Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitesurfing in ireland in July

• 10-01-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Kiters,

I will be in Ireland for 2 weeks in July visiting a friend and doing some kitesurfing. We are planning to rent a house close to a kitesurfbeach. What is the best place to stay where the weather/wind forecast is the most reliable?

Thank you so much for your advice,

Kind regards,

Joeri
    Amsterdam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

achill island- keel beach,
    sligo area
    kerry-castlegregory
    waterford area
    on no wind days there will be lots to do locally.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joethepreacher

Dear RJE66,

thank you for your response. This is very helpful, although these regions are not easy to choose from..
    Is the west coast regularly more wind secure?
    And are most beaches easy accessable for kitesurfing? Are there any recommendable spots?
    What is your favorite spot?

and since my friend is living in Dublin, wont it more convenient to go the waterland area?

Thank you so much for your help. If you have other recommendations (such as good websites for spot info) it would be very helpfull.

Kind regards,
    Joeri, Amsterdam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

Dear RJE66,

thank you for your response. This is very helpful, although these regions are not easy to choose from..
    Is the west coast regularly more wind secure?
    And are most beaches easy accessable for kitesurfing? Are there any recommendable spots?
    What is your favorite spot?

and since my friend is living in Dublin, wont it more convenient to go the waterland area?

Thank you so much for your help. If you have other recommendations (such as good websites for spot info) it would be very helpfull.

Kind regards,
    Joeri, Amsterdam
    west is best
    all beaches are easily accessable, park beside, and other kiters around.
    fav spot is achill, its very rural with great scenery, great beaches a kitesurf lodge, www.puremagic.ie, camping beside beach, pubs with great music, friendly people about. if the sun shines and its windy , hey ho its the place to be.
    sligo is a large plesant town with a couple of decent beaches near by, and some great ones a little drive further. google lsd kitesurfing , they are the local gang up that way.

castlegregory is very like achill ,

waterford area im not too familiar with, but plenty of kiting there. tramore and duncannon are kite beaches.
    if you plan to stay in dublin and kite on the west coast its 2.5 h to sligo, 3.5 achill, about the same to kerry(?) but its best to try to stay in these places at least for a few days if its windy

there are kite beaches in dublin too and areas near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 4w7s

Hey Joeri,
    I've spent quite a bit of time on the West Coast and I agree with rje66... the west is the best! July is not generally known as being very windy, so keep your fingers crossed and watch the weather patterns closely while you are there. I'm not sure if you are looking for waves or flat water (?). Due to the nature of the shoreline and prevailing winds the kiting spots are a bit spread out from one another and sometimes you need to do a road trip to score. Also, the wind is often on-shore so be careful about where you ride and be aware of the tides.

During July the hotels, hostels, etc are often well booked especially on the weekends or bank holidays, so maybe find yourself a good base camp and be ready to mobilize from there. If you want to stay near the beach I would suggest staying in the Lahinch area. There are a few good places to ride near there. If you are really determined, you can drive north or south to seek out wind if the forecasting shows it. I'd say Lahinch is fairly central if you want to drive to Kerry or to Mayo for a day or 2 (or more). You can find a spot to camp out almost anywhere if you like that option.

Wherever you choose to ride, please try to check in with on of the local kiters to see if there are any restrictions or hazards to be aware of. Generally speaking everybody is pretty cool toward kiting...but be aware that during the summer the popular beaches can be very busy with swimmers, surfers, surf schools...and riding amongst the swimmers and surfers is a big NO NO. Keep well clear of others in the water and on the beach and you should be grand.

A fair amount of other things to do around Clare...surfing, SUP, climbing, hiking, golf, horses, good variety of pubs, resto's, music festivals, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Hey,

July not great time in Ireland for kiting. Wind aint too abundant then, but you might get a lucky week where it does blow.
    As mentioned - plenty other things to do tho.
    Oh and the southwest is best :D

• Advertisement

Dear rje66, fuerte1976 and 4w7s,

THank you so much for your tips. This is very helpfull.
    Probably I will be searching for a summer home for 2 weeks in the neighbourhood of catlegregory which is pretty close to different spots.

If you have any recommendations for sites measuring actual wind data I will be delighted to check them out.

Kind regards!
    joeri
    Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 13 4w7s

Castlegregory/Brandon Bay is one of the loveliest spots you'll ever ride. There are several spots along the bay between Gowlane and Fahamore where you can launch and ride. If you can find a house anywhere along this stretch you'll be grand. There's a decent food shop and several pubs in the village. The mountains surround the bay on the South and West so the wind can be gusty sometimes. At low tide the beach is a fairly continuous stretch of sand from one end of the bay to the other. I'd say you can ride there in WSW, W, NW, N winds. I've had some spectacular days there in the Fall when the swell is pumping. Don't forget your camera!

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your kind help. Really helpful. I will be delighted to get some wind in July.

There is a good offer to rent a house close to kenmare. Are there any good spots close by this town?

Warm regards,
    joeri
    Amsterdam

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your kind help. Really helpful. I will be delighted to get some wind in July.

There is a good offer to rent a house close to kenmare. Are there any good spots close by this town?

Warm regards,
    joeri
    Amsterdam

you'd be better off staying in Castlegregory. There are a good few holiday home type options to rent there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Hey,

Kenmare is a long distance from castlegregory. Waterville is a kiting spot close by to kenmare but the best spot is castlegregory as already mentioned. Stay in castlegregory, Dingle, Tralee or somewhere around that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 the waterman

cant go wrong coming west great wind range and an active community of kiters

Advertisement