Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nadal has barely moved during Stan's last two service games. Seems to be saving all his energy for his own service games. Serving for set now. Lose this and he's finished, win it and who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Spoke too soon hah. He needs to keep his concentration and not get ahead of himself. Easier said than done I suppose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Make Rafa move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

efb wrote: »
    Make Rafa move!

Or, at least don't make unforced errors.

Yes! Get in!

That was woeful by Stan.

Nadal hasn't been close to breaking since early in the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Amazing the turnaround in Nadal. One of his greatest performances ever against Federer just the other day and he looked feeble for much of the match thus far, wonder can he really turn it around and take it to a 5th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

As much as it pains me to say it Nadal can't win this. He can't contest on any serve against and is struggling just to win his own.

Anybody who suffers with back problems and plays sport will know just how debilitating those problems can be. I'm surprised Nadal has been able to get this so far in the game, but unfortunately a come back is not to be.

John.Icy wrote: »
    ...He's looked feeble for much of the match thus far, wonder can he really turn it around and take it to a 5th!

Okay, [gender-neutral term for collection of posters], whom is your money on?

I think that Wawrinka only needs to recover for one of Nadal's service games and he's got it in the bag.

So, here goes...WAWRINKA TO WIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

I think that Wawrinka only needs to recover for one of Nadal's service games and he's got it in the bag.

Stan for me. Serving first in this set should help the nerves.

Right down the tram line! Get in!!!

Theres the break. Come on Stan. See it out.

He just wrote off the 3rd it seems

I really want Stan to win, one of the only lads around atm that has a beautiful game to watch, there's something about a one handed backhand that gets to me! In every way, Stan is very similar to a Federer of old, heck his backhand is even better due to Stans control over it. Definitely can see Stan notch up a few grand slams if he can keep this up.

Buuuut, I can see Nadal crawling back into it, he is a fighter.

Stan is up a break, c'mooooooooon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

C'mon Stan!!!

• Advertisement

I preface this by saying that I didn't see the first two sets (!!), but, based on current performance, Wawrinka does not deserve to win this!

What a crazy match. A 70% Nadal hanging in thanks mainly to Stan's unforced errors.

Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Shocking game from Stan there

Great rally

• Advertisement

Come on STAN!!!

Sweet!

New balls for Aces!!!

This has to be it. New balls. Four big serves. First Grand Slam awaits.

Get in. Delighted for him.

Well done Stan!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted for Stan. Delighted. How impacting was Nadal's injury? Didn't see most of the first 3 sets.

Set and a break uninjured then Rafa got injured put Stan off his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

walshb wrote: »
    Delighted for Stan. Delighted. How impacting was Nadal's injury? Didn't see most of the first 3 sets.

Didn't see most of it either but it seems a bit demeaning to Wawrinka when the BBC commentators start harping on about Nadals injury the moment he's won the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

what price was wawrinka at start of tournament?

I wonder can anyone tell me what irked Wawrinka about Nadal and his injury time out?

• Advertisement

Didn't see most of it either but it seems a bit demeaning to Wawrinka when the BBC commentators start harping on about Nadals injury the moment he's won the match.
    Well in fairness it was the main talking point of the final. Delighted Stan has won it but there's no doubt he did it against a clearly subdued Nadal. Stan new Swiss number one as well.

I wonder can anyone tell me what irked Wawrinka about Nadal and his injury time out?

Breaking his great form

Super happy for Stan. So refreshing to see such an attacking style winning a slam again. Makes for a hugely interesting year, Stan has arrived, Nadal and Novak will always be around, Murray on the way back and despite what many think I feel Federer will be around in the late stages of slams again this year. Enticing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

What are the odds of Li Na or Stan Wawrinka doing a calendar Grand Slam??:pac:

Really enjoyed this year's Aussie...what little I saw of it. Upsets all over the place. Bodes well for 2014 season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well done Stan!

Rumours on twitter that Rafa isn't doing press, going straight to hospital. I wonder if the crying was more physical pain than loss?

