Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All about California's Laws

Options
  • 10-01-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I've started this thread to discuss about the laws of California.

There are some funny ones out there but one that really gets the attention is the weapons laws / controls.

To start with here's an overview of what it's like for that:

Another area to consider is the driving laws.

Here if you have an accident with another driver and you are at fault you can be jailed instantly before being bailed later, this happened to a friend of mine.

This is quite different to the European countries so proper driving and care is essential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Here if you have an accident with another driver and you are at fault you can be jailed instantly before being bailed later, this happened to a friend of mine.

This is the case almost everywhere.....it's completely up to the officer on scene......if you're at fault for an accident, generally you can be cited for reckless driving, failure to maintain control, endangerment, or any other list of offenses......the responding officer always has the option to just right you a ticket, but he is just as entitled to forgoe writing the ticket and take you into custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just very generally (i'm no expert) ; Federal US law is referred to as the "US Code" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Code

Each state also has its own "Code" so to research California Law you'd look under the California Code. I believe some states share their codes. All are based on the US Code which is based on English Law, obviously with differences over time (louisana has elements of old french law).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_law

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The type of issues that tourists are prone to fall foul of are different in the various states because they fall under traffic and public order which are outside the remit of the US Congress i.e. they are enacted by the individual state legislatures and enforced by the county sheriff and his deputies or the city police. The rules can also vary within each state depending on whether a particular city or county chooses to enforce even tighter regulations.

We're talking about things like drinking in public, carrying (unopened) booze in the saloon of the car, turning right on red, how to report an auto collision etc. etc.

Don't really see how a thread on boards could comprehensively cover all the permutations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

coylemj wrote: »
    The type of issues that tourists are prone to fall foul of are different in the various states because they fall under traffic and public order which are outside the remit of the US Congress i.e. they are enacted by the individual state legislatures and enforced by the county sheriff and his deputies or the city police. The rules can also vary within each state depending on whether a particular city or county chooses to enforce even tighter regulations.

We're talking about things like drinking in public, carrying (unopened) booze in the saloon of the car, turning right on red, how to report an auto collision etc. etc.

Don't really see how a thread on boards could comprehensively cover all the permutations.

and don't forget variances within each city. In San Francisco it's OK to drink alcohol in the Golden Gate Park, but not in any of the others. (for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Yep you need to know not JUST the state, but the area within the state... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement