Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringing and texting home

Options
  • 10-01-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Has anyone had a problem whereas you can't text some people,

I got a oz num thd other day and text family and friends back home my num, it sent to most no probs but to three of them it's keeps saying msg failure.

I've changed everybodies num to +353 and I can ring those 3 nums but can't text them.

Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Don't suppose you are using iMessage -> iMessage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

viber is handy too although they've got to have it on their phones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I've had the very same problem. The OH has the identical android, the same provider and same number is put in yet can only send certain texts through her phone. Bizarre.

Have tried loads of combinations but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

There is an app called OTO Global that you should use for ringing home from your mobile
    I know viber is free...via Mobile - Mobile assuming they have viber

OTO lets you ring any landline for a 'local' cost. I use it to call home to landlines from here in South Korea, saves a fortune.
    I don't know how the pricing works with regards to calling mobiles, probably the same though.

Actually looking at it now, calling Ireland to Land and mobile is listed as free (from here in South Korea anyways)
    If I were to call Germany for instance, mobiles are listed as 64W/min (works out at...about 4c / Min)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We've got an optus landline/broadband package and ringing landlines in Ireland costs the same as a local call but calls to mobiles are pricy.
    If only everyone had smart phones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hussey wrote: »
    Don't suppose you are using iMessage -> iMessage?

This is my thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

I have iMessage and viber...

But some of my friends don't and the message is going thru no probs..

But to my dad for eg. I can ring him but can't text and its also happening to two of my friends.

I'm textn off my oz num.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I had a problem with iMessage -> iMessage to my brother, in the end I ended up just clicking 'send as text message' never figured out the problem in the end :-( as he switched to android a few weeks later

Does your settings look lik this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Have the recipients recently changed from iphone to a different phone? I changed from iphone to samsung a few months ago and wasn't receiving some of my texts. The issue was that people were texting to my imessage but they weren't being delivered because my imessage hadn't been deactivated. I deactivated imessage on my old iphone (this can also be done online or by ringing apple) and problem sorted.

From your side, 'send as text message' should reach the recipient.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    Does your settings look lik this

First off, I didn't upgrade to ios7 so it doesn't look like that!

I just recieved a text from my dad so he can text me and I can ring him but can't text him.

My msgs are going thru to other friends that don't have iPhones.

I'm puzzled.

top madra wrote: »
    First off, I didn't upgrade to ios7 so it doesn't look like that!

I just recieved a text from my dad so he can text me and I can ring him but can't text him.

My msgs are going thru to other friends that don't have iPhones.

I'm puzzled.

The messages are attempting to be sent via iMessage and failing. You need to find the setting on your iOS version and set it to use text when iMessage fails.

Zambia wrote: »
    The messages are attempting to be sent via iMessage and failing. You need to find the setting on your iOS version and set it to use text when iMessage fails.

Settings-message-send as SMS-on

It has been on all along, my other msgs are sending to my friends as iMessage and normal SMS.

Plus the numbers I can't text to are on different carriers, one is 02 and the other Vodafone.

And I can text another friend who is on Vodafone but hasn't a iPhone.

As I said I'm baffled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

What operator are you sending the text messages from?

What operators are you sending the text messages to? (for each number)

Mobile operators generally interconnect within their own jurisdiction directly for voice, data, and SMS. When interconnecting internationally they sometimes make direct connections but not always. Some operators use aggregators and the routing can get messed up. Also, the operator sending the SMS needs to have completed an IR.21 with the remote operator. In some cases an operator will connect to an aggregator (such as Belgacom) but not have an agreement with the remote carrier. As a result, you may not be able to send to that remote operator. However, the remote operator may default to the same aggregator and they may be able to send to you. (usually due to misconfiguration). This is quite common. Unfortunately.

And it all gets quite messy if one of the parties or both are using an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) such as Lycamobile for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I had a similar issue, but it only showed up when I got a new phone with ios7. I'd had problems replying to international numbers previously, would only send if I started a new conversation, but on the new phone (which I had set up with all my settings & data from the old 1) it wouldn't work at all. Vodafone said there was no reason on my account why it wouldn't work. In the end the only thing apple could do that worked was to reset my phone to original factory settings & it meant that I couldn't restore it with all my data, photos etc from my old phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It's quite possible that it's a message routing problem if it's not iMessage you're using. What networks are you trying to text back in Ireland have you any idea? I know vodafone ie have been having routing problems since about 2 weeks before Xmas and this is supposed to be happening with a few operators around the world. Calling however won't be a problem... Just a thought

One is Vodafone and the others are 02..

But I can also text others friends on Vodafone, it's just these 3 nums that won't send.

There could be more but I haven't text them yet.

As I said its strange because I can ring all 3 and have recieved texts and calls from two.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

top madra wrote: »
    One is Vodafone and the others are 02..

But I can also text others friends on Vodafone, it's just these 3 nums that won't send.

There could be more but I haven't text them yet.

As I said its strange because I can ring all 3 and have recieved texts and calls from two.

Are you sure that they are actually on Vodafone and not just 087?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

I had the same problem while texting my Dad from my optus Phone. I solved it by changing his name from Dad to his actual name and the bloody thing started working. Don't ask me how it worked!! Try doing that and see does it help.

Advertisement