Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly man (80's), living alone, no phoneline with 2 weeks!!

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

An elderly man in his 80's, living alone, isolated in rural Ireland has had no phoneline with over 2 weeks.

We logged the fault on December 30th and it still has not been sorted.

I contacted Eircom a short while ago and while the rep said he understood the situation, I was just told about the amount of faults logged yesterday and today and that they were swamped. I appreciate that and asked if somebody who is elderly, living alone might get some priority as his phone is his lifeline. His response was that anybody that logs a fault is a priority and he would be more concerned about the people who don't log it.

I asked if there was any indication of when it will be fixed. He said it could be tomorrow, could be Sunday and that they have been told it could be another 8 days!

So I told the elderly man that it could take maybe another 8 days and he broke down crying in front of me. He told me that he is so upset because he can't contact anybody, is depending on somebody to call into him and evenings have gone by where he has been so lonely.

He has been robbed on a few occasions and if this were to happen again he has no way of alerting anybody. He is terrified!! He isn't able to use a mobile (we have tried and tried) and we can't be with him 24/7.

This is absolutely scandalous. I appreciate that there are many in a similar situation but 2 weeks later and still no indication of when it will be fixed is very poor service in my opinion.

I hope Eircom are happy that they have reduced a man of his age to tears!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

An elderly man in his 80's, living alone, isolated in rural Ireland has had no phoneline with over 2 weeks.

We logged the fault on December 30th and it still has not been sorted.

I contacted Eircom a short while ago and while the rep said he understood the situation, I was just told about the amount of faults logged yesterday and today and that they were swamped. I appreciate that and asked if somebody who is elderly, living alone might get some priority as his phone is his lifeline. His response was that anybody that logs a fault is a priority and he would be more concerned about the people who don't log it.

I asked if there was any indication of when it will be fixed. He said it could be tomorrow, could be Sunday and that they have been told it could be another 8 days!

So I told the elderly man that it could take maybe another 8 days and he broke down crying in front of me. He told me that he is so upset because he can't contact anybody, is depending on somebody to call into him and evenings have gone by where he has been so lonely.

He has been robbed on a few occasions and if this were to happen again he has no way of alerting anybody. He is terrified!! He isn't able to use a mobile (we have tried and tried) and we can't be with him 24/7.

This is absolutely scandalous. I appreciate that there are many in a similar situation but 2 weeks later and still no indication of when it will be fixed is very poor service in my opinion.

I hope Eircom are happy that they have reduced a man of his age to tears!!
    Hi phoneless14

I can understand the urgency here. This must be in a part of the country affected by recent weather conditions and delays. Can you PM me the telephone line and account number if you have that and I will do my best to speed this up. This is certainly an exceptional case.
    Thanks
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7 phoneless14

Pm sent Tony.

We really would appreciate that this be sorted for him ASAP

Thanks

Pm sent Tony.

We really would appreciate that this be sorted for him ASAP

Thanks
    I have spoken with area manager there, assigned tech is currently on other case, but we will push this one for you.
    As advised, I will call you as soon as we have an update on this.
    Tony 

• Registered Users Posts: 7 phoneless14

Thank you so much for your help Tony. The technician is currently on site and fixing the line. Please pass on our thanks to anyone else that helped. We really do appreciate it.

Thank you so much for your help Tony. The technician is currently on site and fixing the line. Please pass on our thanks to anyone else that helped. We really do appreciate it.
    Happy to help phoneless14 and hope issue is resolved very soon.
    I will pass on your thanks to the technical team.
    Happy new year.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement