Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby monitor for use with android

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Just looking to see what people think of these? Seeing as we have all this technology we are thinking about fully embracing it, but looking to find out if it's worth it. Withings have a monitor that works with your devices coming in at €250 (my jaw dropped with this price) whereas plenty of people seem to be using security cameras for less than half the price.

Has anyone got something similar? How does it suit you?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://foscam.us/ are supposed to be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I have the withings monitor and it is very good - the picture isn't the clearest on night vision, but you can pan around the room and zoom, and it works with android and apple devices. It works on 3G/WiFi as well as Bluetooth. It would have a fairly good resale value I'd say if you wanted to sell it after you're finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I was looking at the foscam alright, it seems to get plenty of very good reviews. Herself is leaning more towards the withings because it's designed as a baby monitor rather than a security camera. It's only our first on the way and there's plans for plenty more, so probably won't be trying to sell it any time soon.

Apart from the night picture being fuzzy is there any thing else with the withings you think could be improved on? The temperature and humidity sensor and the two way radio are the only things the withings has that the foscom security camera doesn't, so do you think it's worth paying to have those extras?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Lustrum wrote: »
    I was looking at the foscam alright, it seems to get plenty of very good reviews. Herself is leaning more towards the withings because it's designed as a baby monitor rather than a security camera. It's only our first on the way and there's plans for plenty more, so probably won't be trying to sell it any time soon.

Apart from the night picture being fuzzy is there any thing else with the withings you think could be improved on? The temperature and humidity sensor and the two way radio are the only things the withings has that the foscom security camera doesn't, so do you think it's worth paying to have those extras?

Thanks again

You can control everything from the app, for example, you can turn on a lullaby, set it to a timer, control the volume. There is a little night light that you can control as well but it's not strong enough to work as a light IMO. Being able to access the video stream from outside the house is great - if you're out, you can check in on baba as often as you need/want to. It has a lithium battery which is handy for bringing it to other parts of the house, and the fact that it works on apple and android devices is good too. It sends an alert to your phone/device if noise or movement is detected, or if the temp goes too low or too high. There is a slight delay (about a second or two) on the feed which annoys me. It has sleek looks as well if design is important.
    TBH I'd have been happy with any old video monitor, but the OH ordered this when I was in hospital having him, so I didn't get a say! Having said that, I do like it now that it's here and it is very advantageous being able to access the video feed from more than one device at a time. You can enable continuous listening if you need to use your device, so you'll still be able to hear and you'll still receive alerts for movement/sound even if you aren't watching the feed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

FOscam do a specific baby monitor aswell but the ip cameras are way more fun:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement