Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pennys Longwalk SC Dundalk closing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MugMugs wrote: »
    I floated that idea in the Old Shopping Centre thread a while back (and annoyed somebody while at it) and was told that Unions had confirmed that the other Tesco would remain.

I'm more surprised that they would be keeping the LW open with the Super Duper Tesco just up the road.

Maybe this is what we need anyway. Back to the streets. Populate Clanbrassil Street again. If controlled by the council right then it could well work :)

But there's nothing in Clanbrassil St to bring people into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

How do the leases roll in the LWSC? Would Tesco not be just starting a new lease period now?That info is kept private of course but sometimes people know ;)

Also,there is no SuperValu in Dundalk.I'm sure a company with a huge profile like they have would love to have a store in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

SuperValu avoid towns with Dunne's and Tesco already in place.

I can't see why tesco would keep the LW shop when the new one opens. It wouldn't make sense.

Maybe Iceland will move in there.
    Dunnes wouldn't let them into their old store in Park St.

SuperValu avoid towns with Dunne's and Tesco already in place.

I can't see why tesco would keep the LW shop when the new one opens. It wouldn't make sense.

Dunnes have a massive store in the Marshes,a medium sized one in Coxes and a 'local' store in MM.All three seem to be doing decent business.So why couldn't Tesco have the "Super Duper" store in Hill Street running alongside the medium sized store in Longwalk ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

Maybe Iceland will move in there.
    Dunnes wouldn't let them into their old store in Park St.

That would be excellent.

If controlled by the council right then it could well work :)

I wouldn't pin any hope on the council running something properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Don't agree with you there.All the major banks,post office are on that street with the credit union just off it.Greenmount,The Foodhouse,McEvoys,Leavys etc.
    Its just that big centres like The Marshes are killing town centre trade all over.People are too lazy to walk down the town.

M.A.G wrote: »
    Don't agree with you there.All the major banks,post office are on that street with the credit union just off it.Greenmount,The Foodhouse,McEvoys,Leavys etc.
    Its just that big centres like The Marshes are killing town centre trade all over.People are too lazy to walk down the town.

Apart from the banks and post office I wouldn't have much interest tbh.
    There are loads of hairdressers, pound shops and chemists too but they are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Duffners jewellers on clanbrassil st the next to close.

• Advertisement

Dunny wrote: »
    Duffners jewellers on clanbrassil st the next to close.

Is that a fact or a supposition?

Talkofthetown.ie

They have it posted I can't link on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Is that a fact or a supposition?

They have an advert in the dundalk leader confirming

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Exactly.

Kill this shopping centre is handy bull and out retailers back onto the streets. Bring back our main street.

Offer 75 percent off rates for the first year and slowly increase per annum thereafter. Inject a bit of life into what is now becoming an eyesore.

Campbell's jewellers set to close Sunday.

Also Sally West on clanbrassil st the next to go.

So that's RQ O'Neill, Campbells, Duffners and Sally West in the last few weeks.
    It will definitely be a ghost town soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

So that's RQ O'Neill, Campbells, Duffners and Sally West in the last few weeks.
    It will definitely be a ghost town soon.
    Is RQ O'Neil closed?
    All the other stores closing before the new tesco opens so people wont be able to blame them for the death of retail in the town centre. The dreadful work being done by the Council has caused huge damage to town centre traders

indiewindy wrote: »
    Is RQ O'Neil closed?
    All the other stores closing before the new tesco opens so people wont be able to blame them for the death of retail in the town centre. The dreadful work being done by the Council has caused huge damage to town centre traders

Don't know tbh.Passed the place in the car on Monday at about 5pm and the shop was closed up & had a huge "TO-LET OR FOR SALE" sign on the building.No other signs such as "Closing down soon" or "closed down" were visible

I have heard two rumours-

1. The owner has retired from business.
    2.The business is moving premises and will reopen in the town centre soon.

Exactly.

Kill this shopping centre is handy bull and out retailers back onto the streets. Bring back our main street.

Offer 75 percent off rates for the first year and slowly increase per annum thereafter. Inject a bit of life into what is now becoming an eyesore.
    Think John Mcgahon is reading this thread. Had him knock on the door today canvassing and this was one of his pitches......

Don't know tbh.Passed the place in the car on Monday at about 5pm and the shop was closed up & had a huge "TO-LET OR FOR SALE" sign on the building.No other signs such as "Closing down soon" or "closed down" were visible

I have heard two rumours-

1. The owner has retired from business.
    2.The business is moving premises and will reopen in the town centre soon.

John O'Neill was interviewed for the Today with Sean O'Rourke show on RTE on 18th March. He said they were closing after 112 years as he was retiring with nobody to take over the business.

• Advertisement

John O'Neill was interviewed for the Today with Sean O'Rourke show on RTE on 18th March. He said they were closing after 112 years as he was retiring with nobody to take over the business.

Brian ;) (sorry)

Thats a real pity,decent guy who always had the best interests of the town at heart.Best of luck to him and his family :(

I have been told that since Christmas 10 shops have closed. If that's correct then there is something radically wrong. I think that part of the problem is the gridlock in the town. At times it's impossible to get through it in less than 15 minutes - Newry Bridge to Hill St Bridge. Some of the streets are in bad condition too i.e. the massive crater in Bachelors Walk where the water mains collapsed. It has been like that for over 6 months and is getting deeper. The Council seem to be ignoring it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

High rates are too high on the town centre properties, its an extra overhead which is unsustainable. And other overheads have increased too eg one shopkeeper was telling me his electricity bill is double what it was 10 or 12 years ago. No wonder so many shops are closing.

talkofthetown.ie/2014/04/24/new-boutique-to-open-on-clanbrassil-street-in-dundalk-next-week/

Seems News & Deli is back open??

Was mentioned way back in this thread about the possibilty of Dealz opening in the old Pennys unit in the Longwalk SC.Seems like they will be opening in Dundalk in Earl street if a planning application in this weeks Dundalk Leader is anything to go by.

Poundland t/a Dealz... Seeking planning permission for Fascia signage,window manifestations and a projecting sign at Earl house,Earl street Dundalk.....

Earl House(National Irish bank etc.) is currently undergoing a major facelift/renovation.

Was mentioned way back in this thread about the possibilty of Dealz opening in the old Pennys unit in the Longwalk SC.Seems like they will be opening in Dundalk in Earl street if a planning application in this weeks Dundalk Leader is anything to go by.

Poundland t/a Dealz... Seeking planning permission for Fascia signage,window manifestations and a projecting sign at Earl house,Earl street Dundalk.....

Earl House(National Irish bank etc.) is currently undergoing a major facelift/renovation.

Hope its not another feckin pound shop.

I have to say Dealz is actually not a bad spot. For certain food products and some gardening and other disposable tools, you wouldn't look past them in comparison to the same branded items in main stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Wish they'd do something with the Carroll Village SC.

Place is a massive eyesore.

• Advertisement

James__10 wrote: »
    Wish they'd do something with the Carroll Village SC.

Place is a massive eyesore.

The exterior could do with a lick of paint and a bit off a clean up alright,Very shabby looking these days.

I was Sad to hear this morning that Joans Stores on the Avenue Road will be closing next Friday after 33 years in business.:(

Advertisement