Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KILNABOY 10 MILE 2014 - HAPPENING?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Is this going ahead this year? Can't find anthing anywhere about it. I know it was poorly attended last year.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wasn't it on the same day as the national 10K last year? given Kilnaboy is really a race that attracts club runners it's probably a major factor in last years low numbers.
    Have wanted to try this one and as I don't reckon I'll be ready for Mallow would have liked to see this one is still on especially as Cruaghwell is on the same day as Mallow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Giving this a bump... It's on 'running in Munster' as April 13th but can't see it anywhere else. Any further information elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Giving this a bump... It's on 'running in Munster' as April 13th but can't see it anywhere else. Any further information elsewhere?

Its on Athletics Irelands calender to, but apart from that have not seen it anywhere.

I just noticed as well that there is three other 10 milers on the same day, craughwell in Galway, castleisland in Kerry and Cobh in cork.... Very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Just Spoke to Organiser. This is going ahead on April 13th @ 1 P.M. which is an hour earlier then normal

• Advertisement

I just noticed as well that there is three other 10 milers on the same day, craughwell in Galway, castleisland in Kerry and Cobh in cork.... Very strange!

Is Craughwell not on the 23rd of March? Same day as Mallow?

Oops, I stand corrected. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ladiee Person

I found this online:

30th Annual Michael (Sonny Murphy Memorial) 10 Mile open road race at Kilnaboy Co Clare

Sunday April 13th 2014 at 1 p.m.

Also 6 k Walk starting at 1.10 p.m.

Athletics association of Ireland open permit granted

Technical T Shirt for first 300 entries

Refreshments served
    Prizes

First 10 Senior Men First 6 Senior Ladies First 3 Junior men Under 20
    First 3 Ladies teams (3 to score) First 3 masters women over 35,/ 40,/45,/50,
    First 4 Men’s teams (4 to score) First 3 masters men over 40,/45,/50,/55,/60,
    Road race Entry fee €20.00 per person.
    6 k fun walk Entry fee € 8.00 per person.

OK so... It's clear it is actually happening, how does one enter?? Can't find entry anywhere...

OK so... It's clear it is actually happening, how does one enter?? Can't find entry anywhere...

They had entry last year on run ireland but with just over 100 running I would think that entry will be on the day before hand in the Community Hall so give yourself at least 30 minutes. I doubt this will have the numbers of the other Ten Milers because of its timing and seanic views :)

Anyone think of running a marthon late May Early June this is a great prep race. Its not flat but is a true test for ten miles.

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    They had entry last year on run ireland but with just over 100 running I would think that entry will be on the day before hand in the Community Hall so give yourself at least 30 minutes. I doubt this will have the numbers of the other Ten Milers because of its timing and seanic views :)

Anyone think of running a marthon late May Early June this is a great prep race. Its not flat but is a true test for ten miles.

How long from Dublin to Kilnaboy? :)

Would like to do this one but national 10k may win out for me

You should do it in less than 3 hrs on a Sunday morning easily enough I would say... Depending on your compliance with the law obviously!

2.5 to 3 hours. Come down the M6 drop off before the toll in Ballinsloe-West for Loughrea-Gort-Corofin-Kilnaboy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Or via Limerick tunnel to drive motorway for all but the last 17km, cheaper tolls, and 3 hours +/-.

Shame how it has declined from being so popular during the Munster 10m series heyday.

Just a gentle reminder that this race will sell out @ 12:45 on Sunday so dont miss out.:P

Gonna travel for this.... Looking forward to it now, anyone know if we pass Fr Tedd house on the route? A nice distraction if so! Hope to earn of those 'first 300 entries' tshirts as I just realised I've no tshirt from a race in my home county, last one I entered was a bright yellow cotton tshirt, which needless to say I don't wear... Any info on the elevation of this one, is it a series of small ups and downs, or a couple of more significant climbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Gonna travel for this.... Looking forward to it now, anyone know if we pass Fr Tedd house on the route? A nice distraction if so! Hope to earn of those 'first 300 entries' tshirts as I just realised I've no tshirt from a race in my home county, last one I entered was a bright yellow cotton tshirt, which needless to say I don't wear... Any info on the elevation of this one, is it a series of small ups and downs, or a couple of more significant climbs?

You won't pass the house on the way (it's off the beaten track) but it is very close to Kilnaboy and worth a trip after the race. That's what we did a few years ago. Don't ask me the direction to it from the race HQ...totally forget, but it wasn't more than a 10 minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Results here along with some photos

Did this yesterday, a nice challenging route as suggested, once we turned at mile 4ish a nice strong wind into the faces until turning again with 400 meters to go. Lots of little rolling hills but nothing major. A nice surface to run on all the way around. A nice route in a very nice setting with good support at a few spots, only 103 runners, seemed to be mostly club entries too. I think they don't do enough to publicise it, no online entry etc. It would be good if it was better supported as I've done a good few of the various 10 milers and it definately has the potential to be just as good as dungarvan or mallow, even if its a little more challenging. In saying that, had a great day myself, set out looking to scrape under 82 mins but came home well under 80 so well chuffed. I think I'll be back and onward to the Castleisland 10miler now with a good bit more confidence to chip away at the time...

Must be PB for a race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ger664 wrote: »
    Must be PB for a race report.

Good stuff Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

1st time doing it, not the easiest race so I can understand how it wouldn't appeal to everyone. however its very well organised & supported by the locals. would definitely do it again. nice route as well, very good value

Advertisement