Don't think you can take it away from Stan though. What a turnaround from his heartbreak here last year. He's steadily improved all year and is a deserved champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Stan was beating a 100% nadal in the first set and he did so playing amazing tennis. His level dropped hugely after the MTO. Really hard to keep concentration against an injured opponent. Credit it to him for getting his head together finally.
    Well done Stan, no question that it was deserved.
    World no. 3 as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Like many others didn't bother with the first two sets, then switched on and... stunned :confused::D

Rafa's in press now, so obviously those rumours I mentioned were just that.

Eurosport discussing how faster balls and court made for a much more entertaining tournament this year.

• Advertisement

Mousewar wrote: »
    Stan was beating a 100% nadal in the first set and he did so playing amazing tennis. His level dropped hugely after the MTO. Really hard to keep concentration against an injured opponent. Credit it to him for getting his head together finally.
    Well done Stan, no question that it was deserved.
    World no. 3 as well!
    Stan played great tennis in that opening set but there's no way Nadal was 100%. His movement was clearly restricted for certain points. Got worse as the set progressed ultimately leading to the MTO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Pighead wrote: »
    Stan played great tennis in that opening set but there's no way Nadal was 100%. His movement was clearly restricted for certain points. Got worse as the set progressed ultimately leading to the MTO.

Oh so he was injured the first set and a half too?! :rolleyes:

So happy Stan won, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't feeling a little bit flat about it :(

^ I think you are right Pighead, just read that in the press conference he was asked about his back and he said he felt it during the warm up and it got progressively worse but refused to say anything else about it and said it was Stan's day not his.

I'm not taking anything away from Stan, he was absolutely phenomenal for the first 45 minutes but there is no way Rafa was 100%. The boos he got when he took the MTO were uncalled for, it was like when Tomic retired and the crowd booed him, now he's having hip surgery! Nadal deserves a lot of admiration for how he conducted himself during this match, it's a life lesson right there, never ever give up. The exchange at the net and both of their speeches were lovely as well, two genuine, humble, just all in all nice people.

Can't believe Stan is now world number 3!! And a grand slam champion!! Thrilled to bits for him :D

Oh so he was injured the first set and a half too?! :rolleyes:

So happy Stan won, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't feeling a little bit flat about it :(
    Well he took his MTO early in the second set so I would say it's pretty clear he was injured during the first set and a half? That's not in question. Now if he was in pain in the first set is up for debate but to me Nadal was not at full throttle. I seen him give up on balls he would never do if fully fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

He got injured in the third game of the second set, you can't blame that for losing the first set and going down an early break in the second set.

Eurosport discussing how faster balls and court made for a much more entertaining tournament this year.
    Not wanting to get into the whole debate again but where are they getting this info from? Did you think the courts played faster this year? It really confuses me how anyone but the players and tournament officials can even attempt to judge court speeds.

• Advertisement

They used lighter balls this year didn't they? That's what made it faster.

I thought it was a great tournament, very exciting, although I can't say I noticed any difference in the speed. But I'd say the players are the only ones that noticed the change. Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't notice anything different!

Pighead wrote: »
    Not wanting to get into the whole debate again but where are they getting this info from? Did you think the courts played faster this year? It really confuses me how anyone but the players and tournament officials can even attempt to judge court speeds.

When the people who watch and play tennis for a living all say they're playing faster I tend to take their word for it.

WaterLily. wrote: »
    They used lighter balls this year didn't they? That's what made it faster.

I heard it said a few times, faster balls and medium courts.

He got injured in the third game of the second set, you can't blame that for losing the first set and going down an early break in the second set.
    Neither of us could possibly know for certain if his back was at him during the first set. I think it was (which according to Water Lily Nadal has confirmed in the post match press conference) you don't think it was (which would mean Nadal was not telling the truth which of course is possible).

But I would say watch the first set again and note the shots were Nadal doesn't even attempt to try and get. Pat Cash commentating for the BBC noticed something wrong as well as early as the fourth game.

"Wawrinka has settled very well but Nadal actually looks slightly nervous and as if he is playing with all the pressure on him. Nadal is playing about half pace and is very tentative. I don't think he's hit one ball flat out yet."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Regarding the booing of nadal the stadium was packed, some drunk a***holes booed, it was no big deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement