Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pennys Longwalk SC Dundalk closing.

Options

Comments

nutts_77 wrote: »
    It's sad but town centre has nothing to offer. New tesco's will take people away. New cinema will take people away. Is it time to start discussing whether town centre's should be mostly residential?

I don't think they need to be more residential I don't think. To have large-scale development on greenfield sites (empty car parks are better than football pitches) then having bigger developments at the other end of the town is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The cinema in the town centre objected to the one in the retail park and then put planning in for a cinema at the Marshes !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I don't think they need to be more residential I don't think. To have large-scale development on greenfield sites (empty car parks are better than football pitches) then having bigger developments at the other end of the town is the problem.

Get rid of more football pitches??? More Tennagers hanging around the streets, just what the town needs alright :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Is that(Dunnes) site for sale or for lease?

Either I'd say .
    Park st now nearly a pub and takeaway Street.
    Any where past boyds centre on clanbrassil st is like the Wild West with tumbleweeds.
    Nearly as bad as drogheda ,3 centres all doing little or no business , 2 retail parks , the same and a main St. half empty or full of crappy shops .

Planners/ councils have sold their sole for extra rates revenues.

Get rid of more football pitches??? More Tennagers hanging around the streets, just what the town needs alright :mad:

Sarcasm. Though I'm not sure how much better football pitches are for teenagers to be hanging around at 11pm. :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Sarcasm. Though I'm not sure how much better football pitches are for teenagers to be hanging around at 11pm. :P

Many football, soccer and Gaa have community centers attached to their dressing rooms with Youth Groups a lot of nights during the week, thus keeping a good number of kids off the streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many football, soccer and Gaa have community centers attached to their dressing rooms with Youth Groups a lot of nights during the week, thus keeping a good number of kids off the streets

Football pitches are hardly the answer to the decay of the town centre though.

As an aside, a pitch was removed to build Carroll Village - a pitch that was locked up and unused for many years!

The one at Carroll Village (the one I was referring to) had none of those things.

Dunny wrote: »
    Pulse Pacemaker now gone aswell.
    And near neighbours News & Deli(which was also Dundalk's only Ticketmaster outlet) also closed over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Deli Bites ? at the Park St / Anne St / Dublin St junctions also closed.

• Advertisement

Closed a few years now Tayto.
    Funny enough there is a new Cafe opening there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Howyahorse

What will happen the stock? Will it be greatly reduced or just sent to the marshes store?? Would spend an even bigger bomb in there if i know it's being reduced :D:D

I can't see why the stock won't be transferred to the Marshes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Closed a few years now Tayto.
    Funny enough there is a new Cafe opening there soon.

TL, I think you got it mixed up with "The Morning Star" which was a few doors up from where Deli-Lites were. They closed the other day also although it seems to be re-open under a new name / banner when I passed yesterday evening.

As 10GB said there's also a cafe going into where the old Deli-Lites was. I heard Bella Tea Rooms *or some similar name) from Blackrock are opening a cafe in here.

cargo wrote: »
    TL, I think you got it mixed up with "The Morning Star" which was a few doors up from where Deli-Lites were. They closed the other day also although it seems to be re-open under a new name / banner when I passed yesterday evening.

As 10GB said there's also a cafe going into where the old Deli-Lites was. I heard Bella Tea Rooms *or some similar name) from Blackrock are opening a cafe in here.

Yes I got mixed up.
    There sure is a lot of cafes along that stretch now. They all can't make money surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Belles tearooms new place is Ruby's and it's where cafe Metz was in williamsons

Mrs W wrote: »
    Belles tearooms new place is Ruby's and it's where cafe Metz was in williamsons
    This is all getting a little confusing now :D

Saw people sitting on chairs outside News & Deli today.
    Thought it was closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Saw people sitting on chairs outside News & Deli today.
    Thought it was closed down.

Its back open just to sell tickets to yer man's gig.
    http://talkofthetown.ie/2014/01/23/news-deli-to-reopen-on-thursday-for-garth-brooks-ticket-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Is that(Dunnes) site for sale or for lease?

I know that representations were made by Park Street traders to Dunnes about doing something with the front of it for appearance purposes but were flatly turned down. It seems that it's not unique to Dundalk either, Wexford has a similar story. Once it's listed with an auctioneer(honestly or not) then there is no outlay to them.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/dunnes-in-firing-line-over-old-premises-29914880.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »

This is all getting a little confusing now :D

Had a look at the poster in the window today of the old Deli Lites on Park Street and it definetly says "Bella Tea Rooms, Blackrock coming shortly" so they either changed their mind and opened at the other end of town instead (then I would think the auctioneers would have removed the sign in Deli-Lites) or the guys in "Rubys" are another crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Belles tearooms are opening where Deli lites were.Rubys are run by the same person that owned Cafe Anne in Carrol village. Think there's too many tea/vintage/coffee shops in town now.

Was in the Long Walk this morning and seen that it's closed :( Adiós.

Was in the Long Walk this morning and seen that it's closed :( Adiós.

I haven't been in the Long Walk in liver a year but I thought Pennys closed months ago. Has it only now closed?

I haven't been in the Long Walk in liver a year but I thought Pennys closed months ago. Has it only now closed?
    Well i was in there on Thurs last & it was still open so can only guess that it closed on Saturday at close of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Aye it closed Saturday. Really dreary looking now.

That's the end of the Long Walk.
    Just like Carroll Village.
    We now have two nearly empty monstrosities and less foot fall in the town center.
    Last man out turn off the lights. The town is done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The town is done for.

I can't imagine the closing of a retailer being the "end of the town"

Is Tesco closing in The Long Walk too?

MugMugs wrote: »
    I can't imagine the closing of a retailer being the "end of the town"

Is Tesco closing in The Long Walk too?

There are various views, none confirmed.
    When the huge new one is up and running many people think the other one in the LW will close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There are various views, none confirmed.
    When the huge new one is up and running many people think the other one in the LW will close.

I floated that idea in the Old Shopping Centre thread a while back (and annoyed somebody while at it) and was told that Unions had confirmed that the other Tesco would remain.

I'm more surprised that they would be keeping the LW open with the Super Duper Tesco just up the road.

Maybe this is what we need anyway. Back to the streets. Populate Clanbrassil Street again. If controlled by the council right then it could well work :)

Advertisement