Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with AIB

Options
  • 10-01-2014 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I went into my AIB branch yesterday to close my current account. The agent who was dealing with me asked me did I want to close my Click Credit Card as well. My problem is I've never had an AIB CC. The cashier rang the relevant department and was told that I ordered it online in March 2009 and I owed €54 in government levies. They put the account on hold to avoid me having a huge bill being run up ( very kind of them). When I queried was the account activated I was told no, and when I asked where was the CC sent to, I found out they had sent it to an address I had left 2 years previously. The cashier then told me that if I didn't pay the balance it would go against my credit rating! What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

lodge a formal complaint with their complaints department. it will cost them less to write off the 54 quid as a goodwill gesture than to put the time and effort into dealing with the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ultimately, the question is did your order the card?

What I find strange about all this, is did you not notice a direct debit coming out of your current account every month for the last 4 years? After all, I assume that a direct debit was taking the minimum 5% of the debt every month. That's the only way I can explain a debt of €54. If you had not being making any repayments, then the stamp duty for 4 years would be a lot greater, with a lot of interest, late payment charges etc added on top .

As coffeenut said, you could try and complain and bully them into letting you off. But ultimately, they're the ones down €54 from your mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

dotsman wrote: »
    Ultimately, the question is did your order the card?

What I find strange about all this, is did you not notice a direct debit coming out of your current account every month for the last 4 years? After all, I assume that a direct debit was taking the minimum 5% of the debt every month. That's the only way I can explain a debt of €54. If you had not being making any repayments, then the stamp duty for 4 years would be a lot greater, with a lot of interest, late payment charges etc added on top .

As coffeenut said, you could try and complain and bully them into letting you off. But ultimately, they're the ones down €54 from your mistake.

I didn't order the card. There was no direct debit, there was no card, there was no paper trail. The first I heard of any of this was when I went into the branch to close my current account. The €54 are government levies but AIB froze the CC account after two years so I wouldn't accrue any more levies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kaiser31 wrote: »
    I didn't order the card. There was no direct debit, there was no card, there was no paper trail. The first I heard of any of this was when I went into the branch to close my current account. The €54 are government levies but AIB froze the CC account after two years so I wouldn't accrue any more levies.

If that is the case, ask them to show proof you ordered the card.

Advertisement