Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new immersion switch

Options
  • 10-01-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am trying to help a friend where she can't afford an electrician. i hope i can get some answers here.

for what i understood the switch was making some noises so some friend have took the wires out and advised her for new plug. however she have gotten a new plug and now needs to be installed.

i have been looking through the forums for answers but nothing so far.

from the wall i have three wires out (Black, Red and plain copper which looks its earth) red is the live wire after testing out.

i have noticed there is an addition black wire in the plug itself seems to be circuiting to somewhere else in the plug but not sure where as its been pulled out.

please see attach of the old plug and the new plug.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I thought for a while before even typing anything, I understand all too well the problems about cash flow.

From the appearance of the old wires in the wall, the initial problem was a loose screw on the old switch, which has damaged the wire from the main panel.

The wiring is old, based on the colours and the absence of any screening on the earth wire.

The new switch has a different layout to the old one, which may cause serious problems.

If you're not absolutely confident in what you're doing, because the new switch is different to the old one, I would have to recommend using an electrician to make sure that new switch is safe, as the wires in the wall may not be long enough to connect to the correct terminals on the new switch. Sorting that is not something you will be able to do,

Sorry I can't be more specific

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Thank you, I was hoping I can help her.

I have a bit of idea with electricity and wiring but haven't came across this before.

Unfortunately she can't afford an electrician and I don't mind to get my hands dirty if there is anyone can guide me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

you'll need to get an electrician

do you know anyone?

it's too tricky if you have no electrical experience..it's not safe to guide you through

I have minimal experience. As I have done some wiring for my attic and shed.

however if you do recommend an electrician I will have to go with that. I will advise the lady and its up to her from there.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wouldn't touch an immersion in someone else's house, you're seriously asking for trouble.

Someone else advised your friend and took out the old switch, now she wants you to fit the new one - why not the other guy? I suspect the guy who was there before you has already told her to hire a professional.

Walk.

• Advertisement

You probably right, but I had try and help if I can.

thank you for your advise.

Advertisement