to expand on what you mean by that?

Care to expand on what you mean by that?

I didn't think it needed much explanation. Get foreigners into an area then gut it. Happens everywhere and I'm disappointed it seems to be happening here.

You obviously don't remember the decay in that part of town before the Long Walk was developed - when no foreigners lived in the area.
    Areas of Dundalk have decayed and been gutted through the years. It's part of the development of an urban area? Remember the "homes" where the CBS now stands? The pepper pot houses at the end of Anne St. The supermarkets in Park Street, the Oriel cinema? Things change. Always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

What were the pepper pot houses? [I remember the other things.]

On balance, I think the development of the Long Walk was a bad thing. Inferior road development; awkward for pedestrian access; not sufficiently strongly linked to Clanbrassil Street, resulting in accelerated decline of what was the principal shopping street.

Agreed.

It's very much so "All over the shop" if you'll excuse the Pun.

Long Walk / Carrol Village. Only direct link was down by the side of where the Leader used to be.

Then The MArshes and the Old SC / Tesco on the other side of town. The Longwalk and Carrol Villages decline may be a good thing in the long run. If it could give our main thoroughfair a bit of rejuvination.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The main street in the town needs a big supermarket with parking in order to get people back into the center of the town.
    I can't see any place suitable.
    It's like a ghost town at times.
    Very poor town planning.

You obviously don't remember the decay in that part of town before the Long Walk was developed - when no foreigners lived in the area.
    Areas of Dundalk have decayed and been gutted through the years. It's part of the development of an urban area? Remember the "homes" where the CBS now stands? The pepper pot houses at the end of Anne St. The supermarkets in Park Street, the Oriel cinema? Things change. Always have.
    Is it not a bit quick to happen this time though? The amount of development in that area encompassing the Long Walk, Superquinn, the cinema, apartments all in what, 15-20 years and already a lot of it is gone. How long has Superquinn been left empty already? It's not one thing, it'd be just about everything.
    It's a pretty well-established pattern internationally, and something which it's possible to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I didn't think it needed much explanation. Get foreigners into an area then gut it. Happens everywhere and I'm disappointed it seems to be happening here.

If all else fails, blame the foreigners. I'm a foreigner; am I to blame too?

mod9maple wrote: »
    If all else fails, blame the foreigners. I'm a foreigner; am I to blame too?

Where am I blaming foreigners?

Jesus people really need to learn how to read and to not make up things that aren't there.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Back on topic please. The focus on this thread is on the Longwalk SC, job losses and the general economic climate in Dundalk. If people wish to discuss other topics please start a new thread in the relevant forum.

• Advertisement

There is one shop as far as I see on the main street of the biggest town in Ireland where you could purchase a few groceries , Costcutters.
    Otherwise the street is full of bookies, hairdressers and pubs.
    The town center is in decay and has been for a long time.
    The only reason I go down the street at all is to go to Mc Ardle Meats or Peter Conlons.
    Nothing else worth going to. The other shops are ten a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

The main street in the town needs a big supermarket with parking in order to get people back into the center of the town.
    I can't see any place suitable.
    It's like a ghost town at times.
    Very poor town planning.

Dunnes Stores on Park Street would fit the bill however they seem reluctant to lease it or sell it. It's a damn shame sitting there vacant.

Dunnes Stores on Park Street would fit the bill however they seem reluctant to lease it or sell it. It's a damn shame sitting there vacant.

I was told that the frozen foods giant Iceland wanted to lease it but Dunnes refused as it would be in competition with them.
    Madness in my opinion.

Surely they're not just letting it sit there idle and refusing offers to fill it?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Surely they're not just letting it sit there idle and refusing offers to fill it?

Looks like it or maybe that's the only offer they received.

Looks like it or maybe that's the only offer they received.

Lunacy!

Probably done a lot of people a favour refusing Iceland though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Pulse Pacemaker now gone aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Its not unique to Dundalk to see the centre of the town in serious decline, the centre of Drogheda is fairly rundown too. It is not immigrants causing the problem, they are probably attracted there due to cheap rents and access to transport links. The wretched work done by the Council in traffic calming and bike lanes didnt help either. It take a long time to get to the centre of town. Penneys in long walk was always going to close. Dunnes have 3 stores in Dundalk and aldi and lidl 2 each. I cant see tesco closing down their long walk store anytime soon

Is that(Dunnes) site for sale or for lease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

It's sad but town centre has nothing to offer. New tesco's will take people away. New cinema will take people away. Is it time to start discussing whether town centre's should be mostly residential?

Advertisement