Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Help

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I know there are many threads about mobile broadband already but most are outdated and not of any use. I'm a student and moving into a new apartment next term. Unfortunately there is no internet with the place so I will need to get my own. I will only need it for 4 months. I will only use the internet for emails and a couple of hours of netflix/ player a week ( if possible :-( ) . Could anyone tell me which mobile broadband provider would be most suitable and reliable? I know 02 have a 10/month deal but am worried about not knowing if I'm going over the 15GB...

Any knowledge at all would be greatly appreciated! I am fairly clueless!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A good 3g signal is important, without that nothing else matters. Try to find out what other residents in the apartment are using and find good, eg 02, 3, Meteor.

Or could you borrow a friends dongle to test what the signal strenght is like in your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Netflix is really data hungry, so be *really* careful on your data usage. May be best with a pay as you go, as you often come across people who have ended up watching a few movies online (even youtube too can have this affect) and then are presented with a significantly large bill to give them a heart attack (ok, i'm being a bit dramatic with the heart attack but you get what i'm saying).

Also be careful as danjo-xx says above, coverage is really important. I had someone in my extended family that had an O2 dongle which was useless at their house. Worked fine elsewhere but in their house where they wanted it for, the coverage was terrible and the device unusable. They had it on bill pay and were in a contract for 12 months iirc. The company had not an ounce of compassion as to their prediciment. So, be sure before you get yourself into something.

One final thought. Take a look at who's around you in the new place and it might be worthwhile enquiring if anyone with real broadband, UPC, Eircom, etc... would allow you access even on a cost sharing basis. You'd be likely to have a better quality of service if it was an option.

Advertisement