Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading alone on Sunday- Best hostels in Melbourne?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hey everyone, making the big move on a WHV this Sunday. Flying in to Melbourne. Just looking at hostels now. Lots of options. I'll be living in the hostel for as long as it takes me to find some housemates to move in with. Where would be a good spot to make friends and have a bit of craic? Reasonably priced and decent facilities etc.

I hear a lot of the Irish congregate in St. Kilda. What are the pros/cons of staying here as opposed to the city centre? I'll be looking for a job, any job as soon as I can!

If anyone has any advice please share it. I don't wanna leave it too late and find all the hostels are booked out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

would book asap the tennis is .

habitat in st kilda was the best one i stayed in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't forget you can change hostel if you don't like it.

The thing for me about the hostel life is the people you share with as opposed to the hostel itself. You can get a great hostel but might not be too friendly for whatever reason with the people you share with so that's not good. Equally you can be staying in a bit of a dump but the people in your room are grand so you'd like that much more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I stayed in the habitat in St kilda, and that was pretty good. Full of English and Irish people (you can decide if that's good or bad), and I had a great time. They've changed their rules a bit since I was there regarding alcohol apparently (you could drink in the common area before). Urban central also has a good reputation, though I didn't stay there.

Avoid any hostel in St kilda that isn't the habitat though. There are some absolute, drug riddled, **** holes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thanks guys. I probably should have went for Habitat. I decided to go for Base as I'd heard it's good craic and a great location. May live to regret it when I need some sleep. Ah well, booked for 5 nites. I'll re-evaluate after.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's the thing, do re-evaluate.

If you're in a dorm with people you don't like why not spin the wheel and see what you get next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Base is a good spot.
    Another option in St Kilda is the Ritz over the Elephant and Wheelbarrow on Fitzroy St. I know a lot of people who have stayed there long term or found flat mates by staying there. It can be a bit of a party spot but a lot of hostels have the same complaint. I think price wise, it's meant to be pretty reasonable, more so for long termers. As others have said see how you go with the dorm you're put in and if you don't like it, move.
    Avoid the Oslo, Coffee Palace and walk on the other side of the street when you see the Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

darcy07 wrote: »
    would book asap the tennis is .

habitat in st kilda was the best one i stayed in

+1 on habitat.

Flinders St hostel is an awful dump, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

I asked to be moved because some guy was snoring so loud in my room when I went to a habitat HQ. After changing met another Irish guy. Still mates 2 years later. He also met his girlfriend there.

Really is about the people and not the place to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

good point but the staff at flinders should really be doing something else, emmm, like a job that involves lifting heavy stuff and not much thinking.

Advertisement