Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud And Theft... hellllppp :(

Options
  • 10-01-2014 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Im a 22 Year Old Single Mother, Running a Home And Working Part Time.
    Because of My Low Income i Recieve Rent Allowance On The Last Wednesday Of Every Month, From The Social Welfare..
    I was sent a cheque via post on the 19th of December (early because of christmas).. However, i Didnt Recieve The Cheque. Im 99.9% Sure It Was Stolen From My Letterbox, As i Live In An Apartment And Have a Communal Hallway Where All The Letterboxes Are.
    Long Story Short;

The Cheque Was Cashed On The 31st Of December..
    Lodged Into a Bank Account In Bank Of Ireland..
    The Social Where Able To Retrieve a Photocopy Of The Actual Cheque That Was Stolen And Lodged..
    There Was No Signature/Date/Address Signed On The back Of The Cheque..

I Have Spent The Past 3 Days Making Endless Phonecalls To Social welfare, Citizens Advice, Garda And Bank Of Ireland, And Ive Just Been Passed From One To The Other Without Any answers.

Obviously i Cant Be Told The Account Holders Name Or Anything due To Data Protection But Surely the Bank Can Put Together enough evidence That The Person who lodged the cheque is not me and reimburse me..

If Anyone At All Can Help Me Out Here I would be forever greatfull :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LyndsayR

Ive attached an image above with the unsigned back of cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sorry for the awful situation, but what are you seeking help with? Its clearly an alleged crime of, as you say, theft and/or fraud. Once reported to the Gardaí and Social Welfare what else can be done but let them investigate it? I presume they have all the information you have posted and can give them?

This is probably the wrong forum anyway, maybe try 'Legal Discussion' or 'Biz/Personal/State Benefits'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

contact the cops, send a regestered letter to the bank, setting out what happened, keep this as short as possible, write out your letter, read it, read it the second time, edit it, then edit it the second time, make two copys of it, tell them that you have copys saved, as letters have a habit of falling through cracks in the floorboards,do the same with a letter to the social welfare office you need to clearly state out everything, sorry op, but if the letter is like your post then it will only see the waste bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Also sorry to hear about your situation, op.

The person who stole it clearly isn't very intelligent as it would take all of 10 mins for the bank to figure out who they are.

I think like all things in this country it will probably take time for them to investigate it and return the money to you.

What have the bank said to you? Have they told you to contact someone else or said that they are looking into it?

Also judging by the op's post, they are more than capable of writing a formal letter..

The use of Caps for every word makes it extremely difficult and annoying to read your post though.

Calling into a Garda station may be useful if you haven't done so already.

Good luck!

Advertisement