Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange internet problem!

Options
  • 10-01-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys,

ok so i finally got the fibre internet a few days ago that eircom promissed all those months ago, but im having a pretty strange problem since. I live out the back off the house in a garage and when i tested the internet in the house using speedtest.net it was showing up arounds the 50MBps download and 16MBps upload, which is as promised by eircom. I use a devolo modem plugged into the eircom modem to send the internet through the power cables of the house up to my garage where it comes out the other modem and a LAN cable into my PC.

When i tested the garage internet im only getting around 1 MBps downlad but a 16MBps download!! this download is lower than what i was previously getting but this upload is fibre speed! the ping is also only around 33 so these would suddjest the fibre is here but still the crappy download?

I honestly have no how to go about this problem and help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Probably because the setup you have after the router is not Fibre capable, or the bandwidth is limited in your cabling system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I'd agree with Boom_Bap - you may need to upgrade and get yourself some 200-300Mbps powerline adapters, plenty of options nowadays. The ones I use are excellent:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1439175/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

This will take away the two completely unnecessary devices you have after your Eircom router and before your PC that's in your garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aaroncork

Thanks for the replies,

I dont think thats the problem as i have a devolo DLAN 200 AVmini which apparently has a speed of up to 200 Mbit/s ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Forget about speed, you are taking data transmitted over Fibre and converting it to the cable type in your wiring.
    Also the cabling in your house may not have the bandwidth to carry the data at the speed it's delivered by Fibre, or there could be noise on your lines that will degrade the quality.

I'm not familiar with the device you are using to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

aaroncork wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

I dont think thats the problem as i have a devolo DLAN 200 AVmini which apparently has a speed of up to 200 Mbit/s ?
    Ah well that explains a bit more, they aren't modems - they are powerline adapters which just extend your network LAN cable from your Eircom router to your garage via the power circuit. There was a post here recently about someone having similar issues I must find.

How far away is the cable from your house to garage? Are you sure they are on the same circuit and fuse box? Can you bring the powerline adapter from the garage into your house and connect it to another computer and then test your speed (which if it's normal at ~50Mbps, then it's an issue with the lines from house to garage).

• Advertisement
Advertisement